Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kangaroo From Aero

GregO

One of the Regulars
I noticed that Aero offers a Kangaroo hide (see the later pictures of the Wayfarer on the Aero site). Does anyone have any experience with that hide? Weight? Wear-ability? Grain structure? Difficulty of break-in?

I have used kangaroo baseball gloves, and they were extremely durable, soft from day one, and lightweight. But I have no idea if those traits have any applicability here.

Thanks in advance.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Kanga has the weight and density of light weight horse. It is dense and very tough and the one jacket I had made of it took 10 years to break in. I'm sure how it is tanned will be a factor.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I asked for a sample and they didn't have one. So I am not sure if it is available at present.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have several pairs of cowboy boots with kangaroo tops. The leather is very tough but also very supple.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Kangaroo hide has been extensively used in professional motorcycle leathers for years, due to its supple nature and high scuff resistance. Should make a nice jacket, IMHO.

samo

One of the Regulars
I asked for a sample and they didn't have one. So I am not sure if it is available at present.

About two weeks ago I also call them and ask for sample but till then they did not have Kangaroo on stock yet.

I also noticed that they removed pictures of Kangaroo hide Wayfarer jacket ?

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
US Wings is also offering kangaroo hide jackets, billed as "limited editions", in the A-2 and the Indy styles. They retail for $849US.

Their website states:
"Limited Edition – Back By Popular Demand! We last manufactured a kangaroo A-2 more than 10 years ago, but we’re once again offering the classic A-2 jacket in this outstanding leather! Besides being a rather rare and unique jacket material, Kangaroo-hide is outstanding for its practicality: it is lighter than goatskin, horsehide, lambskin or cowhide (the most commonly used leather types for A-2 jackets), but it’s much stronger and more durable. Yet the jacket is soft & supple as well, so comfort isn’t sacrificed."

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've seen many Kanga jackets over the years yet to see a pliable one. I know the hide can be soft, especially on small items. Looking forward to seeing the jackets.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Has anyone had the chance to wear or see a kangaroo leather jacket yet?

Everything I read mentions how it is lighter than goat, and yet more durable. Yet people are also saying it is close to horsehide and takes forever to break in.

Which is it? Is it lighter than goat yet still takes forever to break in?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've handled a kangroo Wayfarer at Aero's factory, but I would have to say it's much of a muchness between its weight and that of goat. A stylish and quite unique leather though: identifiably exotic but lacks the roughness and uneven finish of something like kudu.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Never handled a kangaroo leather jackets, but i do have kangaroo motorcycle gloves, and have handled kangaroo racing suits...

To me it doesn't feel anything like horsehide, it is very supple, almost like your average lamb jacket soft and supple, it isn't as thick as cow.
It is awesome in gloves, as it is super soft and even though it is thin it offers better abrasion resistance than most over hides.

One thing worth noting, it has very little grain, and will stay looking wrinkle free for a very long time, at least this is what i have noticed on motorcycle kangaroo...
It does stretch and mould to your body pretty fast in my experience, but doesn't really develop much wrinkles.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
This is directly behind my house. They are everywhere here. I will try to organise some samples for you. It's also interesting to note, kangaroo meat is basically fat free, and has the highest iron content in any meat. They are vermin here, so many car accidents due to roos smashing into the car out of nowhere. A dude in canberra ( where I ilve) died 2 weeks ago after getting cleaned up by a kangaroo on his push bike! image.jpg

wanz

One of the Regulars
My first leather jacket was a US Wings kangaroo one. It is lighter than goat and had no break-in at all. Since then I've but numerous jackets made of FQHH, mid-weight HH, lamb, goat, buffalo, steer, bison, kudu, and (possibly) storse. Of the menagerie of hides, kangaroo is one of my favorites... In fact seeing this thread revived got my hopes up that Aero had started to offer it. I guess I am going to need to continue to rely on RM Williams for my kanga-fix (boots not jackets).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR