Keeping ants out of your house-

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by Blackjack, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack One Too Many

Mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 cup 20 mule team borax in a jar of water. Dip cottonballs in the solution and put them around where you see ants. By day two you won't be seeing them anymore-

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My mother had a seasonal ant problem, showing up in mass columns each year. Raid makes a liquid ant killer/repellant that you just drizzle a tiny bit across the migration path of the ants. It truly stops them dead. It comes in a small (palm sized) plastic bottle with a red label.

3. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Or alternatively, you can sprinkle/spray some peppermint oil where the ants are comming in.......they hate the stuff.

4. philosophygirl78

philosophygirl78 A-List Customer

In Miami, we use cuban cologne to ward them off like this one: [​IMG]

We also use Listerine to fend off mosquitos. And Yes, it is Very Effective.

5. tuppence

tuppence Practically Family

When we had ant problems in previous homes, I'd sprinkle talcum powder around where they were coming in. That would stop them.

6. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

You need to get rid of the queen to get rid of the colony, so it's a good idea, whatever poison you use, to find the main anthill and apply a liberal quantity to it. I've had some luck pouring a kettle of boiling water directly into the hill.

7. Around here, ants are like Michael Jordan (or Kobe or LeBron or whomever your guy is)...you can't stop them, you can only hope to contain them. I get his gel stuff from the exterminator. I'm not sure what's in it, but it works pretty well for a while. But you will get ants. Thems just the facts of life on Gulf Coast.

8. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

We had flying ants in the kitchen the other day, to add to the parade o' ants we usually have.

I'm taking notes on the suggestions above.

My wife had never heard of flying ants before. She thought I was making it up.

Until I showed them to her, on the sheers...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  9. Lean'n'mean

Flying ants are the reproducing members of an ant colony. The bigguns are the queens & the smaller ones the males who die after mating. They emerge a few times a year, usually in hot humid evenings, mate in the air & then the fertilized females will form new colonies elsewhere.

10. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

I'll spare my wife the gory details! And we're looking forward to the new colonies...

11. Dirk Wainscotting

Dirk Wainscotting A-List Customer

I have six ants nests in the garden currently and they're a bloody nuisance. There are constant piles of displaced sand from between the bricks. I'm expecting one day to put a deckchair on there and collapse into a big hole when I sit on it.

12. Lean'n'mean

That is their plan.....
    [​IMG]

13. Chicago Jimmy

Chicago Jimmy Familiar Face

We had flying ants a few times. If you have a vacuum cleaner with the wand, just turn it on..they go right for it and get sucked in. i assume it's the noise their attracted to.

HudsonHawk likes this.
  14. Ants are also attracted to electricity. Every so often I have to replace the contactor switch on the A/C unit or the well pump pressure switch because ants have crawled up there and shorted it out.

15. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Carpenter ants actually depend on the earth's magnetic field to navigate. Electrical wiring gives off enough residual magnetic energy to confuse their direction-finding system.

16. Miss Moonlight

Miss Moonlight A-List Customer

Boric acid powder. It's what my mom's mom used when they were growing up. We put it under floorboards and in nooks and crannies. Ants tend to walk up, and not quite touching it, go the other way. It makes a barrier good enough that I got rid of ants that way in more than one home.

It also happens to end roach infestations, and they take it back to the nest and it destroys the eggs. Silverfish it doesn't work so well on, but it seems to have helped a little here.

Boric acid powder is often sold in bottles with a little squirt cap and is sometimes called Roach Killer.

17. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

http://richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

This product here works really good for any insect control. It has no chemical to it at all. And if you shop around, you can find it "dirt cheap", (pun intended).