Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace it up - The true Corset thread

Sylvanrealm

New in Town
Yes! I have several. I would have more if I could afford them. Some of them are not real, in the sense that they have plastic boning, but others are. My first was one from Charlotte Russe about 5 years ago. It was just for the look because it was all I could afford at the time. Then I got a black brocade waist cincher (hah! -- plastic bones again=no cinching) and a black and red paneled satin-like steel boned corset from Heavy Red. The latter flattened my bust quite a bit (which, as a A cup, I really did not need -- though it would be good under a flapper dress), but was still great. I have two that were custom made with many many measurements and one other steel underbust from AZAC (Azreals Accomplice) which just took waist size. Oddly enough the one from AZAC fits much better that the fully custom underbust from Corinthia's up in Canada. the other custom was made by Meschantes and fits like a glove. I Highly recommend them.
I'd still usually go with custom pieces as everyone's body is different and a great corsetier will know just how to fit yours so it won't bruise or constrict you.

Some links:

http://meschantes.com/ (I own the Diva model without the laces and in a purple/silver brocade diamond pattern)

http://www.azacdesign.com/items/ready-to-wear-corsets/list.htm (I own the top one and it's my most comfortable by far)

http://www.corinthias.net/pointed_cincher.htm (and I own this in black w/purple cherry blossom, though it doesn't fit me this way :( )

Liz

I've wanted a corset ever since I was 16 and working at Frederick's of Hollywood. The price of a real corset put me off for years, but I finally bought my first one in December, and absolutely love it! Unfortunately, I only have one not-very-good photo of it, though this thread may give me an incentive to attempt to take a better picture. ;) It's an underbust made with black leather and pink suede (pink and black are my two favorite colors) and it was made by a local corsetier. I have to admit that it was very expensive, but definitely worth the money in my opinion!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I have about 7 corsets. I have one custom one, and the rest are for costuming.

If I may, I'd also like to point out The Needlewoman, who embellishes custom corsets. I'll post some more of her photos shortly, of stuff that isn't on the site. She is a three time award winning embroiderer and very reasonable in her embroidery charges.

Vintage Betty

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
While I live in Australia, this corset was bought 'off the rack' in Glasgow:

Curves.jpg

though I want a bespoke one this year. Thanks for that article - I live in Canberra so I may have to make a trip to Sydney this year to organise my new corset ...

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I love corsets and own a few, antique and custom.
Here's my 1910 American Laldy corset, tho it's a poor self pic. I need to take some new ones. (I really with these were more clear because my hair was probably the longest it will ever be, and it was curled even!)
620776865_5fa39d93ca_o.jpg

Custom corset for my civil war attire, these were taken with bra and over clothes as I had just gotten it in the mail. I was also 2 week pregnant and didn't know it! :p

More pics here,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/sets/72157600477990807/detail/
and here,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/sets/72157600478002641/detail/
I would love to have more!
Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:

balgal

New in Town
I am looking for a full body corset with garters thats either with spaghetti straps or no straps. I don't have that much money at the moment :( .

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
does anyone know of any sort of shapewear that helps disguise protruding ribs?

i have a cheap wal-mart waist cincher, but it seems to make my ribs worse, with the boning making little mountains out of my ribs...
also have some of the high waisted tights sort of things (like spanx, but not sure of the brand - tj maxx clearance...) but they only serve to keep my thighs from chafing under skirts and do nothing for shaping elsewhere.

Vanessa

One Too Many
maybelaughter said:
does anyone know of any sort of shapewear that helps disguise protruding ribs?

I'm not sure anything would disguise it other than a layer of body fat over the top. I suspect any shapewear would be unhealthy to wear as it would restrict your ribs to a point of injury if they are that prominent.

inge77

New in Town
I love corsets and girdles!!!

Just wanted to say, I absolutely LOVE wearing real corsets (esp. overbust) and girdles!!! I also must say, as a chronic back pain person/sufferer/patient, corsets and girdles help this problem immensely. A good strong corset forces the wearer to stand or sit up perfectly straight whether they like it or not, and a good, strong, high-waisted girdle supports the lumbar spine all the way down to the tailbone, where pain is often the worst. If I could wear these garments every day (I still haven't figured out how to put on a real corset by myself), I absolutely would. This is just my two cents for the day! Oh, and Orchard Corset Center in NYC rocks!!!

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
Vanessa said:
I'm not sure anything would disguise it other than a layer of body fat over the top. I suspect any shapewear would be unhealthy to wear as it would restrict your ribs to a point of injury if they are that prominent.

when i was thinner, my ribs caused their own injuries - getting caught on things and whatnot (only because i'm a klutz and walk into things).... add 15 pounds and they're not as noticible, but since i'm not very busty, i feel awkward if i want to wear things with a smaller visual waist-area.

are there any cinchers/girdles/whathaveyou that would keep from making my ribs appear larger/more prominent (without auctually changing them physically)? the ones i've tried seem to have no support once they're over the stomach area, and focus on lower stomach area shaping.

Emer

One of the Regulars
I have to say, I'm actually very intimidated by corsets. I don't know why--I love the effect they give! I'm going to have to get over my fear though... we have a ball to go to in November and I want one of those sheath/mermaid style dresses and those definitely show off your curves (or flaws)!

KatieD

New in Town
Missy Malone

Yes, it is Missy Malone in some of our pictures. It's been good to work with her more since she'd moved south.

Katie

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
So she's not in Scotland anymore? A couple years ago my dear friend had a fancy dress wedding in Paignton, & hired Missy to come dance. She was delightful.
Here's a shot she allowed me to take the following morning, after our breakfast at the b&b:
1544448481_2857a63b5d.jpg

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
I call Wal-Mart that too lol haha!

I am seriously coveting What Katie Did's Dolly Corset (red, with black trim). I need to save my pennies.

Any other busty girls who wear corsets? Is it better to get one with moulded cups, or forgo the bust coverage altogether?

I generally call it Mart Eisley, and if you get the Star Wars reference, I owe ya a cookie! ;)

Coralee, if I were you I'd base my choice in foundation on measurements in inches, rather than sizes, as it's more reliable. For instance, I'm darn near a perfect hourglass in inches, but that gives me a clothing size discrepancy in that I'm actually three different sizes (yeah, that's just as frustrating as it sounds). :D Hope that's helpful!!!

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Helysoune said:
I generally call it Mart Eisley, and if you get the Star Wars reference, I owe ya a cookie! ;)
'Mart Eisley'!!! LOL You are my new best friend. :) I am such a Star Wars Geek! I am gonna have to start calling it that as well. Now, where is my cookie? lol

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
Helysoune said:

Coralee, if I were you I'd base my choice in foundation on measurements in inches, rather than sizes, as it's more reliable. For instance, I'm darn near a perfect hourglass in inches, but that gives me a clothing size discrepancy in that I'm actually three different sizes (yeah, that's just as frustrating as it sounds). :D Hope that's helpful!!!

Love the Star Was ref :)
I feel your pain being in 3 different sizes.

As for busty gals & corsets, I have a new love for underbust corsets after buying several overbust ones that mostly just smoosh the girls or push them up to my chin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner