Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace it up - The true Corset thread

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Of course, in the Golden Era, they really weren't wearing corsets - they went out in the 20s. But we don't care - as long as it gives you the shape you want, it is no one's business what undies you wear!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Caity Lynn said:
B: I'm looking for a reasonably priced one. Under 200 dollars. That is a real
boned tough corset. None of this Victoria's Secret stretchy crap.
Preferably not hook and eye in the front because I'm afraid they'll
pop. Also preferably a maker that you've had experience with. I'm
gun-shy.

If you're going to spend good money on a corset - get one that is custom fitted to your measurements. There are a lot of bespoke corsetieres over on Etsy if you browse around. I can't recommend one in particular, as I usually make my own, but check out their feedback for reviews.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn B: I'm looking for a reasonably priced one. Under 200 dollars. That is a real boned tough corset. None of this Victoria's Secret stretchy crap. Preferably not hook and eye in the front because I'm afraid they'll pop. Also preferably a maker that you've had experience with. I'm gun-shy. Thank you.[/QUOTE said:
I think you might have trouble finding a decent, well-made corset for under $200. I have made my own corsets and they generally cost at least $100 in materials alone.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Those links are great ladies!!!

What style is more commonly wore? Underbust, waist cinchers, or overbust?

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I bought two underbust corsets from this site: www.timeless-trends.com

I love them so much. He's very reasonably priced. I like the under bust style because it allows you to wear your bra of choice with it. Mine are for outerwear but there are styles available in neutrals for shapewear purposes.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bought this really fab corset at Orchard Corset (on Orchard Street in NYC). Very inexpensive ($59) for a steel boned corset. I loved going into the store - a real blast from the past. To fit me, the women lightly felt my bust, hip, and waist, and yelled my size to her husband. Then we went behind the curtain and she laced me into it!! So fun! I need to go back because I ended up ordering one from the warehouse so it wasn't fitted right to my body. She's a real pro!

http://www.orchardcorset.com/Stunning-Red-Tight-Cinching-Lace-up-Corset_p_14016.htm

Femme709Red.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
That's stunning Miss Bella! Even more stunning is the price ;)

I love husband and wife outfits like that. Ambiance always adds to a retail experience.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
They had special riding corsets that were shorter in length and more flexible than most Victorian corsets for riding. A lot of women would "pick" at their dinner. It wasn't ladylike to appear hungry... meant you weren't as well off as you appeared to be- although a lot ordered something from the kitchen later in the evening after they retired to their rooms.

Lenore, my husband did the same thing to my waist cincher :( Got new garter clips but they're not as nice as the ones it came with.

m_lamb99

New in Town
Riding corsets

Lauren

You are absolutely correct. Back in Victorian times they had corsets for almost every possible sport or activity. As a collector I have a number of these different types in my collection. I have very short ribbon corsets which were mostlikely worn by younger ladies ith petite figures while participating in sports. I also have a corset by the Coronet corset company which is most probably a riding corset. If you would like I will try and attach a photo of it here.

Mike

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
m_lamb99 said:
Lauren

You are absolutely correct. Back in Victorian times they had corsets for almost every possible sport or activity. As a collector I have a number of these different types in my collection. I have very short ribbon corsets which were mostlikely worn by younger ladies ith petite figures while participating in sports. I also have a corset by the Coronet corset company which is most probably a riding corset. If you would like I will try and attach a photo of it here.

Mike

Mike, I would LOVE to see that! Thanks so much for the offer! I don't think I've seen anything other than a period illustration of one.
I think the only Ribbon corset I've seen is the one from the V&A. Those are SO amazing!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Belly dancing corsets?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DwwVU8mPrYg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DwwVU8mPrYg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Sylvanrealm

New in Town
Can anyone point me in the direction of a curvy ready-to-wear underbust corset? I prefer custom made, but I don't have the cash right now. By curvy, I mean that the waist is made somewhat smaller than the hips and underbust. some many ready-made corsets have a cylindrical shape, which just doesn't work on me. Ex of curvy:
Arachna1-1.jpg

I own this one and it fits well, but I'd rather get one without the pointy bits. Not sure if anyone will know, but thought I'd give it a try.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Sylvanrealm...

Have you checked out Timeless Trends? www.timeless-trends.com
I have two of their corsets and I really like them. I'm not sure if they're "curvy." The two I have are currently hanging in my closet at my bf's place so I can't check them out. but they are extremely reasonably priced for a "real" corset.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Any traditionally styled corset (ie made with a steel busk in the front, and steel boning, with bi-directional lacing in back) will be made for curves - that's the whole point of a corset. I've never seen one that wasn't cut narrower in the waist, unless it's a super cheap one with a hook and eye closure down the front.

What's your price range? A lot of quality ready-made corsets are still quite pricey. I've done a ridiculous amount of corset shopping online lately, so if you let me know what you're willing to spend, I can probably point you in the right direction.

As mentioned, Timeless Trends isn't bad price-wise, though I can't vouch for their quality. You can also try Orchard Corset for something cheap. At one step up, maybe try Axfords or Meschantes.

Please note: the corset pictured above does not even come close to fitting that model properly. The bottom of a corset should lay flat against the body, all the way down to the lower edge. If it pops away from the body, it does not fit properly and is not giving you proper shaping.

Sylvanrealm

New in Town
I'm so glad to see responses!
Thanks Jenniferose7, I have been looking at their stock. I've heard very good things about the quality, but have heard from a few that they give a more cylindrical shape. The price is so good, though, and with their return policy, I may spring for one.
KittyT, I realize now that I should have been more specific in defining what I meant by curvy. Some corsets, appear more straight up and down such as the one from timeless trends (below), while others are cut with more curve in the waist, like the one pictured in my last post. The one pictured below would actually compress my hips far too much and give me a less curvy figure than I have now.
1428hr.jpg

My measurements for waist and hips (at the hip bone) are 28" and 35". My corset from azac (the last post) gives my a figure of 24" and 34". (I've lost weight and could do with a smaller size, however). I'm looking for a corset, that, when fully close, will give at least an 8 inch difference. Ironically, the bat corset fits more comfortably and looks better than my custom ones (the tips do stick out, but that seems to be a design element, though I agree that the corset still looks big on the model). I have one that five only a 5 inch waist to hip difference when closed. It also rides up because it compresses the hip area too much.

The price range I'm looking for is around $200. I'll have to look as Meschantes. I have one corset from them from 6 years ago. If they have ready-mades that are less expensive, I'd certainly consider them. I'll have to look at orchard corsets as well. Thanks again for the help!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Sylvanrealm is right in pointing out that some corsets are made to emphasize curves more than others. Historically, corsets had different shapes, and this is reflected in the models of corsets available today. As an easy example, here are three very differently structured models from What Katie Did, there is a clear difference in construction:

Morticia corset

Gina corset

Mae corset

Model 1 and 3 would emphasize the hips and give you a true hourglass figure, while model 2 would compress the hips too, and if they are left un-laced at the bottom, they will gape. On me personally, model two also compresses the ribs too much.

Some corsets promote the hips, some compress them, some emphasize the bust, some compress it, some corsets promote more of an Edwardian type of Gibson Girl S-silhouette. In fact, I just saw that there is an excellent style guide here. You can see how the placement of the boning really makes a huge difference in the shape. Compare the Classic Victorian and the Sweetheart Victorian and how the boning is placed over the chest.

I can say nothing but good things about Dark Garden corsets, and Dita says she used to buy corsets here before she was a big shot. :) They are wonderfully made! Expensive but reasonable for a custom made corset.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
Isn't the difference there more due to the shape of the model and the tightness of the lacing?

Yes, in part. But it does also depend on the cut of the corset, the number of pieces of fabric, the placement of the boning, etc.

For an hourglass silhouette that leaves room for the hips, your best bet is probably a classic style Victorian. However, the style you choose will also need to depend on whether or not you want rib compression or not. A corset offering rib compression, will provide a straight, tapered line down to the waist. A victorian will offer more of a dramatic line at the waist and will be cut so as to accommodate for the shape of the lower ribs.

For $200, I'd definitely try Meschantes or even WKD. WKD has some very nice corsets with gored hips that will give you more of that shape you're looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21