Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies' herringbone suit

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Excuse my approaching the Powder Room - I'll stay at the door, read: inside this thread.

I found this very nice suit. It's not labelled anything like repro or retro, but how would you judge it periodwise?

kerry

One of the Regulars
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Excuse my approaching the Powder Room - I'll stay at the door, read: inside this thread.

I found this very nice suit. It's not labelled anything like repro or retro, but how would you judge it periodwise?

I'm no good a dating things but I think it's a lovely suit!

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Lauren, I was thinking the same thing.

I use this web site a lot for dating clothes.
http://www.fashion-era.com/index.htm

I tried to google "bell sleeves" and "large buttons" to see if it would lead me anywhere.

Some of the skirts that I bought new in the past few months have that same pleat style. Hugs at the hips and the pleats start lower.

I love the outfit! Great find!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
PA Dancer said:
I use this web site a lot for dating clothes.
http://www.fashion-era.com/index.htm

Oh, great - I'll go and have a look right away.

I'm not sure if I caused confusion - the thing isn't a vintage find. Clicking on the picture will take you to the product page. (I have no connection with the company, just stumbled over the link in an article somewhere.)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Oh, great - I'll go and have a look right away.

I'm not sure if I caused confusion - the thing isn't a vintage find. Clicking on the picture will take you to the product page. (I have no connection with the company, just stumbled over the link in an article somewhere.)

Regardless..its a very classic look.

In my opinion, stuff does not have to be of a particular decade to look good and be classy to wear.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh! Then in that case, stylewise it looks late 30's :)
The things that make it modern are the shorter sleeves, and in the 30's you wouldn't really see short sleeve suits in these colors- it was mostly a summer thing and would be most likely linen or cottons and short sleeves were not as short as we have them now- most hit about the middle of the upper arm. The very large covered buttons also make it modern, which were mostly seen in this size ratio in the past on overcoats until the late 50's/early 60's when they started being used more on dresses, etc. The detailing of the pleated skirt, and the matching bias binding and covered buttons make it very period looking. It's adorable!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Thanks, that corroborates my rather uninformed impression - I instantly found it looked thirties, but with a touch of sixties. Then I thought that latter was something about the buttons, but didn't pay attention to the short sleeves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24