Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legendary USA Black Stallion is Back

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They told me that it was going to be these 100 only. Maybe they're now trying to make it sound more interesting because of all the cancellations and hurt reputation? Anyway, good you're pointing it out. All the changes aren't inspiring trust.

I don't think they're lying about that, but I've figured from the beginning that this is a test run and if it goes well, they'll make a permanent version. I expect it will have some differences, like maybe only the 'anniversary edition' will have the mouton collar, or the subsequent versions won't be in 'horsehide'.

CaughtBetweenWorlds

New in Town
I've figured from the beginning that this is a test run and if it goes well, they'll make a permanent version.

It will be interesting to see if they continue selling the numbered jackets after being sold out due to returns, because if this is just a more expensive Hillside with Black Stallion/Legendary branding, I wouldn't be surprised if a chunk of them are sent back.

(edit)

On a side note, when it comes to Buco inspired D-pocket jackets, is there a legal reason Schott can't make their own or is it just a decision on their end?

I know they've released various D-pockets on their own both in the states and Japan, but it seems like a Buco style jacket would be a hit for them.

Last edited:

Arnold

One of the Regulars
In my browser the item page still says "100 lots limited edition" and the latest email reminder says "limited anniversay edition". I'm not seeing "special anniversary edition" anywhere.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I don't think they're lying about that, but I've figured from the beginning that this is a test run and if it goes well, they'll make a permanent version. I expect it will have some differences, like maybe only the 'anniversary edition' will have the mouton collar, or the subsequent versions won't be in 'horsehide'.
I’m not convinced THIS edition is ‘ horsehide’

Aloysius

On a side note, when it comes to Buco inspired D-pocket jackets, is there a legal reason Schott can't make their own or is it just a decision on their end?

I know they've released various D-pockets on their own both in the states and Japan, but it seems like a Buco style jacket would be a hit for them.

Schott is in a fairly unique position among companies making reproduction leather jackets, alongside Lewis Leathers, Cal-Leathers, and Langlitz, in that they were an original maker back in the day.

Thus, when it comes to reproductions, they focus on reproing their own historic models rather than their historic competitors.
I’m not convinced THIS edition is ‘ horsehide’

Hence my quotation marks lol.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
It will be interesting to see if they continue selling the numbered jackets after being sold out due to returns, because if this is just a more expensive Hillside with Black Stallion/Legendary branding, I wouldn't be surprised if a chunk of them are sent back.

(edit)

I sent an email to Jason Schott asking him to please re-release their awesome 1928 D-pocket jacket in horsehide. Gave him a little update on the Legendary USA Black Stallion saga. We’ll see if he gets back to me.

Aloysius

I sent an email to Jason Schott asking him to please re-release their awesome 1928 D-pocket jacket in horsehide. Gave him a little update on the Legendary USA Black Stallion saga. We’ll see if he gets back to me.

Happy to email him as well to show broader support. I’ve been meaning to write him anyway to send a thank you note about something he helped with. Can you DM me his email?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This is the 528us which is exclusively made for the Japanese market. I'd love to have one of these in horsehide. (This one is made out of 'floppy' cow)

IMG_3466.jpeg
IMG_3468.jpeg

Arnold

One of the Regulars
This is the 528us which is exclusively made for the Japanese market. I'd love to have one of these in horsehide. (This one is made out of 'floppy' cow)

View attachment 523898 View attachment 523899
That's a great jacket but for me personally it's not a replacement for a good J 23/ 24 clone. Very different back, no chest pocket, different sewing style on the D-pocket. Wouldn't buy, as good as the quality may be.

The only major deviations (from the historical ones) I want are stronger tapering/ a less boxy torso and moving the inside chest pocket to the right side.

Aloysius

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Makes sense because it's not a Buco repro lol.

Here's the original.

View attachment 523952 View attachment 523953 View attachment 523954 View attachment 523955
I know. But this thread has 18 pages centered around a (formerly) more or less repro jacket, and some people coming here later on (like when they get their current Black Stallion and if it's a disappointment) may mistake the posts about writing to Jason Schott as being concerned with a replacement for the BS.

Good you posted these photos. It's really a very different style from the BS.

CaughtBetweenWorlds

New in Town
Awesome!

They had a Q&A on their IG page a while back and I inquired about them re-releasing a D-pocket and my question wasn't picked LOL

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
I know. But this thread has 18 pages centered around a (formerly) more or less repro jacket, and some people coming here later on (like when they get their current Black Stallion and if it's a disappointment) may mistake the posts about writing to Jason Schott as being concerned with a replacement for the BS.

Good you posted these photos. It's really a very different style from the BS.
I think the first third of this thread was excitement about the new Black Stallion based on the assumption that Schott would be making it again (since Legendary was using pictures of the jacket that Schott produced for them to solicit pre-orders).

The remainder of this thread then turned to some disappointment that it wasn’t Schott, speculation about who was actually making it, uncertainty about the final product, their return policy and maybe some alternatives to the BS in similar price points.

I’m not sure how my comment about encouraging Jason Schott to re-release one of their own popular limited addition jackets would cause any confusion or concern. If I’ve created any, it pales in comparison to the confusion Legendary USA has generated throughout the marketing of the new Black Stallion. I wanted one. I paid for one. Things changed and I got a refund. Now I’m looking for alternatives. Even without the chest pocket, a Schott 1928h Is probably the closest thing to the original Black Stallion. Not that he’ll even read it, but I suggested to Jason that the timing might be right to make it available again.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Even without the chest pocket, a Schott 1928h Is probably the closest thing to the original Black Stallion.
Maybe I'm not understanding. In terms of looks and "user interface", Lost Worlds J-23 and others that are frequently discussed in this forum are closer to the original Black Stallion than the 1928h is. If you meant it's the closest thing _Schott_ have done, then ok, yes.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
Maybe I'm not understanding. In terms of looks and "user interface", Lost Worlds J-23 and others that are frequently discussed in this forum are closer to the original Black Stallion than the 1928h is. If you meant it's the closest thing _Schott_ have done, then ok, yes.
Arnold, yes what I was getting at is that with both the original BS and 1928 being made by Schott, the fit, hide, hardware, manufacturing process and overall look and feel of the jacket would be the same. I do agree that some other models match up closer on design features though.

Aloysius

He means in terms of the hardware, construction, specific horsehide, etc.

Point being that a jacket of equivalently high quality is ‘closer’ to it than a cheap visual copy.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
He means in terms of the hardware, construction, specific horsehide, etc.

Point being that a jacket of equivalently high quality is ‘closer’ to it than a cheap visual copy.
And comparable in another important feature that perhaps I failed to mention…THE PRICE. I’m disappointed that the Black Stallion thing didn’t work out for me but I don’t know if I’m $2500 Lost Worlds disappointed lol.

Aloysius

And comparable in another important feature that perhaps I failed to mention…THE PRICE. I’m disappointed that the Black Stallion thing didn’t work out for me but I don’t know if I’m $2500 Lost Worlds disappointed lol.

The only thing that made this compelling was Schott. Absent Schott, I would go Aero J-106 at this price point.

Not paying Aero/Schott money for Hillside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto