Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Less common colors

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
At this point in my collection I have the standards ... Brown (Fed. Deluxe), Black/Charcoal (Akubra Fedora), Silverbelly (OR), Fawn (Snowy River), Off-white (Panama) ...

I'd love my next hat to be unique, but to still fit in with every day wear (if this is possible).

What are your hat color preferences that are unique, but that you wouldn't want to be without?
How about colors that you thought might not match your casual wear, but that surprisingly seem to go well with everything?

Stoney

Practically Family
Unfortunately there are not very many colors available in production hats these days. Most models only come,in one to three colors. If you want something different you usually have to go with a custom hat, or make it yourself.

I'll go for green as well. I like both sage green and loden green like these two.

Sage:

ChinatownHat.jpg

Loden:

TheHAt.jpg

Instead of custom, or self made, another option is to use a hat with a standard colored felt, like this one, and add a ribbon treatment that is less common to spice it up a bit. If you're on a budget this is always a good option as you can use one of your existing hats, or pick up a nice vintage one on e-Bay.

Platinum-Side-Interior.jpg

Changing the ribbon is pretty easy to do as you only need a steam iron, the ribbon , needle and thread and of course a little patience to do so.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I love my sage custom from Art and really want one in the light blue.
An otherwise less than neutral felt color doesn't have to look loud, if paired with the right ribbon. Art is great at matching colors.

MattJH

One Too Many
kabuto said:
A green hat just doesn't sound right to me. When hats were common, there was leeway to be a bit colorful. But today you're going a bit out there just wearing a hat in the first place, so going psychedelic in the color doesn't seem like a good idea.

I definitely agree with this. Greys, browns, and blacks for me only. I did have an olive-hued stingy brim that was okay, but I ended up auctioning it off specifically because of its color.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stoney said:
Instead of custom, or self made, another option is to use a hat with a standard colored felt, like this one, and add a ribbon treatment that is less common to spice it up a bit. If you're on a budget this is always a good option as you can use one of your existing hats, or pick up a nice vintage one on e-Bay.

Platinum-Side-Interior.jpg

Changing the ribbon is pretty easy to do as you only need a steam iron, the ribbon , needle and thread and of course a little patience to do so.
So what's the story on this "Vox Atomic" hat?
Is it vintage or new custom? Never seen another.
Does Bruce Stone still make hats?

Stoney

Practically Family
Feltfan,

I'm Bruce Stone. This is one that I've recently made from a platinum colored hat body. I was just using this picture to show what can be done with a plain colored felt by adding some variation in the ribbon colors.

I was a bit apprehensive about wearing this one at first , but I've received more complements on this hat than any other that I own. I definitely like the idea of using complementary colors for the ribbon which contrast with the felt color.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Look at your shoes and your jacket. If they are Brown (or the colour of mulch), go with green. If they are Black or grey, go with a blue.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

duggap

Banned
I don't have a green, but I did have Art Fawcett make me a powder blue hat in his HST style. It may just be the color but I get more comments on that hat than any other hat I own. And it does take a little courage to wear it, but I do really like it a lot.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I'm not sure I could pull off blue. Though I'd like the hat, I wear mostly khaki and earth tone colors and just can't see the blue working. I've been curious about green, however ...

I was thinking (if I go too long without finding a great vintage deal and can't afford an Art custom): bluegrass green Campdraft. Anyone have one to post pics of?

barrowjh

One Too Many
There are soooo many different shades of green - and some are downright UGLY - I do not like those that go in the mustard direction. Sage, green-grey, grey-olives, dark olive, those shades are versatile.

Feraud

Bartender
Here is a sage green Stetson.
DSC04535.jpg

Another Stetson in an olive color.
DSC04545.jpg

The two green Stetson's above are hats that will never leave my collection.

Stetson porkpie style in a dark blue
DSC03311.jpg

Knox stingy brim in a lighter shade of blue.
DSC00853.jpg

Lee. Tan with burgundy ribbon and binding.
Picture5441.jpg

Baron Kurtz has a peach/pink Portis that is excellent.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Deep greens and blues, are the colors I choose...

OK. Well, maybe some greens and blues... :)

Certain shades of green are a lot more versatile than some people may think. I love the way that Stetson took care of this in their ads by illustrating certain clothing color combinations that would go well with particular shades of green...

I also love that whole Stetson blue/gray thing:

BluesBros2.jpg

I've since added another OR in this shade that has dimensions that are more like a Strat. Beautiful color.

Cheers,
JtL

Stoney

Practically Family
Right On Johnny!

johnnycanuck said:
Look at your shoes and your jacket. If they are Brown (or the colour of mulch), go with green. If they are Black or grey, go with a blue.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

I agree completely. One other color to thrown in the mix is if you are wearing a yellow-ish shirt or jacket then it's time for a green hat.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
OK. Well, maybe some greens and blues... :)

Certain shades of green are a lot more versatile than some people may think. I love the way that Stetson took care of this in their ads by illustrating certain clothing color combinations that would go well with particular shades of green...

I also love that whole Stetson blue/gray thing:

BluesBros2.jpg

I've since added another OR in this shade that has dimensions that are more like a Strat. Beautiful color.

Cheers,
JtL

Wow! Those are 3 beautiful hats Jimmy!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap How big is the binding on the middle one, I really like that look?!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:
Wow! Those are 3 beautiful hats Jimmy!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap How big is the binding on the middle one, I really like that look?!

Thanks, IC and Bart. They're all Stetsons. From left to right: an Open Road, a 3X version of the Stetson Vogue, and a Whippet. The edge binding on the 3X is 5/8". That particular width of edge binding is reminiscent of the Howard Hughes look...

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Thanks, IC and Bart. They're all Stetsons. From left to right: an Open Road, a 3X version of the Stetson Vogue, and a Whippet. The edge binding on the 3X is 5/8". That particular width of edge binding is reminiscent of the Howard Hughes look...

Cheers,
JtL

Of course the whippet and OR are nice looking lids, but the Vogue with that extremely wide binding and matched ribbon is a real stunner. I'd like to see that one on your noggin, must be a real nice look on a head.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav