Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Cooper:

Here are graphics of the 2514.50s as I received them -- that is, with stainless steel bracelet rather than deployant strap.

Alterations I had Omega make are: Hands are much larger and more aggressively luminescent than shown; both movements have been upgraded to 90-day power reserve version.

These changes do not show in the graphics.

These SMPs are a slightly different sized variation of the mid-sized SMPs. I have no idea why this watch does not have identical exterior dimensions with standard SMP mid size, but there it is.

While I could have adjusted/altered Omega's SMP deployant strap to fit these lugs, when I received it from Omega and looked at what the result would be, I returned the strap immediately. Deployant clasp is huge. It would have occupied nearly the entire underside of my wrist. I went with a much smaller clasp and am satisfied.

SeaMSTRkinetic1.jpg

SeaMSTRkinetic2.jpg

SeaMSTRkinetic3.jpg

Naphtali

Practically Family
While one was being upgraded, I wore the other. Besides, Omega guarantees support for 2514s only until 2017. After that, I cannibalize may back-up to keep the other running. . . . Well, maybe I don't believe it either.

Chaperon

New in Town
Thanks one and all -

I really liked the Hamilton Boulton when I saw one. Retro but not hokey and well built. I think it will meet my needs & wants quite well, leaving some money for other things (like a new Panama:D ).

I'm sure I'll be buying one this next week - either the standard one or the extra large case version. I'm trying to find an XL one somewhere in either the Atlanta area (where I live) or in Chicago (go there for work often). The regular case version is quite good but the larger case version may look more proportional - if I can find one.

Thanks to all here for (yet again) very valuable information !!

cooper

One of the Regulars
Chaperon said:
I really liked the Hamilton Boulton when I saw one. Retro but not hokey and well built. I think it will meet my needs & wants quite well, leaving some money for other things (like a new Panama:D ).

I'm sure I'll be buying one this next week - either the standard one or the extra large case version. I'm trying to find an XL one somewhere in either the Atlanta area (where I live) or in Chicago (go there for work often). The regular case version is quite good but the larger case version may look more proportional - if I can find one.

Thanks to all here for (yet again) very valuable information !!
Good choice. My brother has the Boulton. He loves it.My Daredevil is from the Linwood line. I see Hamilton as a high quality watch with a reasonable price tag

Rafter

Suspended
Tank-Style Watches

The rafter has been looking for a reasonably priced Hamilton Tank-Style watch.
Guess the brand Hamilton does not seem to go with "reasonably' priced.
Just saw this alternative. May have to settle for it.
oft812.gif

1941 Waltham Premier Freemont Gents Tank Wrist watch. This is a beautifully, professionally restored Wadsworth Tank Style Case in 14K Solid Gold. Great Vintage Glass crystal is in mint condition. Original Gold Satin Dial is in excellent condition with LARGE, Stylized Arabic Numerals. Elaborate Enumerated Seconds Bit with sweep second hand at the 6 position. Handsome gold Dauphine Hands in beautiful condition. Movement is a Crescent Street Model Grade 750, 17 Jewels, fully restored and running well. The watch has been outfitted with a genuine calf skin strap with standard gold-tone buckle.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Not all Hamiltons are highly priced... I didn't pay too much for this one at the time. i just rthink it suits me and my attitude.

Very nice Waltham. I need a good vintage pocket watch. Never had a good vintage one. plenty of modern battery powered models mind you... i have a good fobb I lent Manton in London... I just need the watch with it to go.

Here is my Hamilton.

Hamilton2-vi.jpg

Flivver

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
Not all Hamiltons are highly priced... I didn't pay too much for this one at the time. i just rthink it suits me and my attitude.

Very nice Waltham. I need a good vintage pocket watch. Never had a good vintage one. plenty of modern battery powered models mind you... i have a good fobb I lent Manton in London... I just need the watch with it to go.

Here is my Hamilton.

Hamilton2-vi.jpg

Matt...You and I wear the same watch! Mine was given to me by my dad...it was his high school graduation gift in 1937 from my grandparents. Due to his diminished eyesight, he now prefers a watch with a large white face and black numerals.

I believe this model is called the Boulton II. I wear mine every day. I would post a picture but I don't yet have a digital camera.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Actually it's the boulton. The bolton II is the reproduction that Hamilton put out a few years back and still makes. the one I have is slightly smaller dimension than the II and it must be wound. I actually oned the Boulton Ii before going for the vintage model.

Private Eye

New in Town
Are pocket watches out of the question?

I've been "sans" wristwatch now for a couple of years in favor of the distinctive pocket watch with an assortment of fobs for when I'm not wearing a vest. I highly recommend them.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmm? I'm not sure what era you're going for but I'm certain that metal watch bands have been around since th 50s and probably late 40s...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are looking for a "vintagey" watch why not simply find an old Bulova or whatnot that has been reconditioned? All you need is a source that can repair as needed for the future and there are still jewelers who have the ability to work on them.

Once cleaned and regulated old wind-up mechanisms will work fine for years.

cooper

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
If you are looking for a "vintagey" watch why not simply find an old Bulova or whatnot that has been reconditioned? All you need is a source that can repair as needed for the future and there are still jewelers who have the ability to work on them.

Once cleaned and regulated old wind-up mechanisms will work fine for years.
http://www.coolvintagewatches.com/Cool/Cool_Vintage_Watches.htm

chucklehead

A-List Customer
great watches. great recommendation. how about a panerai? :p

cooper said:
Hamilton makes some fine watches. They have a vintage line also reasonably priced.http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/index_flash.html
I have a Hamilton "Daredevil" styled after the movie with Ben Affleck.
h18515737.jpg

http://shop.joseph-watches.com/joseph/en/FMPro?-db=gaj.fp5&-format=index.html&-view
http://www.yorktime.com/
http://www.girards.com/
http://www.finertimes.com/asp/watches/query.asp?mode=toplevel&Title=Timepieces&TypeCode=0

That should keep you busy for a while.
The top on, Josephs has the best, but you'll pay also.I have a few more links at home I'll send you that have reasonably priced watches.

I recommend buying a Hamilton.
h13511753.jpg
Retro style and quality and it's new. I have a 70's Omega and the Day stopped working on it. You really have to be careful buying older watches.
http://www.wristwatch.com/category.aspx,,categoryID,,14914

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou