Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I've had a couple of Leon Piradet watches over the years and found them to be pretty decent watches. Not super high quality, but very good quality generic swiss 17 jewel movements. 60 bucks is a fair price if they're clean and in good running condition, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look at what's available on eBay. I think I picked mine up for about 25 bucks, but eBay always a crap shoot as to their running condition. Caveat emptor.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Vintage Bling

Here's a very flashy gold watch fob that I picked up a few days ago:

fob1.jpg

I plan to wear it with my equally flashy Waltham:

walthamP1.jpg

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
More Vintage Watches!!!!

Here's another one for the ladies:

Watch1.jpg

The story about it is more interesting than the watch itself, which doesn't even have real stones, and is probably just one of those white gold filled numbers. This watch came from Ann Miller's estate, as, my friend, Greg Schreiner, who collects movie costumes, got it in a lot of items he purchased at an auction of Ann Miller's possessions. A close-up of the watch's face:

Watch2.jpg

This is my grandfather's Hamilton:

WatchHamilton.jpg

A shot of the back of my grandfather's initials engraved on the Hamilton:

WatchHamilton2.jpg

The next one is kind of interesting, as, it's a "Mystery" watch:

WatchMystery1.jpg

The band on the "Mystery" watch is by Allan Adler, "Siversmith To The Stars," it's ebony and sterling silver.

A close-up of the "Mystery" watch's face:

WatchMystery2.jpg

The hallmark on the Mystery watch's clasp:

WatchMysteryAllan.jpg

JEEP

Practically Family
Nice collection DecoDahlia - the ladies' watch is a beauty :eusa_clap

That "mystery" watch is quite interesting - I haven't seen one like that before.

/Jakob

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
I've posted this one before, but I'm wearing it today and thought I'd post it "in action":

1945 Omega "bumper" automatic. 18k yellow gold case.
Banda custom alligator strap with 18k yellow gold vintage buckle (not seen):
WAYWN012.jpg

JEEP

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
Wild about your Omega Officer, Jakob.
Great find!:eusa_clap

Thanks. I can bring it to Copenhagen next time I go there - maybe you are interested in seeing it in person over a drink/cup of coffee? :)

/Jakob

henderson field

New in Town
RFC Hamilton Khaki Watches

I wonder could anyone give an opinion on Hamilton's Khaki range of wrist watches?

I am attracted to this range as they are similar in appearance to the war-time watches used by US Marines and other service personnel. Also, as part of my 'flight from technology', I would like a mechanical ( or, at a pinch, automatic) watch.

My choice has come down to the Khaki Field Mechanical with an olive green canvas strap, or the Khaki Field Mechanical Officer with a leather strap. Does anyone have any experience of the canvas straps? Are they hard wearing and comfortable to wear?

Any information will be gratefully received.

AdvThanksance.

HF

Mark G

A-List Customer
I've said this before on this forum that I think the Hamilton's are a great buy in watches. The Khaki Field Auto uses an Eta 2824 hacker movement that beats at 28,000 B/Second, with a 36 hour reserve and 25 jewels. They are both owned by Swatch, which has a stake in a lot of watch companies. This movement is used in everything from Brietlings to Omegas (with some tweaks, even the Navitimer uses it with the chrono complication). They have sapphire crystals and can be had for a little over $300. US.

I've had mine for over a year and it keeps time as well as watches costing 10 times the amount. As for the canvas band I opted for the leather because the canvas threads through the pins and adds bulk. The leather bands only last me about a year before they fall off so I don't think the canvas would be any worse.

Hope this helps.

Speedster

Practically Family
Well here's my contribution to this thread:

My small collection:

116_1631.jpg

Omega from ??; Election Watch Co (Swiss company which no longer exists).
A gift to my father in 1950. And my daily watch, Rolex Submariner bought new in 1982.

Anyone knows anything about the date and style of the Omega and something about the Election Watch Company?

JEEP

Practically Family
Speedster:

Maybe we should make a small gathering in Copenhagen someday - looking at watches over a g&t :)

The watch at Krognos went to someone else - I was actually planning to buy it, untill I found out that the hands weren't matching the watch (though they were probably changed sometime in the 40s or 50s).
I have an original 40s Revue "Thommen" (probably a military watch), an art-deco Louis Grisel and a 14 karat 1938 Omega 30 mm. on the way at the moment + a couple of ladies watches.

Your watch collection is beautiful. If you should ever decide to part with that art-deco Omega I will pay you more than you will get from an professional watch dealer. I belive it to be from the 30's or early 40's - though the type was made as early as the early 20's. I unfortunally don't know anything about the Election Watch Company - but back in the days there were litteretly hundreds of big and small watch manufacturers.

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
I will :)

I just recieved these three watches in the mail today:

6.jpg

A late 40s/early 50s Revue Sport. A classic mid-price watch of the day. The movement runs smoothly - but it will have to go to my watch repairman for a cleanup (especially the dial), a polish and to have the luminos in the hands replaced.

1.jpg

A 40s/50s Omega ladies watch with quite a special dial - this one needs to have the movement cleaned and oiled. I am planning to give it to my girlfriend as a present once I have had it cleaned and polished.

4.jpg

An interesting little 30s ladies watch in gold double with a two-tone dial (hard to see in the pic) and an original(!) 30s band - this one runs like is was new, quite impressive! I'm not quite sure what to do with this one yet.

/Jakob

GWD

One Too Many
1947 Rolex Bubble Back

web.jpg
This watch was just given to me by my mother for my 40th Birthday. It belonged to my Grandfather. As the story goes, my Grandfather worked for the American/Arab oil company called ARAMCO. Evidently this watch was presented to my Grandfather for his outstanding work by the Crown Prince himself. I have no proof this story is true but it makes for a good conversation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy