Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liking it better

grunt56

New in Town
USfr.jpg

This is my US/A seal brown horse that I bought new a few weeks ago. I’m still curious to see what the 800.00+ buck jackets have in the way of finer leather and detail but this one suits me fine as an every day/ tough as nails jacket I wear to work. The one thing that did bug me about the jacket was the glaring shine the thing had. After a week I got brave and lightly wet the jacket down with 70% strength rubbing alcohol [twice in fact] and let it dry. That cut the shine factor at least half and I’m happy about it. When I let a friend try it on now I can see the jacket clearly rather than the gloss. I did worry some that I might hurt the hide’s finish with alcohol but I felt it was worth the risk to get the desired effect. So far it hasn’t seemed to suffer from the treatment.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
Grunt56 I think your speaking my language (every day/tough as nails)
nice looking jacket man. im callin US/A monday to get one....
Tom

grunt56

New in Town
Good luck Tom. Just keep in mind the US/a is cut kind of long. Mine is
a 42 reg and it's about an inch longer in the body and sleeves than I think a regular should be. If you are shorter than 6' tall I'd recommend a custom fit. Thing is if you spend for that you're in the price range for a good used Eastman or Aero if you can find one. Its kind of a crap shoot either way- I mean buying something like a leather jacket without trying it on first.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
Well i couldent buy of E-bay or anything like that, i will have to get custom
any place i order from, I am 6'8". it is nice to know that US/A's jackets run long.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I have one of their goat A-2's for over a year and it is a tough jacket. I would not recomend getting USA jackets in tall size unless you really have long arms and torso. I am 189cm and my jacket is a 46t. I usually wear a 48r, but thought a 46 would give me a trimmer, military fit and i like my sleeves a little long. Should have gone with the 48R this time too. Not USA's fault, just my sizeing fault. It may not be WWII accurate, but who is going to notice other than collectors and maybe Vets? Get one. I think you will be very happy.

grunt56

New in Town
Yeah Tom- I agree you’ll probably be happy with US/a. I did well going a size down from my usual 44 because the 42 I received measures 24” pit to pit. The smaller size jacket is also plenty ample in the shoulder area even though I have a hefty build. Had I gotten the 44 that was suggested it would have been arm crossing comfortable with droopy shoulders I think. The only place it’s a little snug is the arms-while plenty long they aren’t cut as full as some. I recommend you give them measurements straight off a jacket that fits you to avoid mistakes.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
well according to US/A's size info page i am 47" one inch below armpit,21"
shoulder, 30" center of back and 38 3/4 sleeves according to how they would have me measured and i had this done at a big/tall clothing store that i go to
often and i had myself measured only with a shirt on. i do have another jacket i got for my birthday, its cables bush pilot lamb skin in 2xLT and it fits
great! but dont know if i could use it for sizing. when i called US/A i talked to shaul and he asked my hight/weight. i gave him my info and for a few seconds there was silance then he said "oh my?!" anyway i will have him
send me his biggest one they make, a 48T to check it out and then go from there.
Tom

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
if that 48t is to big in the chest I would be willing to let my 46T go if you are interested. it is only one year old and i only wore it a few times. reason being is that i have a lost worlds A-2 and 2 Indy jackets, cafe racer and a GW that should be here in the next few weeks. closet is getting full as you can see.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
just putting it out there. each maker has thier own sizes and so they vary with each style and maker. it is totaly up to you. are you tall and big or just tall? i have a 47.5 chest and the 46t is a hair snug. but it is an A-2. The sleeves are plenty long though.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
im big & tall and i was measured out to 47".let my try the 48T and then i will let you know. somehow i dont think that the 48T is going to be big enought
but let me check it out i will get back to you.
Thanks Tom

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Two thumbs up!

grunt56 - I like the look of the seal brown. I've got the russet brown version of that jacket. I've had it for a year and have to agree that it is a very rugged jacket. I've worn it in all types of weather; done yard work in it; and worked on motorcycles and cars in it. The jacket takes abuse and just keeps asking for more. :)

I would recommend this jacket also - it's a great value.

Noel

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
whiskey tango fox, where is the over? i wanted to get hh usa but just couldn't; at the time; justify that kind of money, so i settled for a goat as my first A-2. USA jackets are very well made if not exact copies, but their web site i think states that they combine the best of all the styles. so you know upfront you are not getting an exact repo of a dubow per say.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
davyjones007 said:
whiskey tango fox, where is the over? i wanted to get hh usa but just couldn't; at the time; justify that kind of money, so i settled for a goat as my first A-2. USA jackets are very well made if not exact copies, but their web site i think states that they combine the best of all the styles. so you know upfront you are not getting an exact repo of a dubow per say.

Ha ha! You are the first one to understand the meaning of my username. :) I also agree that U.S. Authentic's jackets are very well put together. By the way, how is the U.S. Authentic goatskin? Is it pretty thick like their horsehide?

Cheers,

Noel

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
wtf- the goat feels like you could slide down the freeway in it and come away with a great story, but the jacket does not feel heavy; not like my LW HH A-2 or my cow Indy jacket. it is soft with some very nice grain and a deep choco color to it. i like it very much. the only problem is that it will be 1 of 3 A-2's in the closet and since i only wore it a dozen times or so, well i just don't need it. I did like their russet HH and if it wern't for GW and LW I would have got it back in the fall. so do you use the radio sign "wtf-k". nobody would get that, except for us military folks probably.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
Oh yha seal Horse hide it is. cant wait to see it. i even went and picked up
the trailer at the rail yard that has my shipment in it!
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran