Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lincoln Brigade Jacket

fishmeok

Vendor
I needed to make a jacket to get used to my new machine (different presser foot, feed, speed, and feel-had to learn top stitching again) I used a hide and buttons Jeff contributed to the cause (Dubow A-2) and made a size 48 mostly based on the Spanish Civil War A1/A2 hybrids. I used tanker jacket knits from ATF and an aluminum YKK zipper. The liner is brushed cotton I found at the local fabric warehouse. I really like the features of this jacket and will be making more of them in a more traditional color (just got a nice reddish brown cowhide today). I think I may run this through the wash to see how the leather creases up, just for fun. this was a fun one to make, but it would have been better if I wasn't trying to get a mortgage this week, my frustration level is pretty freaking high right now. I think the underwriters want the blood of my dead ancestors, triple verified and notarized, then mixed with my own and used to sign the application before they will even think about it. Maybe my first born too.

Cheers
Mark

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1847-1.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

alden405

A-List Customer
Holy snapping catfish!

That is really cool!,

Im a big fan of the interwar windbreakers and love this style.Top shelf stuff.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
That is a fantastic jacket. I've been reading about the 1930s Spanish jackets over at VLJ. This is a wonderful homage to those military/civilian specials.

I'm a 46", by the way! :D

fishmeok

Vendor
Thanks everybody.
It's a little more kelly green than it looks in the pics, but fairly close. This is my first 48 and it worked ok, but ended up being narrow in the shoulders and stout in the tum, which is period accurate for some A-2's, but I think I want the shoulders a little bigger next time I try a 48. My technical skills are coming along nicely, but as always I am having pattern issues. I need to go to the library and do some more research on pattern making. The jacket is quite big- I am fairly swimming in the thing.

This was the first jacket with my new machine, and there was a steep learning curve. Lots more power and fewer skipped stitches, but the new one is more of a truck and not as easy to manipulate. You can see that in my uneven topstitching. I may have to get some specialized presser feet for this machine instead of just doing everything freehand.

Essentially this is an A-2 body with no windflap, M-422A pockets, A-1 back assembly, and a knit collar. I can get pretty far and do some interesting things just by mixing and matching A-1, A-2, and M-422A bits. It's getting really fun, but there are always issues...
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
Fletch said:
With whom I am very closely acquainted.

zoomer reminds me that the zipper-closure A-1 was a favorite of civil aviation between the wars. Paul Mantz and Amelia Earhart both wore it.

You MIGHT say he's like an evil twin, only not so much with the evil part :)

As looks and functionality go I like the zipper closure on this jacket better than the buttons. But the zipper also eliminates the collar overlap you get with an A-1 which I also like. Tradeoffs[huh]

I'm going to make another one of these next with my new reddish brown hide, should be pretty nice. If I can get my top stitching in order I plan to double top stitch it like an A-1. Will also make the collar a little bigger and use a contrasting O.D. or Khaki zipper. Will also use my new period accurate glazed cotton thread...

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
alden405 said:
im having no luck registering on the vlc forum...
The login system appears to be messed up.
I forgot my password and requested a new one.
They sent one immediately... which doesn't work!

alden405

A-List Customer
Im now registered,it apears that m 1st,2nd and 3rd attempts contained use names allready registered
so alden405,badseed and truscott i really like all those names

alden405 said:
im having no luck registering on the vlc forum...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails