Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lining choice opinions

Dav

One Too Many
Gents
I've recently ordered an Aero in brown oil-pull and have asked for a black lining because I rather like this one.
Blackdrillonbrown.jpg

Here is a pic of the colours I'm actually thinking about.
IMG_3317.jpg

I know colour choice is a personal thing but was just wondering what others thought of this choice.
I'm not a fan of the tartans and don't want Alpaca this time, so do you guys think the above shade of brown and black cotton drill is an error or do you think it will be fine?

Well, its black...I'm not big on boring jackets these days. I would have done that too some time ago, but I'd rather have something unique in my closet...That's said, not much wrong with the combo, per se.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My preference would be either brown or mustard cotton drill lining rather than black in this instance. However, black is a rather universal color that can probably go with just about anything.

Peacoat

Bartender
As Jrfancher said above, I think I would go with the brown or the mustard, probably the brown. But if you like the juxtaposition of the black and brown, that would work as well.

Edward

Bartender
Looks fine. Personally, given the option I'd prefer a dark brown, or a bottle green drill, maybe, as I'm not especially keen on mixing brown and black. It doesn't look glaringly "wrong", though, and if you're happy with it, that's the important thing. It'll rarely be noticed, really, bearing in mind the lining won't really be on view when it's being worn.

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks again for all your suggestions, I,m still a bit unsure which way to go, plenty of time to make up my mind though as I only placed the order last week.

Windward

Practically Family
Hi Dav - I've made the same decision with my Vintage brown FQHH Windward - and I love it. For my taste brown horsehide and black lining looks more "luxury" while brown and brown are not really amazing. Ask if you'll get the old black cotton drill which is like denim, or the newer black cotton drill which is more poplin.
BTW: ONLY you will see it - before you jump into your jacket - nobody else will care about your lining if they give compliments to your jacket.

Last edited:

mattp

One of the Regulars
I don't think you can go wrong with black, brown or olive. I think the black looks great, and for me it would be that or olive, since the brown is almost too much of the same and I prefer a little contrast. I would consider asking for gabardine rather than drill, I've opted for olive drab gabardine in the sleeves of my brown FQHH cafe racer which should be getting made in the next week or two.

Here's a pic of the oil-pull horsehide with brown gabardine lining, borrowed from Giles of Iron Heart UK:

32346b40.jpg

Enjoy your new jacket when it arrives, and enjoy the process of creating it!
Cheers,
Matt

Dav

One Too Many
Ask if you'll get the old black cotton drill which is like denim, or the newer black cotton drill which is more poplin.

Thanks for that tip Windward, I'll enquire about that tomorrow, the sample I have is from a couple of years ago so I assume it's the heavy one of which you refer.

The jacket you posted is the one that inspired me to go for the Oil-pull Matt, it does look rather nice doesn't it!

alsendk

A-List Customer
I would like also to support you in your choice of black lining. This will give full attention to your jacket, and as mentioned above...when closed, only you knows about the lining colour, so if regretting, no harm is done, but black would be the colour I would choose myself.
Good luck

Windward

Practically Family
Black meets brown ....

Dav - this is for you ... stick with it!

Brown FQHH with black fine cotton poplin - also very long lasting (outdoor pic)
VinatgeBrownwithblackcottonpoplinoutdoor.jpg

Brown FQHH with black fine cotton poplin (indoor pic)
Vintagebrownwithblackcottonpoplinindoor.jpg

Black FQHH with black rough cotton drill (indoor pic)
VintageBlackFQHHwithblackcottondrill.jpg

Dav

One Too Many
Ah, thanks for that Windward, I thought from your first post that were implying that older version was preferable, beautiful jackets BTW!

Windward

Practically Family
I feel a "bit warmer" in the heavy cotton drill than in the more refined cotton poplin ... I love both ... but for my next jacket I would take the refined cotton. For chilly weather I have alpaca and shearling lining to keep me warm and cosy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner