Lock & Co.

Discussion in 'Hats' started by geo, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Wapitiway

Wapitiway New in Town

Thanks everybody.....been trying to pick a custom maker...trying to do my homework so I don't ask redundant questions but it's tough to know who to go with....

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Pick any of the good reputable hatters and you won’t be disappointed. It’s not rocket science and all the competent hatters whose work shows up on The Lounge to rave reviews will do right by you. My personal favorites for quality and value are: VS, Gannon, Phoenix, Northwest, and Tumwater...in no particular order. All of the make excellent beaver fur felt hats in the under $400 range. Lots of other hatters are just as good, but I don’t have personal experience with them.

The only truly bad experience I’ve had with a custom hat maker was with Staker Hats. D’Aquino also had some serious issues, but at the price it’s hard to complain to much about her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M Hatman likes this.
  3. The Nid Hog

The Nid Hog New in Town

I have a Sandwich tweed cap from Lock & Co. I love it.

4. milandro

milandro One of the Regulars

I saw this advertised and the hatband made me want to buy it more than anything else.

It somehow reminds me of the hatband ( puggaree) on Australian Army hats [​IMG]

while everything else would suggest more of a Tirol kind of hat.

Would anyone be able to ID this hat ( I will also try to write to the company but my experience with hat company’s answering emails is very bad to date).

It is made of humble wool, in a semi-long hair sort of fashion, but it is very soft and comfortable and it says it is “ Made in England " . Quite a few of their hats are made abroad these days. Maybe this has some age? Can’t be really old. I couldn’t find it on the company site.

I also like the color and Melé finish ( I am unsure of how you call this felt made of a blend of different colors , I am quite sure I saw a thread on these kind of hats but was unable to find it). Click to expand Lock and co. 1.jpg Lock and co. inside.jpg

Lock and Co 2..jpg

steur likes this.
  5. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks like one of their cheap women's hats for the non-discerning shopper. I've seen similar ones online. Probably doesn't have a model name as it was no doubt just part of batch that was sold for a short period before being replaced by a different el cheapo model. Such is disposable fashion.

6. milandro

Highly unlikely! It would nee be a very large head ( 60 cm 7 1/2 UK ) for a woman! I can’t believe this is a woman’s hat. The women’s hat I have seen on their site don’t look anything like this and aren’t sized with sizes other than M L and XL. Different kettle of fish

I would be asking them but at their address info@lockhatters.co.uk the emails bounce back.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  7. Lean'n'mean

Don't let large sizes mislead you, I've seen women's hats in the larger sizes, no doubt catering for hair mass & there are ladies with bigger heads than fellas out there. :rolleyes:
    Lock & Co do sell some quality gear but when a hat looks like it's made from a blanket & with a cloth sweatband, it is aimed at the lower end of the market.

[​IMG]

steur likes this.
  8. Lean'n'mean

Just tell them you're asking on behalf of David Beckham & you're sure to get a reply. It's doubtful they keep records of this kind of hat though.

9. milandro

I did get an answer fro the PR person of the company whom wasn’t able to provide (as you predicted ) any information other that it wasn’t in the current catalogue.

Meanwhile I am enjoying the hat very much and it looks quite dapper, if I may say so myself, even if it may not be belonging to the most expensive range of their hats (although there aren’t really “ cheap” ones that I can see anywhere).
    Lock and co. wearing .jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    steur and M Hatman like this.
  10. milandro

Interesting, where did you get the picture of the hat above ( the one I am quoting)? The Puggaree seems to be similar but mine is stitched closed while yours seems to be rather loose and open and I see a pin sticking out which makes me think that you have been folding the puggaree on a similar body hat (is it the same hat? Does it have the sticker inside?)

The puggaree is just plaited but not stitched like mine, also the “ well” above the crown seems to be very small ( but then again my hat is rather large) and the woolen felt not as tight a fabric as mine

I don’t understand if you have the same hat or if you recreated it. The proportions look quite different. Please, advise.

steur likes this.
  11. Wear and Enjoy!!!!! When it comes down to it...cheap.....expensive....wool or fur felt.....all that matters in the end is that you like it and wear it!!!!
    M;)
    PS I have wool and fur and love them all..........

Rmccamey, deadlyhandsome and milandro like this.
  12. milandro

Thank you! I certainly do enjoy this hat. An I am not hung up on beaver felt as the only form of headdress. As I said what attracted me to the hat was the puggaree which gives this a sort of military look . My wife likes the color and the texture of the wool felt.

Pellie likes this.
  13. milandro

and very strangely here another hat, by another English Hatter , Herbert Johnson, very similar to the one I bought, sporting the same puggaree hatband and a similar label

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Rmccamey, steur and BobHufford like this.
  14. steur

steur

Which makes it likely that neither of them was the manufacturer, but they just provided the brand. No matter though: as Mark said: as long as you enjoy wearing it.
    Lock&Co certainly don't do cheap and I would consider them overpriced for their quality and banking on their "tradition". Being located at St. James comes at a price I guess.

milandro likes this.
  15. milandro

I think that the same is true of Stetson ( the wool felt variety for example) which has hats made by other companies. They are , by the way, not cheap either.

steur likes this.
  16. steur

steur

Nothing against high priced hats, as long as the quality matches up to it. I try to limit my Stetson hats to the ones that were made by them. That's not strictly true, because I had a few that were made under license by Failsworth and by Mayser. But those did live up to the Stetson name.

17. milandro

some of the stuff they sell on their European site (run by a independent German company not directly from them in the US) has made my rise an eyebrow or two...

https://stetson.eu/nl/nieuw?p=2

steur likes this.
  18. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

I'm not sure of when the companies conglomerated, but in recent years, the same factory has been putting out Christy's and Lock hats, and I presume Bates as well. Until they spun off to their own workshop, Herbert Johnson seemed to have been made there as well, as many Indy fans were noting the similarities between the old HJ offering and the Christy's Adventurer.

steur and deadlyhandsome like this.
  19. steur

steur

Must have been Christy's then. They are still in business. I do hope they make better hats for the other brands than they do these days under their own brand name. Those are just plain awful.

Rmccamey likes this.