Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long Lashes

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
I'm curious to know how many of you wear fake eyelashes, and for what occasions...

I used to know gals in the Bay area who wore them every day, but they both used the little clumps of just a few hairs that get glued on one at a time. Sounds tedious. Any preferences/personal accounts?

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I think they can look wonderful when they are on properly...but boy do they sure feel like a big spider on your eyelid. I only wore them when I was taking dance a few years back and we had our end of the year dance recital.

I think I did try to wear them on a couple of evening occasions, but I constantly felt the prescense of those darn things and I would rather not wear them. I have decent eyelashes anyhow...so...I am lucky I can do without them.

Elaina

One Too Many
I go through stages where my eyelashes break off and grow back. Eventually they'll stop coming back. When I lose them, I wear them day to day, when they're grown out enough I wear one or two strands to just cover the holes left.

I just got my eyelashes grown in enough I can wear my "real" lashes again (this week, even) although when I wear my contacts I still usually plop them on. I went from having real lashes that were long and thick to sparse and shorter and I like the look of the longer ones.

I also gre up with my mom wearing them all the time because she lost all hers, so it was never a huge issue for me wearing or not.

Elaina

Snookie

Practically Family
Elaina, it sounds like you must have some tips! Do you use full lashes or the individuals? Are there tricks to applying them? I've never worn any, and I'd be so afraid of looking fake.

Elaina

One Too Many
I wear both.

For full lashes I usually wear what looks rather sparse in the package. With lashes underneath, it gives the fullness and extra length. Look for products that have the applicator tweezer with it, it makes it a whole lot easier in the beginning. Then just practice. It took me about 3 days to apply them properly. Now I can do it without looking in the mirror.

Indiiuals are a different matter tho. I usually use tweezers and dip the end in glue and apply then where I need them (since it's not in the corner. Mine is usually 4-8 over the iris part of my eye) and it just takes time. Applied in the same fashion, on the lid and as close as you can get.

Eyeliner becomes a must however. While the glue does dry clear, you can see it. Be aware any false lashes look false, save for the individuals. If used sparingly, they're not so bad, and can be undectable. You can minimize some of it by getting lashes that aren't as long/thick or by applying too many indies too close together. Indies cover holes or add a touch of volume.

Elaina

Snookie

Practically Family
For eyeliner, do you have to use liquid, or does pencil work? (I usually wear pencil, but I'd probably only wear false eyelashes at night, so I'd be okay with liquid.)

Is the glue water-soluble? Could perspiration dissolve it?

Elaina, it's super-impressive that you can apply them without looking!

KAT

A-List Customer
i always get the question if i wear fake lashes...but mine seem to be very long!
once i went to MAC and got my make up done and she told me i dont need fake lashes. i think i got lucky but i still use them every now and then

Elaina

One Too Many
I use liquid, but I'm blind as a bat anyway, so a lot of it is trial and error. Liquid doesn't upset the bond, and it causes a kind of overseam to it, but I'd try it and see if it works for you.

I go to the Church here in Dallas in them, dance and get hot all night long and only once did the lash come loose when I was first wearing them. In the begining as you're learning to keep them on and apply them, I'd check on them every so often, but I usually have to peel them off. It's all about practice, practice, practice with falsies. And that includes learning how much glue you need. I need less then my mom does, but I wear different kinds too. One other thing, DO test the length before applying glue. I (and my mom) are one of the few people we know that never has to cut them down. I have a friend that has to take off about 6 lashes on full ones, and another that cuts them in half for her eyes. It's a step that is important in making them look more real.

I can do them without looking only because my contacts are expired and I need new ones, and I'm in glasses. I have to be thisclose to the mirror and so it was easier for me to apply them, then check.

Elaina

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear a full set for photo shoots, appearances, and special events (it's not good to wear them all the time, as the glue will cause your lashes to fall out in little clumps--not pretty:()

My trick is to gently press them into place using a heated eyelash curler, which definitely helps them stay secure all night and look more natural overall. I apply eye liner beforehand (either pencil, gel, or liquid) and then touch up the corners after the glue as dried.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Question..

jitterbugdoll said:
I wear a full set for photo shoots, appearances, and special events (it's not good to wear them all the time, as the glue will cause your lashes to fall out in little clumps--not pretty:()

My trick is to gently press them into place using a heated eyelash curler, which definitely helps them stay secure all night and look more natural overall. I apply eye liner beforehand (either pencil, gel, or liquid) and then touch up the corners after the glue as dried.

Maybe this is a silly question..., but how do you heat an eyelash curler?

Honey Doll

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Well, with the traditional metal curlers you just give it a quick blast with your blow drier (but be careful, as the curler can get super hot very quickly.)

I actually use an electric curler, as this is much easier. You can find them for around $15 or so at Ulta.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I'm fortunate like Kat. Mine are really long and enough of them to not need falsies. The downside is, because they're natural and not really thickly spaced, and they're blonde(!!!). and mascara is therefore a must, they can look like I just glued a dozen spiders to each eye! :rolleyes: So, my tip would be a good layer of mascara, dry it, then a good brush out. I never reapply because the lashes end up tying in with my eyebrows. If I want a thicker look, I add a serious line of eyeliner above the upper lashes, making sure it doesn't extend past the eye. Never was one for the doe eye look. And never eyeliner on the bottom. Tarantula Girl if I try that. By the time I've tidied the mascara from the bottom it's kind of worked its way into a line anyway! :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The individual lashes can be a pain to apply but they look very natural. The full sets I wear to shows and photoshoots, burlesque events, etc., and of course before I moved away to law school I wore them to all my burlesque shows.

Application doesn't take too long to master, and liner is a must. You can buy black tinted lash glue if you wear black liner, which makes life easier.

When I wear fake lashes I am always asked if they're my real lashes. But of course those who wear the fakes can always tell!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
When I wear fake lashes I am always asked if they're my real lashes. But of course those who wear the fakes can always tell!

This is true, though there are a wide variety of styles to choose from (some which look much more natural then others :))

Because I am a natural blonde, I stick with blonde false lashes. I find that they look much more natural than black lashes (even when coated with brown mascara, they look a lot heavier/harsher on me.)

I'm like Caledonia--my lashes are long and thick, but blonde (actually, they are dark at the base and gold at the tips), so without mascara they look nonexistent!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Does it damage the lash?

jitterbugdoll said:
Well, with the traditional metal curlers you just give it a quick blast with your blow drier (but be careful, as the curler can get super hot very quickly.)

I actually use an electric curler, as this is much easier. You can find them for around $15 or so at Ulta.

Jitterbugdoll... is there any damage to the lash from heat? After your post I looked at a few of these online. They look interesting, but I'd hate to dry out or damage the lash. Is this something you use daily or is it an occassional application? Thanks for your input.

Honey Doll

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I haven't had any trouble with mine (you do have to be careful not to pinch your eyelid, just like with a metal curler.) The base is padded and it doesn't heat up to a very high temperature. You do get a much more noticeable curl with a heated curler, which is why a lot of beauty articles suggest heating your metal curlers, and I think an automatic heated curler is easier/safer to use.

I don't use a curler every day--my lashes have a natural curl to them and I never really got into the habit of using a curler on a regular basis. However, they make a huge difference when it comes to applying false lashes :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy