Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a Peacoat

Subject 18

New in Town
Hi everybody! I'm new to these forums and I need help. Since the weather is starting to get cold, I want to get a Peacoat that's preferably WWII. I don't know my size but I'm guessing I'll fit into the smallest one there is because I'm so small. I'll be looking around Army/Navy and thrift shops for one or even any type of double breasted overcoat.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Ebay is a awesome resource for smaller sizes in pre-1971 peacoats. I just finished looking (and found) a larger size but there were PLENTY of cheap small sized kersey coats.

Traut

Familiar Face
I just bought a nice size 42 1970 for $49. I wanted a '67 but this was nice It needed two buttons which I sourced as well. There were more small sizes as Trotsky said.

Correct me if I'm wrong but since the post war coats had six rather than eight buttons and a different size collar might that not be a better fitting way to go for a small size individual? I think it's less bulk, etc.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I just bought a nice size 42 1970 for $49. I wanted a '67 but this was nice It needed two buttons which I sourced as well. There were more small sizes as Trotsky said.

Correct me if I'm wrong but since the post war coats had six rather than eight buttons and a different size collar might that not be a better fitting way to go for a small size individual? I think it's less bulk, etc.

I don't think the two different styles will have much bearing on the fit. What will make a difference is the slightly smaller sizing of the WWII coats. They might fit someone with a
slight build a little better than the post war coats.

Peacoat

Bartender
If you aren't yet filled out, most peacoats, and all issue peacoats, will be too large for you, even if you get the chest size correct. The sizing is based on standard body measurements. If you are well below the standard, because of not yet having filled out, the peacoat will swallow you.

Best that you actually try on any peacoat you are thinking of purchasing. That pretty much eliminates all of the vintage coats. But, if you find a store, such as an Army/Navy surplus store that carries issue peacoats, you can see how well (or not) the coats fit you. Even if the coats are modern issue, the vintage coats will fit about the same. The WWII coats will be just a shade smaller in sizing--maybe 1/2 of an inch.

You probably have already done so, but if not, read the sticky on Peacoat Dating at the top of this page. Not only will you learn about vintage peacoats, but there is a section on sizing at the end of the article. However, if you are not yet filled out, the information won't apply to you. Your best bet is to find a store that carries the type of peacoat you are interested in, and try them on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran