Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a supplier of an authentic hickory striped engineer cap

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Trying to find a fitted / sized engineer's cap in an xl size. Cost not important but authenticity is.

Thanks,
Dave

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Well i was thinking of a Buzz Rickson type quality repro' ........ if such a thing exists ......... NOT some cheap, tacky thin and elasticated headbanded trash.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Oh how I wish those words rolled so trippingly off my tongue! ;)

Only for a hat that i expect not to cost that much - not a flight jacket. I have enough common sense to temper my interests to a sane limit ! ;-)

Thanks for the tip Jim. But as it says 'thin, unlined and made in Bangladesh, is it quality ?

Dave

JimWagner

Practically Family
Having actually worn such things (many years ago) while working for the Norfolk Southern Railway as a car mechanic I can say that they never were especially high quality and definitely not lined. They were workwear pure and simple and worn in extremely dirty and rough environments. They were cheap, abused and then replaced as necessary. Definitely not designer items or fashion statements. Same with gloves. I went through a pair of work gloves every 2-3 weeks.

Without holding one of the hats in the link I can't really say if the canvas is as heavy as the originals, but other than that it looks like the normal one to me.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Thanks Jim. I'd assumed it would be of a quality of material and workmanship similar to Carhartt or Oshkosh :)

I won't argue with a from the horses' mouth endorsement. Shame they're not made in the USA though .....

Dave

dnjan

One Too Many
If I remember correctly, "back in the day" one of the manufacturers of those hats was Lee. Lee made a similar hat in solid blue that I referred to as "farmer's hats". Has anyone seen such a hat recently?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy