Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for an odd size jacket

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
I need some help in my search for a leather jacket. Does anyone know of a company that makes a simple leather jacket -- without elastic waist or cuffs -- that's made for relatively slim but not skinny guys? I'm beginning to think my only options are 1) to wear a jacket that doesn't fit somewhere or 2) to go custom.

I'm 6'1", have a 32-inch waist and a 44-inch chest. I wear 36-inch-sleeve shirts.

It's hard enough finding shirts that fit, but I'm striking out in leather jackets. My favorite style is something like the Aero half-belt. I currently have five leather jackets, all of which are way too blousy around my stomach, and I'm ready to get one that fits properly. I guess I could do an A-2, with the knit bottom, but that's just not my style.

So what do you think? Am I gonna have to go custom?

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

You should talk to Mark at Aero. He's VERY good at what he does. The Aero jackets aren't in-expensive, but if you can the features/sizing right, you'll keep them for life.

A couple of years ago, I had a 32 in. waist and a 43/44 in chest (it was amazing what you can do when you go to the gym every day and lay off the booze & ice cream.) The half-belt type jackets are good choice. You can pull them in at the waist so you can show off that "V" shaped back of yours. They also have a 'skimpy - 30's' cut jacket, but you have to be REALLY skinny to fit into it. Be careful with the FQHH. IMO, they tend to stick out at the bottom when you pull them in as much as you would. The mid-weight jackets don't seem to have the same problem.

Here's a link were I posted some more detailed comments about Aero jackets

http://thefedoralounge.net/showthread.php?t=6770&highlight=vickerman

Good luck.

Paul-

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Thanks!

I've been thinking about Aero a lot recently. That's more money than I've ever spent for any item of clothing, but I plan to wear my next jacket for many years. I appreciate the input about FQHH vs. medium weight. I like the idea of the heavy stuff (the main reason I wear a jacket is because I ride a motorcycle) but from what I've heard, even medium weight horsehide is more durable than just about anything else.

Recent weight loss and/or redistribution is what prompts me to want a properly fitted jacket. I've dropped from 235 pounds to 185 over the past couple of years by cutting out -- get this! -- chocolate milk shakes and a significant portion of the alcohol I used to consume, and have been working out with a heavy bag and weights for about six months. So your comments were right on target.

(I'm 33 and my fiancee is 24, so I have a huge incentive to get/keep in good condition. I don't want to get too old too fast.)

Does Aero make all jackets from scratch, to order, or would it cost a lot more than a regular jacket to get one specially made for me?

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

I hear you with regard to the pricing issue. They are expensive products, and I have to admit that I'll buy one on eBay if I can find one in my size.

They make them from scratch. You'll typically settle on a design and they'll modify it to a point. The last time I bought a jacket I dealt with Ken, one of the original owners. He didn't have a problem making modifications as long as they didn't compromise the stylistic integrity of the design.

I would recommend adding an inch or do to the length (usually $20 - $30) and adding a bi-swing back (the last time I checked it was $25). I don't like the storm cuffs so my jackets don't have them installed. Mark can give you a better idea what they will and won't do.

If you ride a bike, you should consider the FQHH. It's a bit of an acquired taste, but if you like a really masculine feeling jacket, it's the only way to go.

Paul-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart