Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Harpist in Los Angeles

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking for a professional harpist in the Los Angeles, CA area. If you know someone who owns and plays a harp, or you play one yourself, PM me with an email address and I will contact you or that someone through there. This is for a film short and will be a great opportunity.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here ya go: International Society of Folk Harpers and Craftsmen

Party Pop Harp Players Listings

Gigmasters

*There's another international group of professional harpers, but I can't find it at this exact moment.

If you want to hire or obtain a harpist for an event, you first have to figure out what is needed.

Do you need:
*A large harp for show and sound?
*A small harp that is easy to transport and easy to place on site?
*Wedding music?
*Classical music?
*Celtic music?
*Paid professional musician?
*Volunteer?
*Set up of musical equipment including mikes and speakers, etc?

Once you decide on these answers and determine your budget, than you can start asking around for a harpist. Here's some ideas:

If you want the large harp, be prepared to pay. The instrument costs $20,000+ and takes quite a while to transport, set up and re-tune

If you want a small harp, you are more likely to find a volunteer who doesn't have to be paid but will need more guidance.

If you have a budget, start calling harpists in your area, after you've determined your budget, time and music desired. If the person you called can't take the gig, they will almost certainly refer you.

If you want a volunteer, tell the person and you will probably get referred to a student of the teacher.

Couple more notes:
1) I'd start with the societies, as they can usually find you the exact right person immediately.
2) If you have something special in mind, be sure to communicate that to the harpist, including dress for the occasion/set, style of harp, set of music to be played throughout the time slot, etc. Big harps at the top of the line are gold or stained wood usually (so you can match your film set), and also traditional wooden harps are mid-size and small, but there are also small transportable harps available now which are bright neon pink and other fun colors for hospitals and children. You might be able to match the harp to your set.

Good luck!

Vintage Betty

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recommend Gigmasters too!

They have an exhaustive list of people in every area. Looks like they have two or three very professional ones in the LA Area, I just checked, it took 30 seconds.

And some of them may be willing to do it for nice footage for their site...

Besides, I get a lot of work from this site and like to push some business their way. If you do a search for swing music in California, I come up on the first page.

K

Kaosharper1

Yahoo Harplist

happyfilmluvguy said:
I'm looking for a professional harpist in the Los Angeles, CA area. If you know someone who owns and plays a harp, or you play one yourself, PM me with an email address and I will contact you or that someone through there. This is for a film short and will be a great opportunity.

Try the Harplist on Yahoo. That will be sure to get you a response. I'm a harper myself and while I'm moving to Pasadena in a couple of weeks, I'm not a professional.

Lucyinthesky

New in Town
Did you ever find a harpist?
I love the harp....and the citar! Both produce magical sounds!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner