Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Showing some Gannon love this morning.

i-Lgd35gb-M.jpg

Eric -

Introducing the Gannon Homburg.

By the numbers:
Silverbelly dress weight felt
5 1/4 inch crown at the peak (as creased)
4 1/2 inch crown at the valley of the crease (front and back)
1 3/4 inch charcoal ribbon with wind cord
2 1/4 inch curled brim
1 inch tone-on-tone binding (1/2 inch each side)
Red liner
Laced sweatband

It has been said before, Michael's felts are about as close to vintage felt as you can get. This one, I'll say, fits that description as it is luxurious, thin, smooth and soft to the touch. Being a dress weight felt makes this a very lightweight hat. I cannot pick it up by the crown as it simply collapses in on itself. This was a challenge for Michael as it required he go the extra mile to get the brim and brim curl stiff enough to hold its shape. As you can see, he did an exceptional job. A western weight felt may have been better for a "stiff" homburg, but I was looking for a light colored, lightweight, between seasons hat with a tall crown and classic homburg styling. I also wanted the wind cord and laced sweat to add to the vintage look. Thanks to @Short Balding Guy for his ideas and color recommendations.

Michael Gannon was up to my homburg challenge and I could not be happier with the results! In fact, I'm so excited about this one, I'm already back in the queue for the same homburg in a charcoal felt with a black ribbon for those more formal occasions. Enjoy.

View attachment 517495 View attachment 517496 View attachment 517497 View attachment 517498 View attachment 517499 View attachment 517500 View attachment 517501 View attachment 517502 View attachment 517503

Well worth the wait, Randy. It really turned out great. I love how you describe the crown’s felt and I can imagine just how thin and shapeable it is.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, gents. This one screams vintage all the way. If I were blindfolded, I'd swear it was one of those old Stratoliners you could just wad up and stick in your hip pocket.

Wow! The homburg is stunning. The felt does indeed look easily creased from your pics. Excellent felt! Your pic shows that the hat proportions are flattering. Well done. The binding edge is very unique. I zoomed in on the binding pic and like the way it showcases the artisain effort to attach it. I do like the appearance. The inside lacing is a nice touch. I know folks can not see it unless you take the hat off. If you are like me, it brings a smile to your face.

Randy your new homburg makes me wish for one like it. I am in agreement that Michael's skills have arrived!

Cheers to a new homburg!

Well worth the wait, Randy. It really turned out great. I love how you describe the crown’s felt and I can imagine just how thin and shapeable it is.

hambone71

Practically Family
My first Gannon has been a very positive experience. The Natural colored felt is spectacular and the commando ribbon seems like a perfect match. The 2 3/4” brim has some stiffness but the 5 1/2” open crown was pounced much finer. The crown is extremely soft and delicate. Handling the hat by the crown will change its shape to however you hold it. The brim was flanged shallow per my request. I don’t think Michael wanted to do that as it would affect the snap. I think the flange is exactly what I wanted and I’m still able to get just enough snap to give a slight downward turn. I chose the bronze liner and it is very close in color to the commando ribbon. He suggested the chocolate sweat and I think it looks great. The hat is holding a dry bash very well as long as I handle it carefully when taking it on and off. The fit is perfect!

I am very impressed! I’ve only had it for a few hours and it’s already my favorite hat. I have some Akubras including a Campdraft and I have an early 50’s 3X OR in excellent condition. This Gannon is my favorite in my small collection.

I’ll put up some headshots this weekend when I can wear it outside in daylight hours.
AFAB9C32-3CD5-4420-B9EB-336FB7728C4D.jpeg
31621EEC-F1BE-4B45-8705-A07F9834457E.jpeg
12217630-E8CB-4E8C-9B60-C08FD574FDE1.jpeg
8E42BF9A-D042-4153-A18E-9166BC4E4D8F.jpeg
8A23928F-C338-48DD-BA38-9188E11DA04F.jpeg
2BEEE0C8-776E-4B90-8C78-0992F3E90810.jpeg
B689722F-FE5C-4B1E-8C6A-3360D57AD004.jpeg
F52FA98E-C44C-4145-B75E-22E526F52D9E.jpeg
D338413F-DCA0-4223-BA40-91730A4882DD.jpeg
759B6710-82E5-4A2D-A3A4-FAFB5843BCDF.jpeg

Mighty44

One Too Many
My first Gannon has been a very positive experience. The Natural colored felt is spectacular and the commando ribbon seems like a perfect match. The 2 3/4” brim has some stiffness but the 5 1/2” open crown was pounced much finer. The crown is extremely soft and delicate. Handling the hat by the crown will change its shape to however you hold it. The brim was flanged shallow per my request. I don’t think Michael wanted to do that as it would affect the snap. I think the flange is exactly what I wanted and I’m still able to get just enough snap to give a slight downward turn. I chose the bronze liner and it is very close in color to the commando ribbon. He suggested the chocolate sweat and I think it looks great. The hat is holding a dry bash very well as long as I handle it carefully when taking it on and off. The fit is perfect!

I am very impressed! I’ve only had it for a few hours and it’s already my favorite hat. I have some Akubras including a Campdraft and I have an early 50’s 3X OR in excellent condition. This Gannon is my favorite in my small collection.

I’ll put up some headshots this weekend when I can wear it outside in daylight hours. View attachment 518390 View attachment 518391 View attachment 518392 View attachment 518393 View attachment 518394 View attachment 518395 View attachment 518396 View attachment 518397 View attachment 518398 View attachment 518399
Beautiful hat—congrats!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

I’ll put up some headshots this weekend when I can wear it outside in daylight hours. View attachment 518390 View attachment 518391 View attachment 518392 View attachment 518393 View attachment 518394 View attachment 518395 View attachment 518396 View attachment 518397 View attachment 518398 View attachment 518399

Sounds as if the hat is peeeerfect! Congrats.

The natural felt is truly a grand chameleon when it comes to attire with the hat. I do not have to think a great deal when coordinating my "kit" with this felt. All details are grand.

I look forward to your pics. Each hat owner's proportions are different and accordingly the size and characteristics of the hat vary. Your pics in this thread and in the "What Hat Are You Wearing" thread will help me understand more the inspiration and the intended fit.

Absolutely a lovely hat. Congrats sir.

Eric -

hambone71

Practically Family
Sounds as if the hat is peeeerfect! Congrats.

The natural felt is truly a grand chameleon when it comes to attire with the hat. I do not have to think a great deal when coordinating my "kit" with this felt. All details are grand.

I look forward to your pics. Each hat owner's proportions are different and accordingly the size and characteristics of the hat vary. Your pics in this thread and in the "What Hat Are You Wearing" thread will help me understand more the inspiration and the intended fit.

Absolutely a lovely hat. Congrats sir.

Eric -
I will see what I can do in terms of attire. I'm in the deep south and it looks like it may be shorts, t shirts, and flip flops until November. I wish our cool weather lasted a bit longer so I could stretch out felt season and get more wear out of my flannels and coats.

I was up your way about 3 or 4 years ago right slap in the middle of a brutal Minneapolis winter. I never saw anything like it. Never saw the pavement of a street or sidewalk, or the first patch of grass or dirt anywhere. Everything was covered in pure white snow. I was there for a month writing water mitigation estimates for burst pipes. Beautiful state, what I could see. And the people were very nice. They kept me talking so they could listen to my accent. I thought they were the ones who talked funny.

Fantastic hat! The proportions look great and the flange looks just right for this style of hat. Just be aware that Gannons are addictive and you’ll be in line for another before you know it.

Glad to see you don’t share the superstition about hats on beds. ;)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Another great Gannon, indeed. Michael's felts are really getting into vintage territory these days. My first Gannon is Granite and also has a commando ribbon. I think it is a great, all-around color complement for many felt colors.

I’ll put up some headshots this weekend when I can wear it outside in daylight hours.
Thank you, David! The wait is over and I'm officially in the Gannon brotherhood.

hambone71

Practically Family
Fantastic hat! The proportions look great and the flange looks just right for this style of hat. Just be aware that Gannons are addictive and you’ll be in line for another before you know it.

Glad to see you don’t share the superstition about hats on beds. ;)
Already considering getting back in line lol. I thought the hat on the bed thing only pertained to cowboy hats. I sure don't need any bad luck!

I have a Natural with a mid ribbon in Commando.

20180130120349.jpeg

IMG_6178.jpeg

IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_5229.jpeg

hambone71

Practically Family
Yes sir, that hat is on Michael’s IG page and I used it for color inspiration. I hope you don’t mind. I have also seen and read where you posted it earlier in this thread. I would like a highwayman with your modified ribbon width as my next Gannon. Of course, I will order different colors in felt and ribbon since I already have Natural/Commando. However, I’m one of the very few who cannot wear a brim up all the way around (or completely flat) due to my head/face shape. So, @Hurricane Jack , do you think the highwayman would look decent with a slight break in the brim to give it a very modest “Outback” shape? A slight downward drop of the brim in front and back?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Grand hat Jack. The natural hued felt does pair up well with the mid-ribbon treatment. I have yet to aquire a curled brim edge. I am in the que a couple of times and will have to play with a similar hat.

How is the leather sweat? I have that sweat on my natural felt and it soaks up perspiration too easily for my taste. I will need to send it off to be replaced by end of summer. Note: I am not complaining as I recognize that I often wear my hats during some real effort. The wear and tear is a consequence. Mr.Gannon did a grand job on the hat I mentioned.

Cheers, Eric -

So, @Hurricane Jack , do you think the highwayman would look decent with a slight break in the brim to give it a very modest “Outback” shape? A slight downward drop of the brim in front and back?
I would think you will need to consult with Michael & make that decision early due to the pencil roll. He will have to flange it differently I would think.
How is the leather sweat? I have that sweat on my natural felt and it soaks up perspiration too easily for my taste.
I don’t wear mine under the same conditions as you do, Eric. I try & keep mine wiped clean. I do notice that the unfinished natural sweat will scratch easier than a finished sweat. I have not had to condition it yet. I would probably not order a natural sweat again. I have a couple with the antique brown finish (I think that’s what Michael calls them) & like them best.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I would think you will need to consult with Michael & make that decision early due to the pencil roll. He will have to flange it differently I would think.

I don’t wear mine under the same conditions as you do, Eric. I try & keep mine wiped clean. I do notice that the unfinished natural sweat will scratch easier than a finished sweat. I have not had to condition it yet. I would probably not order a natural sweat again. I have a couple with the antique brown finish (I think that’s what Michael calls them) & like them best.

Thanks for the info Jack. Your advise is well heeded about the pencil roll. Since Michael is still waiting felt hoods I do have time. As to the sweat, I like the feel. Agreed, like you, I would not order it again.

Thanks.

hambone71

Practically Family
Another great Gannon, indeed. Michael's felts are really getting into vintage territory these days. My first Gannon is Granite and also has a commando ribbon. I think it is a great, all-around color complement for many felt colors.
Thank you Randy! I don’t have a ton of experience with true vintage felts, but this Gannon is comparable to my 70+ year old Stetson 3X OR. The Stetson brim is more pliable and soft but that could be partially due to age. The crowns are very similar in hand. I’ll be looking forward to my next!

a slight break in the brim to give it a very modest “Outback” shape? A slight downward drop of the brim in front and back?
In the US that’s generally called a packer drawl (draw?).

Adding to my above reply you would not be able to do that on your own because of the pencil roll. It will have to be flanged in. As they say, “Kids, don’t try this at home.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk