Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

hambone71

Practically Family
I have just received a couple of pics from Michael showing my 2 ribbon color choices. The darker ribbon is called commando. The lighter is called gravel. This a tough decision but I’m leaning towards commando.
8C8E4017-2892-42FA-8AB4-CBA62593E199.jpeg
F8AF8E36-D868-4F7E-8AD3-3B7A619764AD.jpeg

Mighty44

One Too Many
I have just received a couple of pics from Michael showing my 2 ribbon color choices. The darker ribbon is called commando. The lighter is called gravel. This a tough decision but I’m leaning towards commando. View attachment 516020 View attachment 516021
I agree about commando. I just got a natural hat from Michael a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t be happier with the color—it is beautiful but also is completely different from any of the vintage hats I own. And pairs well with anything!

Hope you love it!

David

hambone71

Practically Family
I agree about commando. I just got a natural hat from Michael a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t be happier with the color—it is beautiful but also is completely different from any of the vintage hats I own. And pairs well with anything!

Hope you love it!

David
Thanks for the comment, David! I’ve just asked to see some other colors of ribbons against the felt so maybe I can make a decision today.

I am going for a natural western weight beaver. I’m finally having my dream western made in the style of those old Stetson and Big Bill hats that are always too small for me (and you too). Tall straight crown, big curled brim with binding. Light colored ribbon.

A couple years ago we had Gannon replicate a 1930s Stetson No. 1. The Gannon is also in natural beaver:

IMG_9195.jpeg
IMG_9196.jpeg

I am going for a natural western weight beaver. I’m finally having my dream western made in the style of those old Stetson and Big Bill hats that are always too small for me (and you too). Tall straight crown, big curled brim with binding. Light colored ribbon.

Really looking forward to seeing this. I may have to get in the queue as well.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I wore cowboy hats most of my adult life and have moved on to other styles in the last decade. As Michael's skills continued to grow, last year I decided to get him to build a simple and lightweight western patterned after one @quikrick had made. Michael came through with flying colors. I don't wear this one as often as I should, but it is definitely a keeper. If you are interested in a western, Michael can do a lot more than you might think.

20230124_072101.jpg 20230124_072028.jpg

Sounds very interesting. I was on the fence about having a western hat made but chose one that would much more often where I live. But a good western is still on my bucket list.

hambone71

Practically Family
I wore cowboy hats most of my adult life and have moved on to other styles in the last decade. As Michael's skills continued to grow, last year I decided to get him to build a simple and lightweight western patterned after one @quikrick had made. Michael came through with flying colors. I don't wear this one as often as I should, but it is definitely a keeper. If you are interested in a western, Michael can do a lot more than you might think.

View attachment 516159 View attachment 516160
That certainly is a sharp hat! In fact, I remember seeing that hat earlier in this thread and I admired it then. I'll definitely be getting with Michael on a western down the road. Thanks for sharing that beauty again!

tamz0r

Familiar Face
Happy Mother’s Day! I actually got this hat from Michael several months ago but never got around to sharing it with the forum. a wide brim natural colored number.

IMG_0721.jpeg

IMG_0814.jpeg

IMG_1071.jpeg

*edit: just added another pic. specs if anyone is interested: dress weight natural, 1.5“ field brown ribbon, 3” brim, 5 7/8” open crown

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Introducing the Gannon Homburg.

By the numbers:
Silverbelly dress weight felt
5 1/4 inch crown at the peak (as creased)
4 1/2 inch crown at the valley of the crease (front and back)
1 3/4 inch charcoal ribbon with wind cord
2 1/4 inch curled brim
1 inch tone-on-tone binding (1/2 inch each side)
Red liner
Laced sweatband

It has been said before, Michael's felts are about as close to vintage felt as you can get. This one, I'll say, fits that description as it is luxurious, thin, smooth and soft to the touch. Being a dress weight felt makes this a very lightweight hat. I cannot pick it up by the crown as it simply collapses in on itself. This was a challenge for Michael as it required he go the extra mile to get the brim and brim curl stiff enough to hold its shape. As you can see, he did an exceptional job. A western weight felt may have been better for a "stiff" homburg, but I was looking for a light colored, lightweight, between seasons hat with a tall crown and classic homburg styling. I also wanted the wind cord and laced sweat to add to the vintage look. Thanks to @Short Balding Guy for his ideas and color recommendations.

Michael Gannon was up to my homburg challenge and I could not be happier with the results! In fact, I'm so excited about this one, I'm already back in the queue for the same homburg in a charcoal felt with a black ribbon for those more formal occasions. Enjoy.

20230514_163758.jpg 20230514_163819.jpg 20230514_163843.jpg 20230514_163910.jpg 20230514_163928.jpg 20230514_164005.jpg 20230514_164137.jpg 20230514_164040.jpg 20230514_164120.jpg

hambone71

Practically Family

By the numbers:
2 1/4 inch curled brim
Red liner
Laced sweatband

It has been said before, Michael's felts are about as close to vintage felt as you can get. This one, I'll say, fits that description as it is luxurious, thin, smooth and soft to the touch. Being a dress weight felt makes this a very lightweight hat. I cannot pick it up by the crown as it simply collapses in on itself. This was a challenge for Michael as it required he go the extra mile to get the brim and brim curl stiff enough to hold its shape. As you can see, he did an exceptional job. A western weight felt may have been better for a "stiff" homburg, but I was looking for a light colored, lightweight, between seasons hat with a tall crown and classic homburg styling. I also wanted the wind cord and laced sweat to add to the vintage look. Thanks to @Short Balding Guy for his ideas and color recommendations.

Michael Gannon was up to my homburg challenge and I could not be happier with the results! In fact, I'm so excited about this one, I'm already back in the queue for the same homburg in a charcoal felt with a black ribbon for those more formal occasions. Enjoy.

View attachment 517495 View attachment 517496 View attachment 517497 View attachment 517498 View attachment 517499 View attachment 517500 View attachment 517501 View attachment 517502 View attachment 517503
Wow! Beautiful hat! I will receive my Gannon later this week and my biggest challenge will be avoiding the queue. The queue can be a dangerous place!

Mighty44

One Too Many

By the numbers:
2 1/4 inch curled brim
Red liner
Laced sweatband

View attachment 517495 View attachment 517496 View attachment 517497 View attachment 517498 View attachment 517499 View attachment 517500 View attachment 517501 View attachment 517502 View attachment 517503
Beautiful details, Randy.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

By the numbers:
2 1/4 inch curled brim
Red liner
Laced sweatband

Wow! The homburg is stunning. The felt does indeed look easily creased from your pics. Excellent felt! Your pic shows that the hat proportions are flattering. Well done. The binding edge is very unique. I zoomed in on the binding pic and like the way it showcases the artisain effort to attach it. I do like the appearance. The inside lacing is a nice touch. I know folks can not see it unless you take the hat off. If you are like me, it brings a smile to your face.

Randy your new homburg makes me wish for one like it. I am in agreement that Michael's skills have arrived!

Cheers to a new homburg!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner