Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

hambone71

Practically Family
As
In the US that’s generally called a packer drawl (draw?).

Adding to my above reply you would not be able to do that on your own because of the pencil roll. It will have to be flanged in. As they say, “Kids, don’t try this at home.”
As Eric said, advice well-heeded! If I go that route, I’ll definitely consult with Michael. I wish flat and up brims looked good on me but they just don’t. I don’t have enough head height from my forehead to the top of my skull to pull that look off. That packer drawl would improve the look on me tenfold!

Thank you for that brim terminology lesson. I’ve heard that term before but I guess my past Akubra obsession still had me using the term Outback. From now on it’s packer drawl.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
My first Gannon has been a very positive experience. The Natural colored felt is spectacular and the commando ribbon seems like a perfect match. The 2 3/4” brim has some stiffness but the 5 1/2” open crown was pounced much finer. The crown is extremely soft and delicate. Handling the hat by the crown will change its shape to however you hold it. The brim was flanged shallow per my request. I don’t think Michael wanted to do that as it would affect the snap. I think the flange is exactly what I wanted and I’m still able to get just enough snap to give a slight downward turn. I chose the bronze liner and it is very close in color to the commando ribbon. He suggested the chocolate sweat and I think it looks great. The hat is holding a dry bash very well as long as I handle it carefully when taking it on and off. The fit is perfect!

I am very impressed! I’ve only had it for a few hours and it’s already my favorite hat. I have some Akubras including a Campdraft and I have an early 50’s 3X OR in excellent condition. This Gannon is my favorite in my small collection.

I’ll put up some headshots this weekend when I can wear it outside in daylight hours. View attachment 518390 View attachment 518391 View attachment 518392 View attachment 518393 View attachment 518394 View attachment 518395 View attachment 518396 View attachment 518397 View attachment 518398 View attachment 518399

That is one great-looking hat, congratulations! Natural is probably my favorite all-around color, and your other color choices really go well with the felt. I hope you get many years of happy use out of it!

hambone71

Practically Family
That is one great-looking hat, congratulations! Natural is probably my favorite all-around color, and your other color choices really go well with the felt. I hope you get many years of happy use out of it!
Thank you, good sir! I'm happy to be in this brotherhood at last. I've seen some fine, fine examples here in this thread. Now that I have mine, I'll enjoy seeing other member's new Gannons as they arrive.

hambone71

Practically Family
Well…..I’m back in queue. This time for a Highwayman. Michael said he can make it with the packer draw brim, which will give it a slight drop in the front and back. I’m gonna study on that brim shape a bit to make sure that’s what I want.

Michael is limited on colors in western weight beaver at the moment and they’ve been difficult to come by. I want Sahara and it’s out of stock and he’s not sure when he can get it in western weight. He added that he can make that hat in dress weight as long as the hat bodies are big enough to accommodate the 3” brim. He said sometimes they aren’t. He has dress weight in Sahara on order and will determine if the bodies are big enough when they arrive. If not, then I may go with bone or pecan in the western weight. He has those in stock.

I’m still a couple months away so I may change my mind completely by then and go with an Eric-inspired Wanderer. I win either way!

I swear I’m quitting after this one last time!

Last edited:
Well…..I’m back in queue. This time for a Highwayman. Michael said he can make it with the packer draw brim, which will give it a slight drop in the front and back. I’m gonna study on that brim shape a bit to make sure that’s what I want.

Michael is limited on colors in western weight beaver at the moment and they’ve been difficult to come by. I want Sahara and it’s out of stock and he’s not sure when he can get it in western weight. He added that he can make that hat in dress weight as long as the hat bodies are big enough to accommodate the 3” brim. He said sometimes they aren’t. He has dress weight in Sahara on order and will determine if the bodies are big enough when they arrive. If not, then I may go with bone or pecan in the western weight. He has those in stock.

I’m still a couple months away so I may change my mind completely by then and go with an Eric-inspired Wanderer. I win either way!

I swear I’m quitting after this one last time!
If it works out you will be happier with dress weight than western weight. Especially true if you chose to go with a Wanderer. Good luck with your choices.

hambone71

Practically Family
If it works out you will be happier with dress weight than western weight. Especially true if you chose to go with a Wanderer. Good luck with your choices.
Yes, thank you! I told him my preference would be dress weight in the highwayman if possible. He exp!aimed that the 3" brim would be the max with dress weight and then it depends on whether or not the hat body is large enough. He also said that lately, all his dress weight beaver have been large enough so he doesn't anticipate that being an issue. I think I'll take your advice and go with dress weight regardless.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Yes, thank you! I told him my preference would be dress weight in the highwayman if possible. He exp!aimed that the 3" brim would be the max with dress weight and then it depends on whether or not the hat body is large enough. He also said that lately, all his dress weight beaver have been large enough so he doesn't anticipate that being an issue. I think I'll take your advice and go with dress weight regardless.
My highwayman is dress weight with a 2 3/4 inch brim. It's a great hat, but I'm sure you'll be thrilled with whatever you and Michael put together.

hambone71

Practically Family
My highwayman is dress weight with a 2 3/4 inch brim. It's a great hat, but I'm sure you'll be thrilled with whatever you and Michael put together.
Do you have a pic handy that shows off that 2 3/4 brim? I’ve seen yours before and thought it looked great! Steel or granite maybe?

Mighty44

One Too Many
I really love my new Gannon—the proportions, colors, fit—all just perfect. The only thing was that the felt on the crown was almost too thin—it was a little floppy and didn’t quite hold the bash I wanted. I ended up hitting it with Bickmore Hat Stiffener—basically shellac in a spray pump—and more steam and it came out perfectly. Exactly the shape I wanted and it has a little more substance to it when I grab the hat to stick it on my head or adjust it. My new favorite product (after Oatly oat milk). This is the third hat I’ve made more to my liking by stiffening up the felt a bit—magic!

Enjoy the long weekend, all!

David
IMG_9769.jpeg
IMG_9772.jpeg
IMG_9767.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9769.jpeg
    IMG_9769.jpeg
    631.9 KB · Views: 23

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
I really love my new Gannon—the proportions, colors, fit—all just perfect. The only thing was that the felt on the crown was almost too thin—it was a little floppy and didn’t quite hold the bash I wanted. I ended up hitting it with Bickmore Hat Stiffener—basically shellac in a spray pump—and more steam and it came out perfectly. Exactly the shape I wanted and it has a little more substance to it when I grab the hat to stick it on my head or adjust it. My new favorite product (after Oatly oat milk). This is the third hat I’ve made more to my liking by stiffening up the felt a bit—magic!

David
View attachment 520596 View attachment 520593 View attachment 520594
My Gannon Big Four was the same (felt was light and springy and wouldn't hold a crease well). However, my unwitting solution was to get caught in a 5 minute downpour that thoroughly soaked the hat. I was able to tune up the crease and side dents and the crown held everything in place and even seems a little more firm - as if it activated the stiffener that was in the felt.

It's all good.

StoryPNW

Practically Family

David
David, I love the new hat, especially the vents! What are the dimensions on this one?

David

Great looking hat. Those proportions really work well for you.

hambone71

Practically Family

David
That’s a beauty! Same with the crown on mine. I love the feel but also had some trouble keeping my pinches reasonably symmetrical. I hit the crown with a little distilled water and worked the pinches for about 30 seconds and mission accomplished. They’re still somewhat asymmetrical but that’s what I wanted for a hand creased look. Perfectly imperfect.

hambone71

Practically Family
Here are a couple from a few weeks ago. You are correct it is a granite beaver felt.

View attachment 520598 View attachment 520599
IIRC you sent that one back for an adjustment? Did you crease it yourself or did Michael? And is that a frayed ribbon as well? I believe you and HJ both have the same, or very similar crease. I’m gonna have Michael to shape mine the same; center crease/dent with front pinches. I also believe that 2 3/4 brim will be plenty for me.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
IIRC you sent that one back for an adjustment? Did you crease it yourself or did Michael? And is that a frayed ribbon as well? I believe you and HJ both have the same, or very similar crease. I’m gonna have Michael to shape mine the same; center crease/dent with front pinches. I also believe that 2 3/4 brim will be plenty for me.
You are correct, I sent it back to Michael to have him reblock it, it came out just a little too small, and bash it for me. He was awesome to work with! It does have the frayed ribbon, I really like that detail. Our discussion has me wearing it this afternoon, it's got a few rain drops from the passing storm.

20230526_161200.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot