Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Incoming:

B4275B65-C69E-4F6C-83EC-F04F88B9D1DC.jpeg

Love the new liner logo.

Last edited:
Michael just sent me photos of a homburg he completed using his new curling shackle. It’s not exactly the curl I’d have wanted, but it was what his customer asked for.

34FDA819-3A14-412A-8D2E-356E10CAE212.jpeg
CA8D663E-E055-437E-95A2-FB1C5DF4C438.jpeg

Here is what Michael had to say:

“The curling shackle I have now will curl the brim all the way over so I think with practice I should be able to do the more significant curls you see on some of the older homburgs and derbys. For this hat the customer sent a photo of the type of brim he wanted so I was trying to duplicate that.”

My first curled brim Gannon will be a western, but I can see a lords hat in my future too.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
- - - GoodGodIGotaGreatGannon - - -

I don't know if Michael has a model name for this one but I call it the Westerner. Inspired by some of the old west patterns, this 5 1/2 X 3 open crown fits the bill. Silverbelly with a 1-inch Piccadilly green ribbon and a "new color for Michael" burgundy liner. The green is right in the middle; not too dark (hunter green) and not too light. I picked up a tan 3X with a green ribbon from Brent @deadlyhandsome last year and it made me start looking at green ribbons. I like the choice here and I may have to use green ribbon more in the future.

I've been getting a Gannon about every other year and I must say that Michael's skills continue to improve. This one is a light hat, given its size, and the felt is pounced to a very smooth finish. It also has a slight curl on the side edges. I'll probably give the sides a bit more lift in a few weeks. Unfortunately, it is already hot here in Texas, so I won't have many chances to wear it for a few months.

I broke my own record with this Westerner as well. My first time in public, I had a compliment on the hat in less than 5 minutes and two complements in less than 10 minutes. Thanks for another great hat, Michael. (Now, if I could only talk Michael into making me a bowler, life would be complete!!!)

GW 1.jpg GW2.jpg GW5.jpg GW6.jpg GW7.jpg GW8.jpg GW10.jpg GW11.jpg

I don't know if Michael has a model name for this one but I call it the Westerner. Inspired by some of the old west patterns, this 5 1/2 X 3 open crown fits the bill. Silverbelly with a 1-inch Piccadilly green ribbon and a "new color for Michael" burgundy liner. The green is right in the middle; not too dark (hunter green) and not too light. I picked up a tan 3X with a green ribbon from Brent @deadlyhandsome last year and it made me start looking at green ribbons. I like the choice here and I may have to use green ribbon more in the future.

I've been getting a Gannon about every other year and I must say that Michael's skills continue to improve. This one is a light hat, given its size, and the felt is pounced to a very smooth finish. It also has a slight curl on the side edges. I'll probably give the sides a bit more lift in a few weeks. Unfortunately, it is already hot here in Texas, so I won't have many chances to wear it for a few months.

I broke my own record with this Westerner as well. My first time in public, I had a compliment on the hat in less than 5 minutes and two complements in less than 10 minutes. Thanks for another great hat, Michael. (Now, if I could only talk Michael into making me a bowler, life would be complete!!!)

View attachment 426643 View attachment 426644 View attachment 426645 View attachment 426646 View attachment 426647 View attachment 426648 View attachment 426649 View attachment 426650
That's a real beauty, Randy and congrats on the new record:)

Woodtroll

One Too Many

View attachment 426643 View attachment 426644 View attachment 426645 View attachment 426646 View attachment 426647 View attachment 426648 View attachment 426649 View attachment 426650

Very nice hat, Randy, very nice. Congratulations!

How do you resist the temptation to stick your thumbs into that crown and shape it? Maybe your experiences with bowlers helps, but getting an open crown photo is about as long as I can wait.

Absolutely beautiful hat, Randy!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Outstanding!

The ribbon really works well with the silverbelly. Dynamite details on your new hat. A record to boot!

Wear the hat with pride sir.

Best, Eric -

Latest Gannon arrived today. Order was placed December 26th.

100% nutria fur felt in the color plum. 160g dress weight.
3” bound edge brim.
2” wide ribbon with frayed edge bow.
6 1/2” open crown. That’s not a typo. I didn’t ask for it to be that high, but it’s an honest 6 1/2” or maybe even slightly more! Not sure how this happened, but I suspect he used a past measurement given for a western he made me. I’m going to see what I can do with it.

The felt is my least impressive of my Sunrise nutria felts. Michael had to add stiffeners to this felt so that might be what I’m seeing and feeling. The hand isn’t bad, but it isn’t as nice as I’m used to. The color saturation also doesn’t seem to be as good as others Michael has made me. It’s still a nice hat, but it isn’t the heart racing hat I had hoped for. I think some brushing and steaming might mitigate the stiffener issues. The build quality is typical Gannon: FANTASTIC! Photos shown with a dry crease, but as is the case with all of my dress weight nutria felts from Sunrise, it will require steam to fully shape and to get the shape to hold. These nutria felts have more spring back than Winchester’s beaver felt.

Edit: Just to clarify, I only intended to express my mild disappointment with the Sunrise Hat Supply felt and NOT Gannon’s work. Michael Gannon did a great job on the hat, but this particular nutria hat body came with limitations and Michael couldn’t completely overcome them all…nor, I believe, could any hatter. I do like the hat, but it’s not perfect because the hat body wasn’t perfect. Just wanted to clarify.

37CA69B4-BF40-4DB7-9D1B-64B8116C78F4.jpeg
32FAD09A-3160-4B9E-BCBF-F2C382386062.jpeg
1737D53C-87EC-40C8-8383-02E3DDE35EC4.jpeg
1434E90C-5AB1-4B6B-936F-E2020CC33762.jpeg
B983248F-8639-4FF6-8484-B534BEDD1BB9.jpeg
40459D63-5872-46BF-B999-85329BA155F4.jpeg
743E23E5-30E5-48D4-B023-B5E9B5FF1DE3.jpeg
26644BD9-F4F6-46C3-B033-FC4865174F14.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

3” bound edge brim.
6 1/2” open crown. That’s not a typo. I didn’t ask for it to be that high, but it’s an honest 6 1/2” or maybe even slightly more! Not sure how this happened, but I suspect he used a past measurement given for a western he made me. I’m going to see what I can do with it.

The felt is my least impressive of my Sunrise nutria felts. Michael had to add stiffeners to this felt so that might be what I’m seeing and feeling. The hand isn’t bad, but it isn’t as nice as I’m used to. The color saturation also doesn’t seem to be as good as others Michael has made me. It’s still a nice hat, but it isn’t the heart racing hat I had hoped for. I think some brushing and steaming might mitigate the stiffener issues. The build quality is typical Gannon: FANTASTIC! Photos shown with a dry crease, but as is the case with all of my dress weight nutria felts from Sunrise, it will require steam to fully shape and to get the shape to hold. These nutria felts have more spring back than Winchester’s beaver felt.

View attachment 427110 View attachment 427111 View attachment 427112 View attachment 427113 View attachment 427114 View attachment 427115 View attachment 427116 View attachment 427117
I would love to see this beside an old dye back cherry for comparison.

3” bound edge brim.

View attachment 427110 View attachment 427111 View attachment 427112 View attachment 427113 View attachment 427114 View attachment 427115 View attachment 427116 View attachment 427117
So are you actually saying you have a hat with TOO much crown?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk