Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnoli Clothiers- New Zealand

StylinLA

Familiar Face
Has anyone in here ever had experience with Magnoli Clothiers out of New Zealand?

They've got a nice web site and seem to create new "vintage" style suits and other clothes for fairly reasonable prices.

Just wondering if anyone has tried them; how was the fit and the quality?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Hello Stylin, Magnoli is a member here and often contributes posts, including ones on his clothing. Other FL members have written about their purchases.

A quick search should bring up some useful results.

StylinLA

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
If you look UP, top of the page, you'll that he even has a banner ad here.
If you don't see it, refresh the page and you surely will.
B
T

D'oh!

Gotta stop drinking in the morning....

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I am what you would call a loyal customer of Magnoli's. He's one of those rare dying-breed vendors with unswerving personal customer service AND high quality goods.

The only set-backs I've had with Magnoli was the one suit I ordered. But, in his defense, making a custom suit without ever seeing the wearer in person for a fitting is not easy. Especially if you have a mutant body-type like mine. Still, he worked tirelessly to make me happy. So, I would say if you have a fairly standard body-type, things will likely go better for you.

I also have two pairs of his trousers (three if you count the suit) that are fantastic, two shirts that make me want to fill my closet with nothing but Magnoli shirts, and two leather jackets that I wear as often as I can manage.

As long as you get your measurements right, and are clear on what you want, the fit will be great. There are occasional mistakes, but Magnoli always makes things right. :cool:

rumblefish

One Too Many
I have two shirts from Magnoli. I'm extremely impressed with them and I'll definitely be doing business with him again. I'll get around to photographing them when the weather gets a little warmer and I'll post them.

Bugsy

One Too Many
I bought a suit from Magnoli's last year. It was the first time I had ever bought anything like that over the internet without being able to actuallly see the fabric and be professionally measured. The suit arrived and it was perfect.

donCarlos

Practically Family
The garments may be slightly overpriced, but they are custom made. And when I compared what I´d pay for a customized suit here and what I´d pay to Indy, Indy was a clear winner. Not to mention that the suits are actually cheaper than average quality suits I can buy around here.

LordBest

Practically Family
I have not dealt with them as yet, but I have to say that their traditional flannel trousers (for which I long) are some of the most splendid I have seen that were not vintage.

rumblefish

One Too Many
donCarlos said:
The garments may be slightly overpriced, but they are custom made.

Yes, and I've never had shirts fit better. All from measurements I sent by filling out the online form on his website. I ask for fitted, came out perfect! Well worth it.:)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
BinkieBaumont said:
I like the Website for browsing I just think its fearfully overpriced when you compare the new zealand dollar to the usa dollar and they want to be paid in US dollars

oh Cripes hope they dont own fedora lounge

Also, don't forget that those prices include shipping (many people do). Being mainly an internet shopper, I can tell you that his prices are not that bad once you factor in shipping and custom. Also, I think only his "in stock" items are at the NZ location. His garments are made in various locations. In the end, I don't care about the currency or location, I care about what comes out of my pocket. In my experience, stuff like Magnoli's, even made in the States, runs the same or more once you add shipping. [huh] Heck, I've seen off-the-rack stuff in that price range! :eek:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I hope to order some Hollywood trousers from him soon.

Did you guys do your own measurements, or did you have a tailor take them for you?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
skyvue said:
I hope to order some Hollywood trousers from him soon.

Did you guys do your own measurements, or did you have a tailor take them for you?

I know I'd prefer to have someone who knows what they're doing take my measurements - and that isn't me! The one thing I've wondered, is your local tailor going to be offended to take your measurements so you can take your business elsewhere? I'm sure he expects to get paid for his time regardless, but still.

Not to answer my own question, but perhaps he/she won't care so much if he/she is unwilling to make vintage-style garments to begin with. I've often suspected a lot of local "tailors" are really nothing more than alterations places.

-Dave

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
David Conwill said:
The one thing I've wondered, is your local tailor going to be offended to take your measurements so you can take your business elsewhere? I'm sure he expects to get paid for his time regardless, but still.

I've wondered the same thing.

I also wonder if Indy will accept a pair of trousers for copying. I have a pair I'd love to have reproduced.

I further wonder why I'm doing all this wondering in this thread rather than emailing my questions to him directly.

Feraud

Bartender
If you fellas who have purchased custom clothes would post a few pics. I am sure we would all love to see them.
Pics being worth a thousand words and all that..

Creeping Past

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
I've often suspected a lot of local "tailors" are really nothing more than alterations places.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. There's a shop near me that calls itself a tailor's shop and is done out like a tailors. So I phoned and asked how much they charge to make a jacket, but was told they only did alterations.

I guess there's more money per job in alterations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner