Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a suit

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
Raise your hand if you've done it. I found some amazing thick off-white wool at the fabric store last weekend that I knew would make a killer suit so I bought what was left. Just enough to squeeze a suit out, I hope.

I've never made a suit before. I know it will be a challenge. I'm planning to develop my pattern from well fitting jackets I already own but what I really need is information on all the innards. Canvas, horse hair, tape, all these things I've read about.

If I could find a pattern for an old style suit that described all the ingredients and steps I would buy it. I'm looking for any suggestions on that or on the process itself.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I'll raise my hand, though mine still needs sleeve lining and buttons. But I will say this, I've been sewing for years and making the jacket is without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever done. Even the women's suit jackets I've made for my wife were easy in comparison. There is nothing in sewing more difficult than a man's jacket.

The Cutter and Tailor that Tomasso linked to is a goldmine (you may have to register to see all the content, but it's worth it!). They have two apprentice forums, with a strict rule that beginners don't start with coats. In fact, they don't allow members to post about coats until they've demonstrated ability with trousers, etc.

I don't say this to put you off, but just so you know the difficulty. Vogue has a decent jacket pattern, though the lines are more modern. There's a vintage McCalls pattern for a blazer that could easily be converted to a suit jacket (I've got the fabric waiting in the wings for that one when the suit's done). I don't recall the number right now but I'll check this evening. If you don't have a tailor's ham, that should be the first thing you buy or make. Constant pressing, stretching, and shrinking is required in suit making.

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
Thanks for the input, guys, I'll definitely delve into that website. Tomasso, I have just less than four yards but it's a 68" bolt so I think I can get a size 42 reg out of it. Might have to stick to single breasted.

Nick D, I definitely register your message. I'm prepared for frustration and difficulty. I suppose it would be a good idea to make the pants first, for practice and confidence. Incidentally, I ran across a picture of you in the maroon gabardine 40's jacket you made from a pattern while I was searching for suit patterns and it looks great! You clearly have experience and ability.

I think I might photo document this process for the benefit of others. That should be entertaining...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy