Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making my first leather jacket- the shell is done

fishmeok

Vendor
This is based off that horsehide civilian A-2 I bought. It's coming along well, but I messed up one of the sleeves a bit, put the inner seam too far forward. I look at it and see all the faults, but I have to remind myself it's the first time I've ever tried to make a jacket....
Cheers
Mark

DSCN4060.jpg

DSCN4065.jpg

DSCN4066.jpg

DSCN4071.jpg

DSCN4072.jpg

DSCN4076.jpg

DSCN4077.jpg

DSCN4078.jpg

DSCN4080.jpg

DSCN4082.jpg

Well, of course you see the "faults," but believe me, the overwhelming majority of people never would. (The less-than-perfect workmanship on my homemade hats jumps out at me. But I had to point out to a friend the flaws on a hat I made for him. He good-naturedly rolled his eyes and said about the same thing I said to you.)

I applaud your work, man. You tell us this is your first attempt at a leather jacket, but it appears that you bring some experience to the effort. Been sewing long? What kind of machine(s) you got?

Rachael

A-List Customer
color me impressed. I made one go at sewing a leather jacket then swore to never do so again for love nor money. If you have the inclination, I may be able to point people in your direction for future endeavors.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Wow! Now that's coming along quite nicely. I remember the test piece you showed Deadpandiva and I and well - this is pretty amazing. Congrats and keep at it. Cannot wait to see the finished project.

fishmeok

Vendor
Thanks all- I've made a lot of practice pieces and had a lot of detours but it's finally coming more or less together. I'm using an old Singer 78-3 industrial, it works pretty well, but still has trouble holding a consistant stitch length, something I haven't quite figured out yet. There is no way this could be done with a non-industrial machine, they just don't have the power and strength needed.

When are we going to have another MPLS get together?
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
tonyb said:
Been sewing long? What kind of machine(s) you got?

This is my ax- a mid '30's Singer 78-3 industrial. I've been practicing on it for a few months now, been working on this whole jacket making thing for about a year now, off and on.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN3196.jpg

Now that's a cool rig.

So, you've been just kinda noodling around, learning how to drive that thing? Taking jackets apart to see how they were put together? Reading up on what you can, where you can?

fishmeok

Vendor
tonyb said:
Now that's a cool rig.

So, you've been just kinda noodling around, learning how to drive that thing? Taking jackets apart to see how they were put together? Reading up on what you can, where you can?

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Had some incredibly helpful advice from John Chapman, and a lot of practicing the smaller bits and pieces. Took a while before I finally decided to do as I was advised and buy some sort of industrial machine, but this is just not something you can do without one.

Cheers
Mark

You're a man after my heart, fishmeok. I doubt I'll ever make a leather jacket, but you've got me believing I could.

Me, I'm doing hats. It seems that my learning process has been similar to yours. In the two and half years or so I've been hanging around this joint, I've witnessed a progression in skill and daring -- mostly with the hat fanciers going from the easy stuff, such as dunking our hats (whole) in naphtha and turning cowboy-ish Open Road bashes into something more citified, to replacing sweatbands and reblocking and flanging, to making all-new hats.

We've always had our pros here -- the hatters and tailors and such. But it's great to see a person learn this stuff just because he wants to. Where it eventually takes him doesn't really matter right now. For whatever becomes of it -- should he remain a hobbyist or should he someday make some bucks with it -- he still has to learn the craft. It can be quite satisfying to make something as tangible as, say, a hat or a leather jacket, especially for those of us in occupations that afford little opportunity to point to precisely what of indisputably lasting value we have done this day.

As to your machine ... Was it expensive? Was it set up the way it is now, mounted on that table? Is it one of those oil-bath jobs? It looks like you've got a large supply of some heavy-duty thread there as well. And a small vise. What's that for?

fishmeok

Vendor
I bought it for a song on Craigslist- but it was a lucky find. The machine was originally made for a treadle table, it was built to sew auto tops and the like. It uses a walking needle system which works well, but if I keep on doing this I will upgrade to something with reverse someday. The machine came set up with the table, clutch motor, thread stand and light. I'm using tex 70 upholstery thread I can pick up for cheap at the local fabric warehouse. It took me a little while and some effort to get the machine running well, but it's going strong now. No oil bath, but I don't use it enough to really warrant that anyway.

I've repaired and rebuilt a few military hats, and my favorite lid is my Federation, I'm all about doing things yourself...

Cheers
Mark

Walking needle with a chording foot:
DSCN3201.jpg

DSCN3205.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
So far so good!

I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit and can-do attitude. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap As they say, if ya want something done right,....:)
So you will be taking orders for these soon??? Pencil me in for about a size 44, a tad on the long side..:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo