Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mascara on upper lashes only?

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Smuterella and Kiri that is what i have been told by my grandmother, and a number of other women in my family that were alive then. But much of my family is Cuban so who knows. I think it all boils down to what you prefer an what looks best on you

Lillemor

One Too Many
I only do top. It's a matter of personal preference as others have stated and what suits you. There's no such thing as completely waterproof or smudgeproof mascara when it comes in contact with my sparse lashes and oily skin so in my experience bottom mascara always smudges into my under eye area.

lareine

A-List Customer
I only ever did top lashes until the tubing mascaras were easily obtained (I use a l'Oreal one). Now I do both top and bottom, and they don't budge until I wash my face in the shower.

Octavia

Familiar Face
I do top only, if that. When I used to wear mascara a lot, I found the bottoms looked too spider-y with mascara, as others have mentioned, and my eyes look much more open and bright with just the top done. I used to do the white eyeliner trick on the bottom too. I don't wear eye makeup very often anymore as the skin around my eyes is sooo sensitive. But my eyelashes are long, dark, and thick enough that I think I can get away with just curling them. I curl them in two places. I curl once at the very bottom - holding it for a moment of course - then curl another time towards the tips which gives an extra curve.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Definitely a top lashes only gal, and usually only for evening as they are dark, thick and long naturally. If I do both, it's hello Sally Bowles. Not me.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I have stubby, straight, light brown eyelashes. Despite my best efforts, they refuse to curl much. All attempts to wear mascara on the bottom lashes result in raccoon eyes.

Some of this is probably because I have slightly oily skin. The fact that I used to cry at the drop of a hat probably didn't help, either...apparently my tears have some kind of super-concentrated make up removing power. I have cried off waterproof mascara and eyeliner, in even the briefest of sob sessions. My great-grandmother used to call me the Water Works. Even though I'm much less likely to cry now, I'm still reluctant to wear bottom-lash mascara.

Emer

One of the Regulars
I use a blend of two mascaras. One is for defining, and one is for thickening. If I feel like my eyes need a pop, I'll use it on my lowers, but I agree with what a lot of girls are saying here. Sometimes it ends up smudging or making the eyes look darker.

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Hi ladies! Just wanted to throw my two cents in...

Most of the time I only do my upper eyelashes (unless I'm in a 30's mood, then the lower ones get a coating, too). I find that it works best for me - especially during allergy season! lol I've got what my Dad calls "Camel lashes" (cause they are fairly long, but not thick like a camel - goodness, could you imagine??), and being a blonde, they're more brown than black naturally.

My preferred brand? Covergirl Lash Blast (in the orange tube). Works great for me (I use two coats), and the non-waterproof actually works pretty good with my oily skin which surprises me. And I've tried a lot of brands...

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Mascara /liner on just the upper lashline makes me look ill and puffy-eyed, even though my lashes are naturally long and fairly dark. So after curling the lashes (a must, not an option for me), when I go for this look I try to balance it in some way:

Usually I add tiny pinpoint dots of freshly sharpened pencil liner close to the bottom lashline, in the exact color of my lashes. (The goal being to lightly go between the lashes--not a solid line, and not at all smudgy.)

Or for daytime, sometimes I'll use a light coat of thoroughly combed out mascara on the bottom.

Additionally, to draw more attention up toward the eyes when wearing bright or red lipstick, on my browbone I use a well-blended dot of highlighter matching my skin color--usually Benefit High Beam or Judith August Everything Pencil, but a slightly pearly eyeshadow in your skin color also works well. The highlighter products aren't vintage, but women in the '30's used Vaseline to achieve a similar effect so I can live with it.

But a smudgy, smokey eye really works much better for me.

Tulip

New in Town
How interesting - I look ill if I wear mascara on my lower lashes, they are too long and just look like dark circles from most any distance! I overcompensate by loading up the uppers to near-breaking point.

kitfrances

New in Town
I'm a top and bottom girl. I have pale skin and dark hair, but very light brown eyelashes, so I also look fairly sick without mascara all around! Plus, I have quite large protruding eyes so I look a little strange if I don't play them up, if that makes sense!

I'm with you Laura Chase, I think the cute wide-eyed look is so sweet.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I do top lashes only. My lashes are dark and if I use mascara on the bottom lashes, I look like I have spider legs underneath my eyes. I can't trust anything on my bottom lashes during the current allergy season that is north Texas. lol

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Just wondering if anyone else has the problem where the mascara always without fail ends up smudging high near the brow bone just after application. I haven't managed to find a solution for this so end up putting my eyeshadow on last so I don't have to clean up and start over. [huh]

Miss sofia

One Too Many
yeah i do, as i curl my lashes and then apply mascara and short of not blinking till it dries, (which is no mean feat - i've tried), i always end up with some on my eyelids or further up. I just keep a cotton bud handy with some make up remover on it for clean-ups.

annet

One of the Regulars
i stopped doing the bottom lashes because it just looked like too much... i never wear any make up apart from mascara and lipstick, and these days my mouth gets all the attention! i'm also a complete idiot when it comes to applying stuff to my eyes, so any row of lashes that can do without mascara is good for me. (really, a few days ago i was applying and somehow managed to TOSS the brush into the air, making it fall down onto me again, leaving about five giant black smudges on my arms and chest! thank god i wasn't wearing a shirt yet since it's waterproof and those stains are a bitch to get out)

Berlin

Practically Family
I only put some mascara on my upper eyelashes and a thin {really thin} kohl line at the botton. Somehow, when I do my lower lashes with mascara it looks weird. I can't put a finger on it whát exactly makes it weird but somehow it looks smudged even tho it isn't. So only upper lashes for me and a thin kohl line at the bottom since my eyelashes are blond and I want to have it kinda symmetrical.

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
I only wear it on top because i think it looks weird on the bottom for me, and any sort of extra shadow below my eyes makes me look so tired.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
tumblr_lf0m3qeWSL1qd82ewo1_400.jpg

http://****yeahmodernflapper.tumblr.com

Katue

Familiar Face
I put mascara on upper lashes ans some on my bottom lashes. Then I brush my bottom lashes and they look so natural and lump-free. I use a disposable mascara brush. Just put the brush under my lashes and turn the it over the lashes.

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I do top and bottom. My trick is to apply a coat on the top until the brush almost needs to be dipped again, but then using the last bit of mascara that remains on the brush on the bottom lashes so it doesn't look too heavy (does that make sense?)
I have to put brightener powder on my under eyes or I look like I haven't slept in weeks, since I've inherited baggy, dark under eyes.... and I'm only 20!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner