Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mascara on upper lashes only?

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Do you have very fair lashes? If so, I would use mascara on them otherwise it might look a bit odd.

I am lucky as I have dark lashes, just wish they were a bit longer!

Isn't strange how 'usually' you either find a woman has light lashes which are REALLY long, or dark lashes which are REALLY short.

If anyone out there has some long one, I'd be happy to swap? lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
My lashes are short AND blonde on the tips, so look really short, especially as I am fair with dark eyes!

I only ever use mascara on the top lashes normally. If I put it on the bottom it looks smudgy, although it is a more 20s/30s look for evening IF I can get it not to smudge. I never ever use eye pencil under the bottom lashes. I think it is a case of what you are used to, as well as what suits you, but it wasn't something people did back then.

fleur

One of the Regulars
Have you thought about tinting your eyelashes then you could mascara the top for a heavier look and the lower ones not seem so bald - if you know what I mean :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I find that one trick that makes the upper-lash mascara bit work well is to always make sure you curl the lashes before applying. Not everyone does this, and it does make a difference between too-heavy and just-right.

I've never used bottom-lash mascara because it always ends up augmenting the dark circles under my eyes more than it does my lower lashes, and that's never a flattering look...

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I never wear mascara on my lower lashes-- looks too spidery on me and it always smudges. I have long lashes, but so blonde you would never see them except for mascara. I typically wear brown mascara and tightly line with dark brown powder and a flat brush very close to the lash base.

Honey Doll

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I use mascara on the upper lashes only because it smudges on the lower lashes. And when it smudges, it makes me look old and tired.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Oof! I don't like putting mascara on my lower lashes because it just seems to run off and make me look like I have dark circles under my eyes. Who needs that?

I just saw the first picture a friend sent me from my wedding a couple of weeks ago and it's enough to make me want to cry--I sweated a big ole ring of black mascara under my eyes. I'm terrified to see what the pictures might look like. Oof!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the tips ladies. I would love to tint mine but I'm afraid! It's always in the back of my mind tho.
My lashes are thick and I guess considered long. I suppose that's why I can't get used to uppers only because fully mascara clad lashes are the norm for me.
I haven't used a curler in years. I wonder if I even still have one!

Ava definitely has liner under the eye in this top pic, but I'm not sure about mascara on the bottom?
http://www.sant-andreu.com/ppersonals/ava/fotografies.htm

Nikki

Avalon

A-List Customer
I usually only wear it on my upper lashes, unless (as Miss Sis said) I'm going for a 20s/30s look, then I use it on the bottom - but purposely smudge it, along with kohl eyeliner. Gives me an effect like Brooksie has in my avatar. Definitely get a curler, they make such a huge difference, and there are little ones now perfect for your purse. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I wear mascara on both my lower and upper lashes. This all depends on the shape of your eyes and how much you want to define them. I happen to have very dark and thick eyelashes myself, but I love the look of having my lashes frame my eyes.
Smudging is a big problem, but there is an easy solution to this...I highly recommend getting some good quality make-up brushes as well. Anyways, with a small brush, apply some powder under the eyes before putting on mascara on the lower lids. THis will prevent smudging. Also with mascara that runs, waterproof is the way to go.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear mascara on my upper lashes only (and my lashes are very blonde on the tips, making them appear nonexistent without mascara), but I do wear liner on my lower lash line. I've been using Besame's liner and it has excellent staying power; however, you can also stroke a bit of eye shadow in a similar shade over your pencil liner (or use a cake liner, which tends not to be as smudgy) for more staying power.

I rarely curl my lashes as they have a natural curl to them, but I picked up a heated lash curler which I love. The heat helps create even more curl, and the curler is also great for helping to apply false lashes.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont wear make up often, but my lashes are fairly long, and I do need to curl them just to get them out of my eye. My granny gave me the tip of running a spoon under hot water, drying it, and with the spoon bowing out with your thumb, press the lashes to the spoon. Great natural curve and works every time. :)

LD

Tourbillion

Practically Family
My lashes are so light that I can't get away with this. I even tint mine, but the lower lashes always lose the tint after a day or two.

I wear mascara on the bottom, no one is going to convince me that two different colors of eyelashes (strawberry blonde/brown) is going to look good. Smudged one-tone lashes looks better than that.

If you can get away with it fine, but not for me.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lady what a great idea with the spoon! Ah... I wish I had lashes so long that they got in the way! ;)
Nikki

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Another tip for great looking eyes, is not to use eyeliner pencil underneath, if this makes you're eyes look too stark (for some this looks great)....instead, use eyeshadow, this creates a softer look.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Mysterygal, that's what I do. I put a lighter version of my eyeliner in a powdered eyeshadow and using an angled brush, just lightly brush some powder under the lower lashes. I don't put it on all the way across because my eyes angle down at the ends and I don't want to emphasize that. I've put mascara on my lower lashes for years, but recently switched to the angled brush with powdered eye shadow and I like the softer look better and I don't get "raccoon eyes" later in the day. When I'm going for an evening look, I just use a slightly darker color.

Mojito

One Too Many
One of the few advantages to having thick, dark hair is that it came with thick, dark, long lashes (let's just not talk about the heavy eyebrows that were also part of the package...!). I do the uppers but never needed to touch the lowers, although I may use a bit of liner.

My ex once took me to task when I mentioned my eyes were feeling a bit sore and watery - "That's because you always wear all that crap on your eyes!". I was most indignant in response, as at the time I never wore eye makeup unless it was to a formal event. He was amazed - he assumed I used mascara and eyeliner all the time.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have dark brown hair, but short, pale lashes...drives me crazy, so if i don't use lots of mascara, i look like i have pea-eyes.lol

I generally only use mascara on the upper lashes, but i do sometimes if i want to be extra dramatic, apply a light coat on the bottom. Again, my lashes are so pale against my dark hair that i can really get away with it.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Gotta love Granny's tips!!lol

Either waterproof like someone else stated or watch what you are using to remove your eyemakep- sometimes some of that stuff is too oily and the residue is still there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails