Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mascara on upper lashes only?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
that's the great thing about make-up is that you can experiment all you want, and if you don't like the result, just take a washcloth to it! Where I get my ideas are from celebrities who have the same kind of coloring as I do, and has the 'look' that I like. Study the way the make-up is applied and try at home. The most important trick I've learned with make-up is the art of blending.
Places like Nordstroms will do a make-over for you as well-you just need to book an appointment.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
Are lash curlers a must have? I'm kind of scared of these devices! Also, I've seen some mascaras at stores that claim to curl the eyelashes themselves...do these really work?

I couldn't live without my eyelash curlers! My lashes are stick straight and even with lashings of mascara they remain straight, therefore I curl before I apply, afterwards and even throughout the day. If you have lashes with a natural curl you probably wouldn't need them though.

I used to only apply mascara to the upper lashes but started doing the lower lashes within the last couple of years. I think it gives a more complete look.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
]Hmmm well i think she is wearing a bit of natural brown eyeliner smudged in very well[/FONT]. I have very long very dark eyelashes (flutter flutter) but what about using some of that clear mascara for the bottom to add a little depth of colour so you don't feel so naked without the bottom lashes coated;) ?? and no fear of the tint...i have never been brave enough to tint...my friend swears by it, she has long dark lashes and never wears mascara. And as for smudges i use one of those mascaras with a comb applicator...no mess or clumps but yes occasional smudges due my carelessness. Great idea to use a spoon and powder.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I only wear mascara on my top lashes. In fact, I use white mascara and talcum powder on my bottom lashes to whiten them - I just like the top heavy look, very Marilyn Monroe (no pun intended!)

Did you know you can get your eyelashes permed? It supposedly lasts around three months - I've been considering it for awhile as mine are horribly straight and I have to spend ages heading up my curlers with a hairdryer to get any kind of curl into them. And if the weather is wet, they go right back down again. :(

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have one eye with naturally curled lashes and one with naturally straight lashed, don't ask me why. And the straight ones are stubborn, refusing to take a curl.

Enter...Shu Uemera lash curler! I don't know why it works better than any eyelash curler I've ever used, heated or not, but it does! I like to blast it with the blow dryer before curling (careful though, if it's too hot ouch!). Anyway my lashes stay curled all day with this thing.
http://www.shuuemura-usa.com/products/productDetails.aspx?ProductID=1022

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Enter...Shu Uemera lash curler! I don't know why it works better than any eyelash curler I've ever used, heated or not, but it does! I like to blast it with the blow dryer before curling (careful though, if it's too hot ouch!). Anyway my lashes stay curled all day with this thing.
http://www.shuuemura-usa.com/products/productDetails.aspx?ProductID=1022

yes, Shu Uemera makes the best last curler hand's down. I pretty much only curl my lashes for a night out or before putting on fake lashes, but this one is by far the best!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I always wear mascara on my lower lashes - a very light coat. I feel like it helps open up my eyes and doesn't really look like I'm wearing any. I have never had trouble with smudging after I switched to waterproof mascara. That said, after hearing people discuss it here, I may have to try wearing it on the top only for a day or two to see what REALLY looks better!

To remove any mascara I accidentally get where I don't want it, usually a dry Q-Tip will do the trick. If not, I use DHC's Wipe-Off Pencil which is easy to apply to small areas, takes the unwanted makeup right off, and leaves no greasy residue, so you can reapply makeup over that spot immediately.

My lashes aren't thick or long - they're average in every way. I use Revlon's Lash Fantasy (waterproof) and find that the primer that comes with it does a great job of adding fullness and length to my lashes.

As Doghouse said, moving your wand side to side as you move from base to tip will help coat the lashes evenly. I also find that this is the best way to prevent clumping as well! Of course, the easiest way to prevent clumping is to make sure you replace your mascara frequently.

As for liner, I used to wear it on my lower lid and realized that my eyes looked bigger if I didn't. Instead, now I'll just smudge some of the darkest shade of eyeshadow I'm wearing along the lower lash line.

Also, I always line the inside rim of my lower lid with white pencil, as this really helps open up your eyes.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I wanna know what kind of mascara y'all use that smudges so badly! I wonder what other factors contribute to mascara smudging? Greasy undereyes? Or maybe using an under-eye cream that's too thick or greasy could contribute to that? I'm just really curious now since I've never really had this problem....

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Most days I don't wear any make-up except for mascara and find that a little on my lower outer lashes gives my eyes just a little more pop! than without. If I do my entire lower ld it looks too Twiggy-ish/Clockwork Orange without liner. I use a q-tip dabbed in a drop of water and just roll over any specks (or elbow bumped induced smears) that spatter onto my lid, the trick is to let the mascara dry before you clean it up, otherwise it makes it worse!

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Eyelash perms!! Eeek! The heated curler is as far as I want to venture.

I usually curl my lashes first and apply mascara only to the top. Otherwise I get the whole "streetwalker" look going on and that's not what I was shooting for :eusa_doh:

Liquid eyeliner is amazing if it can be applied correctly and if I'm having a good makeup day. lol

Esther May

New in Town
Lady Day said:
I dont wear make up often, but my lashes are fairly long, and I do need to curl them just to get them out of my eye. My granny gave me the tip of running a spoon under hot water, drying it, and with the spoon bowing out with your thumb, press the lashes to the spoon. Great natural curve and works every time. :)

LD
Great tip! I only wear the cheapo Maybelline Great Lash mascara on my upper eyelashes because I hate that raccoon effect if I ever wear mascara on the bottom lashes. But I'd say if you have fair lashes, just simply wear smudgeproof eyeliner at the bottom lashes..it doesn't wear down as much as mascara.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
I wanna know what kind of mascara y'all use that smudges so badly! I wonder what other factors contribute to mascara smudging? Greasy undereyes? Or maybe using an under-eye cream that's too thick or greasy could contribute to that? I'm just really curious now since I've never really had this problem....

Me either...perhaps it's to do with facial features too, like the lashes are closer to the skin? And ours are more forward growing? I have used literally dozens of different brands and never has it ever smudged under my eyes!

Sunny

One Too Many
Hmm... When I used the cheap pink-and-green kind (Cover Girl, I think), it would definitely smear. I switched to waterproof for a long time, which worked, but was such a pain to remove. Just now I'm using the L'oreal Extend or whatever that several people recommended. It's not waterproof, but it hasn't run. Even after working out in warm humidity the last couple evenings, after a long day of work. Yay! :eusa_clap

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I have never had a problem with smudging, either. However, I don't wear mascara on my bottom lashes anymore. A few years ago, several lashes fell out of my bottom right lash line, and never grew back. If I wear mascara, it just highlights the big gap I have.

I have a similar issue with my lashes and curling. Except I have mostly curly lashes on both eyes, with some stick straight lashes. Very odd. I wonder why some stopped curling, because I don't think I had this issue as a teen. Humm ....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
All of my eye makeup smudges. I don't think I rub my eyes during the day. Even though I don't wear any makeup under my eyes, my mascara ends up on my lower lids. (If I did use makeup on my lower lids, I'd look like one of the Olson twins.) I've used different brands and such; it doesn't seem to matter. I just remove it after work.

anabolina

A-List Customer
I've also be afflicted with the racoon eyes when I wore mascara under my eyes. I guess I still wore it that way because... nope can't think why. Anyway that was years ago and this thread inspired me to try out my bottom lashes again. I used the Loreal featherlash in brown and it actually looks pretty good. I think my eyes look weird with the top and bottom mascara, but I suppose it works.

I have seriously blond eyelashes and the brown of the featherlash is a good, not too dark color on me. It also goes on really thin and watery which means no clumps, but when I use the eyelash curler, I get all the excess mascara deposited below my brow and have to wipe it off. It hasn't smudged and given me raccoon eyes yet, but I have 3 more hours of work to get through, so we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails