Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mascara on upper lashes only?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
anabolina said:
I have seriously blond eyelashes and the brown of the featherlash is a good, not too dark color on me. It also goes on really thin and watery which means no clumps, but when I use the eyelash curler, I get all the excess mascara deposited below my brow and have to wipe it off. It hasn't smudged and given me raccoon eyes yet, but I have 3 more hours of work to get through, so we'll see.

Were you curling after applying your mascara? If so, try curling before applying your mascara. Doing it the other way around can damage your lashes.

anabolina

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Were you curling after applying your mascara? If so, try curling before applying your mascara. Doing it the other way around can damage your lashes.

I've done it both ways, but doing it after I apply the mascara seems to give me more of a curl and a longer lasting one. Also no raccoon eyes yesterday, so I suppose I'll wear mascara on the lower lashes more often.

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
anabolina said:
I've done it both ways, but doing it after I apply the mascara seems to give me more of a curl and a longer lasting one. Also no raccoon eyes yesterday, so I suppose I'll wear mascara on the lower lashes more often.

Be careful doing that, in high school my curler "yanked" a huge section of my pre-mascara-ed lashes out and it took several years for them to grow back correctly.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
anabolina said:

Yeah, instead of doing that you should just blast the lash curler with a hair dryer, won't yank out your lashes.

Shearer

Practically Family
Mascara Rec

As long as this thread was up, I thought I'd mention that I tried the Shu Uemura Fiber Xtension mascara I got through Sephora. Great stuff. Doesn't go on gooey or cakey and doesn't clump up your lashes.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
KittyT said:

I always curl them before and after and also regularly throughout the day. My lashes are stick straight and it doesn't matter what type of mascara or how much I use, they just refuse to curl at all.

lolli

New in Town
imvintagebaby2sepia.jpg

This is me with mascara on upper lashes only. It doesn't look terrible, but I do think I look better with mascara on both upper and lower lashes.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
carter said:
I had to give up on mascara. It kept getting in my eyes every time I removed my hat in the shower. :)

...so keep your hat on, silly! :p

I gave up on mascara when I started wearing false lashes regularly. They never smear. Though they do occasionally crawl away and startle people.

--Leslie

fernande

Vendor
The Bee's Knees eyelash curler

japonesque.jpg

Once you get over the somewhat strangeness of the this curler, and after seeing how AMAZING your lashes look after using it, you wonder why not all curlers are shaped this way.

This is set up so you can curl those hard to get lashes (usually on the inside or on the far outsides) it also allows you to get closer to your eye, and pivot easier to help get a stronger curl.
It gives the lashes a beautiful uniform curl (not how sometimes when you curl it seems crooked or not curled evenly across the whole lash)
You can also flip it and curl your LOWER lashes the other direction
*essential* for a doe-eyed- pinup sort of look.

Its great! definately my favorite-
http://www.japonesque.com

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I have started applying mascara to my lower lashes because I am suddenly and passionately into the 60's look but a softer, toned down non-Twiggy effect. I have also, for the first time in over a decade, traded my red/brown lipstick for a light, almost shimmering neutral/pink. I hate to say it, but I noticed that my darker lipstick was starting to make me look older whereas now the lighter colors and more dramatic lashes seem to take away some years!

Regarding not wearing mascara on the lower lashes duw to circles, are you ladies using lightening under eye cream??

jayem

A-List Customer
I neither curl my lashes, OR wear mascara on the bottom.

In fact, nowadays I rarely wear make-up at all. I think mascara on the bottom is a bit too fake on me. I have very dark lashes naturally, but they're not very long.

Lillemor

One Too Many
My lashes don't fit inside conventional lash curlers. I bought a heated one but I rarely remember to use it. I'll have to become more religious with the use of it. 3 layers on top and bottom. It really helps to open up my eyes. 5 layers for evening wear. I don't know how else to open up my eyes. My glasses and already slightly aging eyes don't help matters.:( My lashes are short, sparse, coarse and grow at a down diagonally and straight. The outer lash hairs nearest my temples curl naturally on some days and the heated lash curler has helped with that so I can avoid the outer lashes on those days.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
I tried mascara only on top lashes when I read that this made eyes look bigger. However, it only made mine look undefined. I have deep set eyes and long lashes that are lighter at the tips. I need all the help I can get! So I use a really good mascara primer (it curls too) then put mascara (Max Factor Volume Couture) on the top and a teeny bit on the bottom for a bit of definition. Looks better to me than without as I am very pale as well.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
My eyelashes are just so stinkin long, I cant put mascara on my bottom lashes cause it gets all over the place. My mom makes fun of me and says I have camel lashes.. LOL.. she is just too funny.

WHen I put mascara on.. I think of what she said and always laugh lol

jenacious

New in Town
when i would do makeovers i would just sort of touch the mascara wand on the client's lower lashes, right up at the root instead of drawing the wand down, and keeping the color focused on the outer part of the eye instead of mascara-ing all the lower lashes.
personally, when i put on mascara i blink it on and just the right amount ends up on my lower lashes.
if you're having problems with raccoon eyes make sure your eye cream is kept down on the bone as opposed to being right up on the undereye. the heat of your skin will draw the cream where it needs to go. and also...waterproof mascara smudges easier than regular. crazy but true. anyone else accessorize with mascara? having different kinds/colors based on the look you're going for at the time? or is it just me?:)

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
jenacious said:
when i would do makeovers i would just sort of touch the mascara wand on the client's lower lashes, right up at the root instead of drawing the wand down, and keeping the color focused on the outer part of the eye instead of mascara-ing all the lower lashes.

That is what I do too, if I use at all. I do not curl them because they are already curly like my hair, and a heavy coat on bottom lashes smears (more) easily and accentuates undereye circles (mine are very pronounced), and well I just think it looks plain weird with a light or pale eye look. I only go heavy on the bottom lash when I am doing a very dark eye, smoky or similar, with khol all over etc.

Otherwise a very light touch like jenacious mentioned above, or just a layer of transparent mascara (which I also use to keep my eyebrows in place since they grown downwards). The transparent really works pretty well, after powdering the face the lashes and eyebrows are a bit powdered and look lighter, the transparent mascara makes them stand out a little bit, somehow.

In the ends I guess it depends on the overall look you are going for and your personal features [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner