Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mascara on upper lashes only?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
This thread has really "opened my eyes" (pun intended!). I thought everybody put mascara on their bottom lashes. I have never not done it, I've never even thought about not doing it. Nor has my lower lash mascara ever smudged. [huh]
My lashes are reasonably dark and mediumly long, I just think my eyes look "done" and balanced with it on top and bottom...maybe I will try not putting it on tomorrow and see if it looks nicer.

olive bleu

One Too Many
When i first started wearing mascara, in my teens, i used to put mascara top & bottom. I rememeber reading in a magazine that putting it on upper lashes only, gave a girl a "starry-eyed" effect:) I must have liked the sound of this as i started doing that & now just consider it normal.I have never really given it too much thought. I find it funny now, to learn that so may others consider it "right"

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
My eyelashes are very fair, and I always use mascara on the top and bottom. I think I have a complex. Several makeup artists have tried to do the totally bare look on the bottom of my eye, but I'm irrationally convinced that it looks freakish. I should probably start practicing without it, because there's no good reason behind my obsession with lower lid decor.

BV

texasgirl

One Too Many
BettyValentine said:
My eyelashes are very fair, and I always use mascara on the top and bottom. I think I have a complex. Several makeup artists have tried to do the totally bare look on the bottom of my eye, but I'm irrationally convinced that it looks freakish. I should probably start practicing without it, because there's no good reason behind my obsession with lower lid decor.

BV

I am exactly the same, glad I'm not the only one! lol

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I have translucent eyelashes and extremely pale skin (redhead) and I only do the top lashes. Not only does mascara on the bottom look quite scary, but it also makes my eyes look smaller, so I just chuck it all and just do the top. [huh]

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have auburn hair, but my lashes are more of a medium brown and quite long. I use an auburn mascara on them (black is just too harsh on me), and only on the top lashes. I rarely do anything on the bottom since they end up smudged and messy, but occasionally I'll hit them with a very quick swipe of mascara just to give a hint of color. I will say that I also have very dark brown eyes, so I don't need to do much to draw attention.

Back in high school I wore black mascara on both top and bottom. I'm sure THAT was a great look for me. lol

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Hmm. I only every do the top lash. I have very long bottom lashes and when I put mascara on them it appears as if I had glued some falsies on! Also, I just don't like the look of mascara on the bottom lash. I think it looks good on gals with darker hair and eyes but I am really washed out to begin with so it looks garish IMHO. :eek:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Another thought is playing up the upper lashes as well. (And yes, I too find it amazing how much we all learn about make-up from teenage on! :eek: ) To really give your upper lashes 'oof' first put on mascara on the underside then on the outside so that you are coating both sides of the lashes. This really does a great job of making your eyelashes look thicker, and especially for those of you who already have decent amount of lashes, they'll for sure look like you put on 'fakies'!.
Lower: you guys may want to try a shade lighter in color as well, like say a brown color for the lower ones, just enough to make them stand out just a bit.

doghouse

One of the Regulars
My mother was a model in the 60's. Her advice as far as mascara goes was to wiggle the wand from side to side as you apply. It helps coat both sides of your lashes, making them look thicker. (just don't overdo it or you'll end up with spider lashes.. ick!)

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
My upper lashes are maybe a touch longer than average, but they're nothing to write home about. My lower lashes, though, are much longer than normal. I don't dare put mascara on them because I manage to smudge the (waterproof) mascara on even my upper lashes with regularity.

My eyes are a bit deep set, so I use a trick I once read in a magazine. I think it was from an interview with Jeanine Lobell, who founded Stila cosmetics. To bring them out a little I line the upper lid below the lashes, but only the part directly above the iris. It's a very useful optical illusion.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Mysterygal I like the idea of a lighter shade on bottom... I think I'll try that sometime.
Polka dot, this method is intriquing, I'll have to try that as well!
Thanks ladies!

Nikki

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Are lash curlers a must have? I'm kind of scared of these devices! Also, I've seen some mascaras at stores that claim to curl the eyelashes themselves...do these really work?

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
You could use the mascara that thickens the top lash. Clinique and Max Factor have mascaras that thicken the eyelash. Maybe you could even buy good quality fake eyelashes.

Quelquefois

New in Town
Well..
I've always worn mascara on the upper lashes only and it's only until now that I've discovered that some find it strange.

I used to always wear liquid eyeliner on the outside and under my eyes and only recently have started weening myself off that look, so much so that I can't even apply the liquid eyeliner right.

Like this.

Sometimes I'll just put pencil eyeliner, heavily or lightly, on my lower rim and that's it.

And, like this.

Now to get the look you're going for which is a very clean eye, yes?
Comme ca:
One.
Two.
Three.

Since I find just mascara on the top too bland and simple compared to my previous habits I've got several ways of making this simple look not look so boring. It's really nothing difficult, just mascara on the top, but I figured that maybe you felt that the simplicity defeated the purpose so here goes:

There are four ways of going about this. Swipe one line of eyeliner on the lower rim and blink a little harder than usual, but not enough to tangle your eyelashes if you know what I mean. After that if you have some smudging of eyeliner just wipe off the excess and you're set.

Number two: Moderately line over the root of the lower lashes then rub the eyeliner to create the look you want (but, not a smokey eye). You could also just lightly line over the root of the lower lashes and that's it.

Three: Only line the outer corners of your eyes.

Four. Line the upper rim of your eyes. This is a very freakish process which involves pulling your upper lid so that you can see where your upper lashes start. Right there is where you want to start drawing the line heavy or lightly, whichever way you wish. Just make sure that when you're doing this you don't get the eyeliner on your actual eyelid.

And, one more thing: applying more coats of mascara on the outside lashes creates a different effect. It's hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean.

So, there you have it. ;)

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Don't be afraid to get your lashes tinted. I'd do yours, but you are a bit of a drive. I do know of some lovely and very professional ladies in Missouri that can do a great tint; what city are you in?

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
thats an awesome first post, quelquefois, and very informative

I have always put mascara on both sets of lashes, only a little more lightly on the bottom. it does always seem to smudge though but i guess my eyelashes are rather long on the bottom. [huh]

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Miss Crisplock said:
Don't be afraid to get your lashes tinted. I'd do yours, but you are a bit of a drive. I do know of some lovely and very professional ladies in Missouri that can do a great tint; what city are you in?

I second eyelash tinting. Benefit Cosmetics does them beautifully alone or as part of their "Trio" offering--brow shape, tint and eyelash tint. It's completely addictive, but for me--a person whose mascara runs withing an hour of wearing it--it's genius!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Another way of getting off the extra mascara is to just use your fingertips to lightly brush off the extras....just make sure you've got a warm damp cloth nearby to clean up!

Quelquefois

New in Town
That's strange. My mascara never runs. I use Maybelline blackest black.

I use a q-tip with some lotion on it to take off whatever I've accidentally got onto my eyelids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner