Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching a Sport Coat

AcridSaint

New in Town
Hey all - long time no post.

I got a fantastic deal on this silk jacket:
L11199454.jpg

It's labeled "teal", but I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. I can say that it is slightly more blue than the picture indicates.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what I should pair it with other than brown slacks similar to the ones in the picture. I generally don't buy jackets, only suits, because I don't want to wonder if I did it "right" when it comes to matching up the bottom to the top, but I saw this in town and had to have it.

Any recommendations on what trousers to wear with it? What about tie colors? Just stick to the white, solid print shirt or maybe spice it up a bit? I'm usually on the conservative side, but only because I don't know how to tell when daring becomes daft.

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
AcridSaint said:
Any recommendations on what trousers to wear with it? What about tie colors? Just stick to the white, solid print shirt or maybe spice it up a bit? I'm usually on the conservative side, but only because I don't know how to tell when daring becomes daft.
Nice jacket.I would go with navy slacks.
I think a navy shirt without a tie would look good.If you want to spice it up then wear a mostly navy multicolored shirt with pattern.
When you want to wear a tie and be on the conservative side I would recommend wearing a white shirt with a navy tie

AcridSaint

New in Town
HI all - thanks for the replies. I actually did already browse through all of the links in the sticky. I have determined that some ivory or off-white pants will look good, which I found from one of the pictures in the thread.
009-14.jpg

I have some very light beige that seem to work and confirm that some sort of near-white pant will be appropriate. Also, interestingly enough, black slacks seem to be a real possibility. I'll probably pick up some new off-white (my last pair ended up with a huge black mark across them, keeping away from white pants for several years now) and some lighter brown pants over the weekend. I think this will give me plenty of options.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, you're off to a good start.

One thing I have learned over the years... It's not so much "Matching" that's important, because if it matched, it wouldn't be a sport outfit... right?

It's about what would compliment the coat is the more accurate approach. I think the mocha flavored trousers look very smart, also a navy blue would suit it very well. Cream would set you straight for a proper vacation at Pebble Beach. ;)

I think you have the right idea so, good luck and let's see some photos soon.

AcridSaint

New in Town
You're right, I suppose match wasn't the appropriate term. I'm always worried that my eye sees something as attractive and no one else does, which is the main reason I have avoided sport coats for so long. I'll get some photos in here sometime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart