Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEAT in the Golden Era

PrettySquareGal said:
This article is interesting in that it points out that the younger generations are clueless about meat:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060413/ap_on_bi_ge/baffled_by_beef

Now that is interesting. How on earth can a man of 32 years know nothing about cooking from scratch? Don't they teach home economics at school any more? If not, they should.

How on earth does he run a successful BBQ without knowing about different cuts of meat, and how they'll react on the grill?

Good Lord.

bk

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I believe there's very few people who know how to cook from scratch. Nowadays, everythings done for you, canned soup, bread, ect. I even had no idea how to cook from scratch until a year ago . Amazingly, it's not that hard, and the food tastes so much better.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
I believe there's very few people who know how to cook from scratch. Nowadays, everythings done for you, canned soup, bread, ect. I even had no idea how to cook from scratch until a year ago . Amazingly, it's not that hard, and the food tastes so much better.

You are so right, mysterygal!

My mother taught all of us kids how to cook from scratch, particularly my brother and me. She could see that the way modern life was going, our wives would probably not know how to cook. She was right. Since then, my wife has learned how to cook from my teaching her, and now she enjoys it as much as I do.

Brad

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
that's one of the must's on teaching my kids, is that they know how to cook...real food! I grew up on boxed food..I eat that stuff now, and it's horrible..plus, there is absolutely nothing nutritionaly good about it. You had a good mom Brad :D

Baron Kurtz said:
Now that is interesting. How on earth can a man of 32 years know nothing about cooking from scratch? Don't they teach home economics at school any more? If not, they should.

How on earth does he run a successful BBQ without knowing about different cuts of meat, and how they'll react on the grill?

Good Lord.

bk

Of course they teach home economics but it is an elective that girls take and boys take to be with the girls. ;) At least it was that way when I was still in school. Now I am not sure. I have heard that, locally, they are discontinuing these courses due to low interest by both boys and girls. The classes have been cut to a minimum.
While I don't exactly go shopping for groceries, I know how to cook meat---just as long as it is on the backyard grille. ;) I am not allowed to cook int he kitchen. :D
My wife tells me that there are cook books. "What is the matter, can't they read?"

Regards,

J

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
home ec. started falling away while I was in my freshman year, nobody cared for it. A lot of the schools around here don't have it. It's a shame cause if you hear what the average American family lives on, it's not pretty

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
My wife tells me that there are cook books. "What is the matter, can't they read?"

Regards,

J[/QUOTE]
This day in age, I wouldn't doubt it, although thinking about it, they probably look at the abbreviations for measuring utinsels...tsp, Tlb, C. ect....and wonder what in the world their talking about!:p

mysterygal said:

Regards,

J
This day in age, I wouldn't doubt it, although thinking about it, they probably look at the abbreviations for measuring utinsels...tsp, Tlb, C. ect....and wonder what in the world their talking about!:p[/QUOTE]

That's funny. I hear over my shoulder that "those people are so used to getting fastfood like pizza that they never learned. If it doesn't come in a box or a bag they are lost. The spoons are labeled and so are the measuring cups. If that isn't enough, the cookbook has a section where it explains measurements. There is no excuse." lol

Regards,

J

I honestly don't think i could have survived undergraduate without having learned to cook from my mother, grandmother, and school. When you have verrrry little money, it's amazing to find out how cheap it can be to eat well.

These days, i don't cook much. My long work hours tend to preclude my coming home and cooking. So the Baroness does it (her grandmother was the chef for the Malaysian Olympic team, and her family ran a restaurant when she was a kid - she learned from the best, and i'm learning a lot from her). I cook on weekends. And it looks like the weather is going to make that job even easier. BBQs here i come!!

bk ... bbq :essen: :hamburger :fedora:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I cook pretty simply and cookbooks, especially old ones, can assume too much base knowledge. (Difference between mince and dice? It's chopping, its all chopping, say I!)

Baking is another whole mystery.[huh]

Some things I know how to do without knowing the correct term for it.

I can still cook from scratch, especially with recipes shown me in person. And really there's no excuse for not knowing how to cook different cuts of beef. Stuff like veal heart/kidneys is probably an acquired taste, though.

Things like the existence of boxed mac-and-cheese make me sad. Good pasta is so easy to make and bad pasta tastes like poo.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Oh man, I could seriously offend so many vegetarians with that! I am so afraid the future will be full of belligerent, atheist, politcally correct vegans! I must fight it! But other than that...those pictures are making me might hungry!

jamespowers said:
That's funny. I hear over my shoulder that "those people are so used to getting fastfood like pizza that they never learned.

Funnily enough i'm making pizza this evening.

My school work experience was in a bakery ... where i was taught by a very old gent how to make bread by hand - "with the ball of the hand ... git yer g*ddamn fingers out of the dough!". Great man. I learned a lot. (I also worked in a butchers shop, where i learned a lot about meat. MInce ain't chopped, for example. ;) )

I assure you; If kids - y adults - taste a fine, homemade pizza, they'll never visit one of those chain "pizzerias" (where human hands have never ventured towards the dough) again. No pizza can compare.

bk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy