Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mending Mens Suits - 1943

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's a 1943 Government publication on how to mend mens suits. I got it on ebay a little bit ago and thought it may come in handy to some of you.

P1070626.jpg

P1070627.jpg

P1070628.jpg

P1070629.jpg

P1070630.jpg

P1070631.jpg

P1070632.jpg

P1070633.jpg

P1070634.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
That's amazing. I know I'll be able to use this at some point.

One of my suits has one of those pocket repairs in the trousers. With the result that the repaired right pocket is deeper than the left.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I recently bought a copy of that booklet, too, thinking I'd share it here (since I don't sew), but you beat me to it, Dinerman.

HoundstoothLuke

Familiar Face
Very interesting stuff there, and a far cry from today when the trousers would just be chucked out rather than repaired.

On a related note, how much did men's fashions change in the US during ww2? Were double breasted suits and waistcoats frowned upon due to the excess material used?

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
My little bit....

HoundstoothLuke said:
Very interesting stuff there, and a far cry from today when the trousers would just be chucked out rather than repaired.

On a related note, how much did men's fashions change in the US during ww2? Were double breasted suits and waistcoats frowned upon due to the excess material used?

A lot of changes were made for the War effort. One of the biggest is that trousers weren't produced with cuffs. the plain hem would save a couple inches of material. When the War was over, you then see a lot of cuffs returning to trouser ads and then into one's wardrobe.

And quite simply, most people really curtailed their clothing purchases during those years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo