Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Fashion and Grooming Crimes at Work

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
But if you'd been an adult in the '70s, and you needed a new tie, then you'd have bought that new tie in the '70s. Hence, the tie would have been a '70s tie. And yes, you would have bought it at Brooks Brothers, not at Zachary All. And it would have been 100% silk, not polyester. And once the '80s came around, you would have been able to have it narrowed.

Marc Chevalier said:
But if you'd been an adult in the '70s, and you needed a new tie, then you'd have bought that new tie in the '70s. Hence, the tie would have been a '70s tie. And yes, you would have bought it at Brooks Brothers, not at Zachary All. And it would have been 100% silk, not polyester. And once the '80s came around, you would have been able to have it narrowed.

What you don't think I had 70s ties in the 70s?
Those went in the ashcan in the 1980s. They could have been altered but they weren't. [huh]

Regards,

J

Doh!

One Too Many
So anyway...

Last week, I was in Starbucks behind a guy wearing T-shirt, jeans and flip-flops. When the cashier asked him, "Can I help you?" his reply was, "Yes! I'm here for an interview."

Now, I realize Starbucks ain't the Ritz, but c'mon -- at least wear slacks and a dress shirt! Oh, and SOCKS. Even if it was for an interview in a record store, have some pride, man!

Sunny

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Every time I see a man with a soul patch, I feel like saying, "You missed a spot shaving."

Great words! :eusa_clap I'm very opinionated about a few things; this is one of them. I can't stand those!

Hondo

One Too Many
Don't wear a soul patch (that little rectangle of unshaven hair beneath your lower lip)
lol lol lol

Sorry to drop in late, but yeah an excellent idea,
I wear Jerry Garcia tie just to be freaky once in a while,
I got to move on up in styles, Thanks for the tips :)

Doh! said:
So anyway...

Last week, I was in Starbucks behind a guy wearing T-shirt, jeans and flip-flops. When the cashier asked him, "Can I help you?" his reply was, "Yes! I'm here for an interview."

Now, I realize Starbucks ain't the Ritz, but c'mon -- at least wear slacks and a dress shirt! Oh, and SOCKS. Even if it was for an interview in a record store, have some pride, man!

Gee, what a real go getter this guy was. :eusa_doh: I think you would have to define pride for this person. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
From the same site

Do You Dress for Success?

By Kate Lorenz, CareerBuilder.com Editor

Most people make initial decisions about you in the first five minutes they meet you. That abbreviated window could be an excellent opportunity to project a confident, professional image or just enough time for them to decide you're not right for the position or are not management material.

Does your style say, "I'm an up-and-comer" or "I'm inept"? See what these fashion statements say about you at work:

1. You're headed off to an interview at a young, fast-paced, high-tech company and show up in jeans and gym shoes.

What your style says about you: 'I'm lazy and not really interested in getting this position.'

"Always dress for a typical interview," says Orville Pierson, senior vice president at Lee Hecht Harrison, a job search and career management consulting firm, and author of "The Unwritten Rules of the Highly Effective Job Search." Even in the most lax work environments, it's always better to come to the interview dressed a notch above what the prevailing culture dictates, he says

2. You come to work every day with a crumpled shirt thinking nobody probably notices anyway.

What your style says about you: "I'm messy. If I'm this careless about the way I dress everyday, imagine how much I will mess up any projects I'm assigned."

For years Jo Farrell of the Jo Farrell Group in Denver has been teaching communication skills and providing image counseling. She warns that clients and hiring managers won't trust you can perform the job if you can't come to work looking professional.

3. You wear "club attire" to the office because you're meeting friends out after work.

What your style says about you: "I dress provocatively because I'm hiding my lack of professional qualifications."

"You want to be taken seriously," Pierson says. But dressing like a vamp is a surefire way to take you out of the running for future advancement.

4. You see no harm in maintaining your individuality amidst the homogenous corporate crowds. (Besides, the pink hair dye is only temporary.)

What your style says about you: "I'm thumbing my nose at the prevailing company culture and don't care if I'm not taken seriously."

"People make decisions on various factors, some conscious and some subconscious," Pierson says. Even though your work may be admirable, if your mohawk makes people feel uneasy, you won't advance in a corporate profession.

5. The bulk of your wardrobe is beyond retro, looking more like it came from your late uncle Lenny's closet.

What your style says about you: "I'm out of the loop. I rarely poke my head out of my cubicle and fully expect to retire from this same position years from now."

These days you needn't spend a fortune to have a neat, contemporary and professional wardrobe. There are several moderately-priced retail chains and even some surprising finds at the giant discount stores. The point is, you must make an effort to maintain a polished appearance.

If you see yourself in any of these situations, launch a makeover immediately.

"We used to be able to give candidates very explicit instructions on how to dress," says Pierson. "Today all of that has changed." The key is knowing what is acceptable in your industry. The cosmetic industry's accepted style norms will be a far cry from those of a public accounting firm. That's why when you are looking for a job, its important to research the company culture, he notes.

If you're at a loss for what is acceptable, choose an appropriate role model. "Instead of modeling yourself after entertainers in Hollywood, model yourself after business and community leaders you admire," Farrell suggests.

I don't think many people here will agree with #5.

J.S.Udontknowme said:
Do You Dress for Success?

By Kate Lorenz, CareerBuilder.com Editor

Most people make initial decisions about you in the first five minutes they meet you. That abbreviated window could be an excellent opportunity to project a confident, professional image or just enough time for them to decide you're not right for the position or are not management material.

Does your style say, "I'm an up-and-comer" or "I'm inept"? See what these fashion statements say about you at work:

1. You're headed off to an interview at a young, fast-paced, high-tech company and show up in jeans and gym shoes.

What your style says about you: 'I'm lazy and not really interested in getting this position.'

"Always dress for a typical interview," says Orville Pierson, senior vice president at Lee Hecht Harrison, a job search and career management consulting firm, and author of "The Unwritten Rules of the Highly Effective Job Search." Even in the most lax work environments, it's always better to come to the interview dressed a notch above what the prevailing culture dictates, he says

2. You come to work every day with a crumpled shirt thinking nobody probably notices anyway.

What your style says about you: "I'm messy. If I'm this careless about the way I dress everyday, imagine how much I will mess up any projects I'm assigned."

For years Jo Farrell of the Jo Farrell Group in Denver has been teaching communication skills and providing image counseling. She warns that clients and hiring managers won't trust you can perform the job if you can't come to work looking professional.

3. You wear "club attire" to the office because you're meeting friends out after work.

What your style says about you: "I dress provocatively because I'm hiding my lack of professional qualifications."

"You want to be taken seriously," Pierson says. But dressing like a vamp is a surefire way to take you out of the running for future advancement.

4. You see no harm in maintaining your individuality amidst the homogenous corporate crowds. (Besides, the pink hair dye is only temporary.)

What your style says about you: "I'm thumbing my nose at the prevailing company culture and don't care if I'm not taken seriously."

"People make decisions on various factors, some conscious and some subconscious," Pierson says. Even though your work may be admirable, if your mohawk makes people feel uneasy, you won't advance in a corporate profession.

5. The bulk of your wardrobe is beyond retro, looking more like it came from your late uncle Lenny's closet.

What your style says about you: "I'm out of the loop. I rarely poke my head out of my cubicle and fully expect to retire from this same position years from now."

These days you needn't spend a fortune to have a neat, contemporary and professional wardrobe. There are several moderately-priced retail chains and even some surprising finds at the giant discount stores. The point is, you must make an effort to maintain a polished appearance.

If you see yourself in any of these situations, launch a makeover immediately.

"We used to be able to give candidates very explicit instructions on how to dress," says Pierson. "Today all of that has changed." The key is knowing what is acceptable in your industry. The cosmetic industry's accepted style norms will be a far cry from those of a public accounting firm. That's why when you are looking for a job, its important to research the company culture, he notes.

If you're at a loss for what is acceptable, choose an appropriate role model. "Instead of modeling yourself after entertainers in Hollywood, model yourself after business and community leaders you admire," Farrell suggests.

I don't think many people here will agree with #5.

While I don't agree with number five in its exclusion of everything vintage, there are some things that will definitely not fit in. A frock coat and dressing as one did in the 1800s might go a little far. A suit from the 1930s and 40s would likely fit right in though. People ask me all the time about where to get something I am wearing. Tell them Bloomingdales so they can look around like crazy for what you wear. ;) :D

Regards,

J

Sunny

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
While I don't agree with number five in its exclusion of everything vintage, there are some things that will definitely not fit in. A frock coat and dressing as one did in the 1800s might go a little far. A suit from the 1930s and 40s would likely fit right in though. People ask me all the time about where to get something I am wearing. Tell them Bloomingdales so they can look around like crazy for what you wear. ;) :D

Regards,

J

Number 5 got a raised eyebrow from me, too. But only on first blush. Her second sentence is the key:
She's not speaking to those who wear 1930s and 40s clothes. She's speaking to those who wear 1970s, 80s, and 90s clothes - because they never stopped wearing them. I see people like that, and they stand out.

If she objected to wearing 30s and 40s (IF! ha), it would be because of Number 4. Not as extreme, but definitely noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran