Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milspec A-2 vs. G-1 sizes for USwings

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
recently had some sizing problems with uswings signature milspec A-2 when i ordered it the same size as my uswings signature milspec G-1...the A-2 was a size too big, so finally i became smart enough to call uswings and get their inch dimensions on both coats...it seems since the G-1 is a warmer jacket (has a bit more of a lining), the A-2 is sized a bit bigger to account for adding a sweater or such underneath...they're both military sized so i think this discrepancy screws people up when ordering one, and then thinking the other will be the same size....here are the sizes from uswings for A-2 vs. G-1 signature series milspec on a 44 long vs 46 long for both jackets to give you an idea...before ordering from them, if you do, you might wish to check your own sizes:

44long A-2:
armpit to armpit 20"
shoulder to shoulder 21 1/4"
length bottom collar to jacket end 28 1/2"

44long G-1:
armpit to armpit 18 3/4""
shoulder to shoulder 18 5/8"
length bottom collar to jacket end 28 1/4"length bottom collar to jacket end

46long A-2:
armpit to armpit 20 3/4"
shoulder to shoulder 22"
length bottom collar to jacket end 29"

46long G-1:
armpit to armpit 19 1/2"
shoulder to shoulder 19 1/4"
length bottom collar to jacket end 28 3/4"

so having been perfectly happy with my 46 long G-1, i bought the same size in the a-2, both signature series milspec, and found it one size too big

an additional issue was that the cuffs and jacket end fabric on the G-1, which was bought 5 years ago, is still in near perfect condition today after about 30 wearings...the cuffs/end fabric on the A-2, bought in december, is extremely piled, fuzzed and stretched out of shape up after about 15-20 wearings...i wrote uswings owner sgt. hack directly about this since he has a great reputation for customer service issues, and haven't heard back anything...so quality may have gone down on this portion of the jacket...despite the lack of a response on this issue, i'm rolling the dice and ordering another a-2, the correct size (compensating for uswings oversizing of their a-2 milspecs)...hope the cuffs/end fabric won't start decomposing again...i do like the cut of uswings milspec jackets, and the quality is decent (only decent because stitching has spots where thread ends are just sticking out rather than sewn back so they are not visible)...

definitely think uswings should mention the oversizing in their a-2s since no other manufacturer does this, nor did past manufacturers...and i'd recommend that someone in the company at least respond to an email about major quality problems...i know when i had a similar quality issue with a cockpitusa jacket, the owner of the company emailed right back and went beyond what i even had requested in meeting my satisfaction...sorry to see uswings doesn't follow that lead...they do, ironically, sell cockpitusa jackets on the uswings website...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925