Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Money Clip question

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I have been wanting to use one for a while but always afraid that people will think I am just trying to show off my "wad of cash".

Anyone feel this?

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
I've got a nice money clip (found at a garage sale...unsure of its vintage and value), but I've never gotten into the swing of using it. I'm paranoid about losing my wallet and keys...a money clip just seems like one more thing to forget at the bar.

Bassman

A-List Customer
Not that I carry much cash around, but I use a clip and I have my one dollar bills on the outside so I'm not flashing a wad around.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
My wife gave me a money clip about 6 1/2 years ago; one of those that you can get at a kiosk in a mall that sells things that can be engraved and given as gifts. Most of the plating has worn off now, but I've never given it any thought as to what anyone thinks about it. Never occurred to me. [huh]

I, too, generally keep the ones on top, but that's mostly so they are hand for use in the soda machine! lol

Cheers,
Tom

Mav

A-List Customer
Honda Enoch said:
I have been wanting to use one for a while but always afraid that people will think I am just trying to show off my "wad of cash".

Anyone feel this?

Nope. They're handy as hell. I started carrying my cash separate from my wallet about 20 years ago, for security reasons. It's better than fumbling through a wad of unorganized bills floating around in your pocket. Like Bassman says, put the ones on the outside if it makes you feel less ostentatious.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
well, I keep my ones on the outside in my wallet. I just didn't want to feed odd about having lots of bills in a clip.

thanks for the input all.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Along with my money clip, I use one of those rubber squeeze coin purses. :D

jbktrading_2120_7898680

Started using them in the early '90s when stationed overseas. Would have at least two in my pocket, one for US change and one for change in the currency of whichever country I was in at the time. Worked out well, and I kept on using one when I returned stateside.

I suppose it's not very stylish, but it gets the job done and hey, it's from the '50s--what's not to love? lol

Cheers,
Tom

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
I personally use a wallet. It seems a bit counter-productive to carry money in my pocket when where is a perfectly good place in my wallet. What about hybrids?
magnetic-money-clip-wallet55351.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
My current wallet doesn't have a pocket for cash.

I do have a new wallet that I haven't gotten around to using. I keep my wallet in my front pocket, and this one is made for that location.

rogue_wallet_3.jpg

One of these days I will start using it, whenever my current one wears out.

Cheers,
Tom

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Tango Yankee said:
My current wallet doesn't have a pocket for cash.

I do have a new wallet that I haven't gotten around to using. I keep my wallet in my front pocket, and this one is made for that location.

rogue_wallet_3.jpg

One of these days I will start using it, whenever my current one wears out.

Cheers,
Tom
That's an interesting design, I like it

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Vintage lover said:
I personally use a wallet. It seems a bit counter-productive to carry money in my pocket when where is a perfectly good place in my wallet. What about hybrids?
magnetic-money-clip-wallet55351.jpg

I have one from Orvis like the black clip. It's in bison leather. It looks nice, but the designers forgot to take one thing into account. The magnetic clip faces the other direction; it opens towards the open end of the credit card pocket; so that when you regularly open the clip to pull the bills out, it stretches the wall of the pocket. Then all the cards fall out when you turn it the wrong way. I'm considering a metal clip (Art Deco vintage? Someday I'll throw a line out on the classifieds...).

Chainsaw

Suspended
I used to be against cash, and would only carry my debit cards etc in an old leather calculator case. Debits used everywhere here in Canada, and unless your getting a deal on something, you don't need cash.

Nowadays though I'm doing a lot of cash jobs, and so I carry just a couple hundred, just for gas and food.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
money clip

I have a wallet and money clip. I keep my drivers license and a few cards in the wallet (back pocket). I keep my cash in my money clip.

Before I did this, my back would hurt something awful because the wallet affected my spine. It was a tip from my doctor to separate the money from the wallet. I'll never go back now.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
SlyGI said:
I have a wallet and money clip. I keep my drivers license and a few cards in the wallet (back pocket). I keep my cash in my money clip.

Before I did this, my back would hurt something awful because the wallet affected my spine. It was a tip from my doctor to separate the money from the wallet. I'll never go back now.

That's why I changed from the tri-fold wallet I had, to the thinner breast pocket wallet.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
A bit off-topic here from the things men carry, but I actually use a cigarette case. I received one as a gift but quit smoking. I found that the case worked great for holding my credit cards, driver's license, etc - they fit perfectly! There's a little extra room for a few bills, or I stuff my bills with my change in a change purse. A wallet is too much to carry around and too likely to collect junk.

Optionseeker

New in Town
SlyGI said:

My Doc gave me the same advice because of sciatic pain... it really helped. I found a older Tiffany clip on eBay for a reasonable price and use it all the time.

J

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
SlyGI said:
I've been looking for a breast pocket wallet. What kind did you get?

I dont know of the brand. it was just a genuine leather one I found at a flea market for $5. I have had it since December and love it. it has helped my back a lot. I keep it in my back pocket (since it's too hot to wear a coat), but I will try it in my breast pocket this winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner