Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monitor in cordovan, while his lady wears black leather...

BobJ

Practically Family
vv-work-jacket.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
If he is indeed a bass player this should do the trick... He might spontaneously combust!

(Just noticed the reflection in the ashtray, good thing i wasn't naked!)

DSC_7448_zpsyxnp770n.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Are those Rotosound's?
For some reason I've always preferred Precision to Jazz.

These are Thomastic flatwounds, i like to keep lower tension strings on this one, the truss rod is a bit tired.
I do use nickel Rotosounds on all my main players though. With a few d'Addario chromes thrown in for good measure.
Like you i am a P bass guy, i got this jazz 10 years ago when i still thought more knobs and pickups was better.
Now, give me a single coil P bass and i am good to go.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
These are Thomastic flatwounds, i like to keep lower tension strings on this one, the truss rod is a bit tired.
I do use nickel Rotosounds on all my main players though. With a few d'Addario chromes thrown in for good measure.
Like you i am a P bass guy, i got this jazz 10 years ago when i still thought more knobs and pickups was better.
Now, give me a single coil P bass and i am good to go.

I also use Roto's, mainly steel but also nickels. Last month I got for the first time some DR's for the P-bass on the photo. Although I still haven't play a lot with them (my limited music playing time is dedicated to much higher frequencies the last years) I find Rotosound better.
I love flats - up to the point they get older than 2 weeks. Then I find the sound too muddy.
The racer is the 641 or 141?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I also use Roto's, mainly steel but also nickels. Last month I got for the first time some DR's for the P-bass on the photo. Although I still haven't play a lot with them (my limited music playing time is dedicated to much higher frequencies the last years) I find Rotosound better.
I love flats - up to the point they get older than 2 weeks. Then I find the sound too muddy.
The racer is the 641 or 141?

High frequencies are the devil! (Although i do admit to sometimes playing these high pitched tiny basses with many strings...)

The racer is actually a 644, i don't think they make it anymore, not sure how it differs from the current 641.
It used to be a a steer 141 but because it was "slim fit" it was tagged one size smaller. ie a size 40 141 was the same as a size 42 644.
They might have started the 641 as a way to get rid of that weird sizing quirk.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
High frequencies are the devil! (Although i do admit to sometimes playing these high pitched tiny basses with many strings...)

The racer is actually a 644, i don't think they make it anymore, not sure how it differs from the current 641.
It used to be a a steer 141 but because it was "slim fit" it was tagged one size smaller. ie a size 40 141 was the same as a size 42 644.
They might have started the 641 as a way to get rid of that weird sizing quirk.

There is a similar discrepancy between 141 and 641 (and 118 and 618), the pit-to-pit measurement of a size 36 1XX-series is the same as a size 38 6XX-series.
Switching between bass and violin (and vice-versa) makes a big difference, not only on the frequency of the sound and the size of the instrument, but also on the gauge of the string (and its effect on your fingers!). And ofcourse a wrong note sounds much worse the higher it is!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
There is a similar discrepancy between 141 and 641 (and 118 and 618), the pit-to-pit measurement of a size 36 1XX-series is the same as a size 38 6XX-series.
Switching between bass and violin (and vice-versa) makes a big difference, not only on the frequency of the sound and the size of the instrument, but also on the gauge of the string (and its effect on your fingers!). And ofcourse a wrong note sounds much worse the higher it is!

At least you are keeping to four strings, it's much cleaner than 6!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot