Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monster Bash Videos ... show us how you bash!!

tommyK

One Too Many
I think if you're going to do the cattleman on a wide ribbon hat you've got to have one with 5 1/2+ inches of open crown height or they don't look right
db00681d-62e2-4f0f-a242-b5f531860097_zpsdrit62eh.jpg

This Mallory, for example is in the 5 5/8 inch open crown range. I got this hat from gdurand and wanted to make it different somehow so I tried the cattleman

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tommy, that Mallory looks freaking awesome with that Cattleman's crease. It's a beautiful hat to begin with!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I think if you're going to do the cattleman on a wide ribbon hat you've got to have one with 5 1/2+ inches of open crown height or they don't look right
db00681d-62e2-4f0f-a242-b5f531860097_zpsdrit62eh.jpg

This Mallory, for example is in the 5 5/8 inch open crown range. I got this hat from gdurand and wanted to make it different somehow so I tried the cattleman
City hat with a Cattlemen's crease. Sorta Carson City. Nice.

EstherWeis

Vendor
I have to tell you ... I'm impressed with the felt ... very light... very soft

they weren't all this light and soft thought so I'm glad I was able to pick in person ... they definitely varied

what was interesting was all the light gray hats were slightly heavier and felt more ... for lack of a better term... camp draft-ish.... but the dark brown, dark gray, and steel gray were all pretty soft and light ... this particular one felt most soft to me

but yes this particular hat has many vintage qualities ...

I have also noticed this issue a couple of times myself.

I order exactly the same felt in a couple of colors, and they can feel very different.
My supplier told me that the dyeing can do that. Some colors need a sturdier felt to get a nice even color distribution.
I don't know if that is the only factor, but I have noticed a definite difference with all the red felts.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I have also noticed this issue a couple of times myself.

I order exactly the same felt in a couple of colors, and they can feel very different.
My supplier told me that the dyeing can do that. Some colors need a sturdier felt to get a nice even color distribution.
I don't know if that is the only factor, but I have noticed a definite difference with all the red felts.

I came across this a while ago. I posted the section on fur felt but the link to the entire piece is included.

THE DYEING OF WOOL AND OF FUR BODIES FOR HAT MAKING, TEXTILE COLORIST, BY J.A. WILSON, 1921

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...at-making-textile-colorist-by-ja-wilson-1921/

Thank you. The hat I am wearing is an early (1941-42) Stetson Stratoliner. The brim is basically the hat's natural flange worn without a snap down. With a wider brim., I sometimes will anti-Nortonize by applying a light touch with a steam iron (always with a cotton cloth between the hat and the iron) to flatten the flange at the front. I believe I did so on this hat.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thank you. The hat I am wearing is an early (1941-42) Stetson Stratoliner. The brim is basically the hat's natural flange worn without a snap down. With a wider brim., I sometimes will anti-Nortonize by applying a light touch with a steam iron (always with a cotton cloth between the hat and the iron) to flatten the flange at the front. I believe I did so on this hat.

maybe a vid on that brim treatment ?

I for one could benefit from that ... I'm sure others as well

EstherWeis

Vendor
I liked the " virgin bash" video.
Thank you for that, Moon!
I can imagine the excitement. :)

I am working on 2 identical hats, one vintage felt and one modern day produced tissue felt.
Might be interesting how both of them ( virgin )bash and compare. At least it is to me.
If y'all would like to see I'll record...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I liked the " virgin bash" video.
Thank you for that, Moon!
I can imagine the excitement. :)

I am working on 2 identical hats, one vintage felt and one modern day produced tissue felt.
Might be interesting how both of them ( virgin )bash and compare. At least it is to me.
If y'all would like to see I'll record...

I would love to see that... Can't imagine others don't feel the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner