Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morning Coat and Dinner Jacket?

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
Is there any functional difference between a Stresemann or Morning Coat and a two button, peak lapel dinner jacket? Could a chap on a budget pull double duty? The only possible discrepancy that leaps to mind is the facing on the dinner jacket's lapels.

Edward

Bartender
Technically a dinner jacket should only have one button (or one fastening button, in the case of a DB). That, along with the facings, give it a clear distinction from the Stroller.

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
Technically a dinner jacket should only have one button (or one fastening button, in the case of a DB). That, along with the facings, give it a clear distinction from the Stroller.

You know what, you are absolutely right. :eusa_doh: Shoot, MY dinner jacket only has one button. I don't know where my brain was when I typed two.

Edward

Bartender
:lol: Easy done. So many commercial DJs these days are two button, notch lapel, pocket flaps.... Basically a standard lounge jacket run up in black and with satin lapels. Still (aside from notch lapels, though many of us don't care for them on a dj) "wrong", but if it persists there will have to come a point in time when it's as much the new normal as was the dj itself by the early 30s, for good or ill.

I'm a fan of the stroller / black lounge look myself. It's very rarely seen in the UK - mostly on undertakers and freemasons. I'm tempted to sort mine out for graduation ceremonies in the Winter.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I'm a fan of the stroller / black lounge look myself. It's very rarely seen in the UK - mostly on undertakers and freemasons. I'm tempted to sort mine out for graduation ceremonies in the Winter.

I need to get a new stroller outfit, and when I'm in a position that requires attendance at commencement I'll wear it with my gown. Should look good under the Leeds PhD robes. Even without the stroller I'll stand out amongst most of the other American academics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80