Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycle Jackets and a Fedora?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am looking at buying a new leather jacket and and I am leaning towards a Biker style. Kind of like the one you see House wear in the Fox television show. Now does anyone have any opinions on how a fedora and a jacket like that look together? Sharp? Silly? Am I nuts? Any input would be nice.

Johnny

W4ASZ

Practically Family
I think yes ...

You can do well with this combination. I suggest picking out the jacket you like best without regard to the hat. Wear it, then carefully consider what hat might work best to accompany it. It's cheaper to switch hats than jackets.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
By motorcycle jacket, do you mean a cafe racer or "brando" style jacket?

A cafe racer could work, but it would have to be very simple brown or black leather, without decoration. At least that's my opinion. A fedora is typically a dressier hat, so I think a "dress" motorcycle jacket (clean and classic, no stripes or racing logos) could work with a fedora. Personally, I'd say an 8-panel newsboy looks better. But that's me.

You might do better to make the jacket the one "dressed down" variant of your outfit. Maybe flannel or tweed pants, dress boots or shoes, a nice oxford or dress shirt and a sweater for when it get's cold? Add the leather jacket to that for a casual-dress look. The hat just adds the final punch.

As for a "brando" jacket with a fedora, I imediately thought of this: http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/Denise Collier.jpg

Not the canonized brando jacket, of course, but still darn cool. I think the plainer the motorcycle jacket, the better...

Cheers

RP

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
When it's not summer, my Brando-style Vanson Thunderbird and Adventurebilt Fedora are pretty much my every-day outerwear uniform. You can definitely pull that look off, no problem.

I own a couple of Cafe Racer jackets (an Icon Retro Daytona - tons of patches-, and a Wilson's, dark brown with white racing stripes), and I think those are a bit harder to pull off with a fedora. At least, looking in the mirror, something doesn't look right when I'm wearing that combo. The Cafe Racer style seems more modern, and just kinda clashes style-wise with a fedora. A wide-brimmed one anyways. I think a stingy brim might work okay though.

Vic

One of the Regulars
BTTFII
marty_danceii1.jpg

marty_trapped1my.jpg

Besides the one above, I do it all the time in the Fall, Winter & early Spring. I have numerous motorcycle leather jackets. I like the grey & silverbelly colors with them the best as they are all black jackets.

Edward

Bartender
The Aero Highwayman would look grand with a fedora, long as you're not phased by the inevitable Indy comments.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, I thought you were a Wested guy. I see the jacket you mean now, I was thinking of his other one (the brown Highwayman). I don't see any reason why you couldn't wear a fedora with that, though obviously it's a jacket that will only really lend itself to casual wear if you go for one with the stripes and patches. I used to wear a black cafe racer style jacket to the office on and off (since replaced with an A2 and an Aero Bootlegger), very similar, though mine was plain, with chrome zips.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although I really like your choice in jacket, I don't think it lends itself to a fedora. On the other hand, you could probably make a pretty good case if you bought it and took pictures with a fedora on. [huh]

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
johnnycanuck said:
I am looking at buying a new leather jacket and and I am leaning towards a Biker style. Kind of like the one you see House wear in the Fox television show. Now does anyone have any opinions on how a fedora and a jacket like that look together? Sharp? Silly? Am I nuts? Any input would be nice.

Johnny
I know the type of jacket from the TV show House that you are referring to.Kid Rock often wears that type of jacket with his tradmark center crease 2 1/8 brim fedora.Kid Rock often wears a Biltmore.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
While I pretty much agree with RP McMurphy, on the other hand, it's hard to find clothing that outright clashes with a fedora.

As for the House motorcycle jacket, while just about any fedora would look fine with it, I'd be more concerned about the versatility of that jacket in general. Compared to the Wested Indy jacket you've been wearing, the House has a much more constricted range when it comes to where it's appropriate to wear.

Plus, you'll have to get the cane, a motorcycle, and a whole new Dr. House attitude!

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Kid Rock definitely pulls that look off. I'm no fan of Kid Rock, or how he dresses typically, but I think his longer hair gives him a sort of bohemian look that kind of subverts how typical 'rules of fashion' and certain 'looks' apply to him or look on him, compared to a regular, adult male with a typical adult hairstyle and related clothes. I mean that as a compliment to the guy, and is probably the first time I've ever complimented Kid Rock in my life, lol.

I'm not saying for sure if I think the look is or isn't going to work on you, because I'm kinda iffy myself. But I'd take into account Kid Rock's hair do and it's effect on his overall look when using the pic as a guide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner