Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Cliche´s - The Car Chase

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bringing back my "Movie Cliche´s" series for a new year.

Ladies and Gentleman, whenever a filmmaker wants to give his film a dose of added excitement he inserts the car chase scene. Sometimes it is necessary to the story, the climax, and other times it is simply shoe-horned in, like the gratuitous car chase in The Rock, but gratuitous or not, I liked it. What's not to like; a Lamborghini chasing an H1 through the streets of San Francisco? My only disappointment was that they didn't go down Lombard Street!

It's difficult not to like car chases.

I leave this thread open to discuss car chases. Do you want to speak about the origins of the car chase scene in Buster Keaton films or the Keystone Cops or some other source? Go right ahead.

Do you want to speak about car chases films of the Golden Era? Please do.

Do you want to simply list your favorite car chases? Absolutely, be my guest, except that I am going to state the two most obvious ones: Bullit and The French Connection. Yes, we know they're great. They set the tone for the modern car chase. Let's dig a little deeper and speak of some others.

Bullit-1.jpg

I have one and it's one of my favorites in all of film: For Your Eyes Only, Bond and Melina have just left the house where Gonzalez was assassinated, and Bond's Lotus Esprit self-desctructs so they pile into her ridiculous Citroën and race these large Peugeot sedans through the streets and then the woods of Spain. "I love a drive in the country. Don't you?"

Citroen%202CV_Bond.jpg

I have dominated the conversation long enough; please, tell you your thoughts on the matter. ;) :)

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I love comedy car chases, like the ones in "What's up, Doc?" and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. For sheer guilty pleasure, the chase through the shopping mall in The Blues Brothers is unequaled. Also from The Blues Brothers, the long, cop-car destroying chase at the end (John Candy: "This is car 55...We're in a truck!").

Of course, the all-time winner has to be the 62-minute chase from Spielberg's made-for-TV classic, Duel.

bingolittle

New in Town
from the overlooked movie 'ronin'......audi a8. very large mercedes with other large sedans winding their way through several french cities.....lots of shots from the front fender!.....very fast and stylish movie.....

Feraud

Bartender
The Road Warrior!
From the opening to the last scenes this film has some of the grittiest car chases set to film. They are not all long chases nor do they take the viewer through a scenic big city but what they appear to lack in substance make up for it in sheer grit, style and direction. The chases in this film are not cops chasing bad guys but the anti-hero driving to survive.

Most car chases thrill us with the possibliltiy of the danger to pedestrians whether it be the mother pushing a baby cart or speeding through crowded city streets. The Road Warrior thrills us with wide open spaces and car chases pitting man against man.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Ah, yes, mothers pushing baby carriages need to be listed with the men carrying large plates of glass, the break-away parking meters, and the exploding fruit stand as among the clich?©s of the car chase. ;)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
so, so many

Now that you mention it, there are so many car chases, it must be a genre on it's own.

A few others:

Terminator - a huge semi trailer chasing this little dirt bike. Hilarious

Matrix II - some say a bit long, but not bad

Then there's the car races:

Grease, Rebel without a cause, Italian Job (original is the best imho) ...

up196

A-List Customer
The other cliche

Hem, your thread brought to mind a discussion I had with a friend some years back.

I wonder what movies would be like if, instead of car chases, the cliche that caught on and was over-used was Stubby Kaye and Nat King Cole as roving troubadors singing ballads like they did in Cat Ballou?

Your imagination may now run wild.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Dukes of Hazzard

My favorite is the biggest car chase scene in history, the entire series of the Dukes of Hazzard. Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane chasing the General Lee through the back woods of Hazzard County. Sometimes, he would even catch the Duke boys. Yeeeeee Haaaahhhhh!!:)

Gray Ghost

Feraud

Bartender
Gray Ghost said:
My favorite is the biggest car chase scene in history, the entire series of the Dukes of Hazzard. Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane chasing the General Lee through the back woods of Hazzard County. Sometimes, he would even catch the Duke boys. Yeeeeee Haaaahhhhh!!:)

Gray Ghost
The awesome contribution of these car chases to the genre was how it would "freeze frame" and go to a commercial! It always kept us kids wondering how the land would turn out! :)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
The awesome contribution of these car chases to the genre was how it would "freeze frame" and go to a commercial! It always kept us kids wondering how the land would turn out! :)

You're forgetting the unique physics it created, which went on to inform most following chase scenes.

No matter how fast you are going on takeoff, the final 2/3's of your time in flight will be spent in slow motion. Normal velocity resumes upon landing.

carebear said:
You're forgetting the unique physics it created, which went on to inform most following chase scenes.

No matter how fast you are going on takeoff, the final 2/3's of your time in flight will be spent in slow motion. Normal velocity resumes upon landing.

Not to mention that the car keeps going when in reality the wheels are gone and the frame is skidding across the road. :p
Also my addition would be the Bond film Diamonds are Forever with Sean Connery driving a 71 Mach 1 Mustang on a chase scene through Vegas. Now that's high roller treatment baby. :p

Regards,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Oh yes. Smokey and the Bandit! An excellent chase film. It's the Burt Reynoldsiest of all Burt Reynolds films.

Wow - am I the first Fedora Lounge member to type the words "Burt Reynolds?"

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
One film that's kept below the radar is 1978's The Driver with Ryan O'Neal. You may change you mind about Bullitt after watching the chase scenes in this one!

Haversack

One Too Many
Also memorable in _1..2..3.._ is the race to Tempelhof with the escutcheon-painter hanging out the car door window while hats are being tried on Pifl and then being thrown out the window.

Another not-exactly-a-chase is the race to the opera house, (really City Hall), across 1970s San Francisco in _Foul Play_.

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred