Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Nightmares??

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I can't say that any movie gave me nightmares, i.e., I dreamed about it. But, some movies kept me awake at night, with the covers over my head.

When I was a kid, I was not scared when I saw King Kong -- instead, I identified with the giant gorilla and cried when he fell off the Empire State Building. In Snow White, which I saw when I was 7 or so, I clapped and cheered when the evil witch fell off a cliff.

However, when I was 12, I saw House of Wax -- there's a scene where they leave you, the audience, all alone in a morgue and a dead body under a sheet suddenly sits up. It turns out to be Vincent Price who sneaks into the morgue to steal a body, but, boy, I saw that film with a bunch of teenage girls, and the screams that eminated from the theatre. I slept with a cover over my head for a few weeks after that.

Psycho unnerved me, too -- especially that scene in the basement towards the end. When Vera Miles turned that rocking chair around, I went ... well, psycho.

Nothing much has bothered me as an adult; I laughed through The Exorcist, was mad at the end of Night of the Living Dead, and was bummed when they blew the shark up in Jaws, at which time a friend who had taken me to see it because the movie had scared her witless, turned to me and said, "Karol, have you ever considered that there's something terribly wrong with you?"

Like John, I do have Godzilla dreams -- he stomps through the city, I try to get in a position to get a good look at him, he never hurts me, and I do not consider those dreams nightmares. I have also have had King Kong dreams, same scenario. A therapist friend of mine called them "lost power" dreams.

I haven't had the dreams in recent years, must have had something to do with my work life.

karol

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
However, when I was 12, I saw House of Wax -- there's a scene where they leave you, the audience, all alone in a morgue and a dead body under a sheet suddenly sits up. It turns out to be Vincent Price who sneaks into the morgue to steal a body, but, boy, I saw that film with a bunch of teenage girls, and the screams that eminated from the theatre. I slept with a cover over my head for a few weeks after that.

any film that has the "dead body sits up and grabs somebody"...omg...its easy to predict when its gonna happen but i usually freak the hell out...hate that...House Of Wax started it too...lol

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
the only one that really got me was when I was little my dad rented John Carpenters "The Thing" I was probably 4 or 5 at the time and the scene with the dogs being taken over by the alien creaped me the hell out.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I remember that, when I was about 10 or so, my family went to the local drive-in theatre and we saw Cat People and also Leopard Man, both Val Lewton movies. Scared the living tar out of me.

Goes to show you -- you can scare people without showing all the gore and guts and dismembering. Lewton's films showed none of that, not even the killings and yet they are scary films.

Again, no nightmares, just hiding under the covers.

karol

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
ok, this movie scared the heck out of me: Session 9. no nightmares, but i had to work to keep it out of my brain for weeks afterward.

that looks pretty good...im going to go look for it at the video store...it'll probly scare the hell outta me but oh well...i like to live dangerously...

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
SamMarlowPI said:
that looks pretty good...im going to go look for it at the video store...it'll probly scare the hell outta me but oh well...i like to live dangerously...

be warned though that it's not a big "things jump out at you" type of movie though. the fear-induction is much more subtle ;)

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
be warned though that it's not a big "things jump out at you" type of movie though. the fear-induction is much more subtle ;)

more like a "walking down the hallway and you start hearing things" type of fear?

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Jurassic Park, because of the scene where the guy loses his glasses in the rain and can't really escape that poison-spitting dinosaur thing...before I got contacts, losing my glasses and then meeting my demise due to speeding cars/zombies/sharks/tall buildings was a common theme in my nightmares.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Spiffy said:
Jurassic Park, because of the scene where the guy loses his glasses in the rain and can't really escape that poison-spitting dinosaur thing...before I got contacts, losing my glasses and then meeting my demise due to speeding cars/zombies/sharks/tall buildings was a common theme in my nightmares.

yet everyone laughs when the lawyer gets eaten off of the toilet lol

~*Red*~

Practically Family
They weren't nightmares per say, but for many nights I dreamt of orcs and elves after watching LOTR.lol It was always some battle and lots of running away.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
There were several instances in "Seven" that I jumped a little...
The guy who was strapped to a bed and the camera caught a tight shot of him awakening when the cops got there.....

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
There were several instances in "Seven" that I jumped a little...
The guy who was strapped to a bed and the camera caught a tight shot of him awakening when the cops got there.....

yah that part'll make ya' jump back...

Badluck Brody

Practically Family

The John Carpenter flick Prince of Darkness!!

With the 1st person video footage, the location in an old church/rectory, the vagrant minions and roaches thing... and the fella getting impaled with the broken bike!!

Not to mention it was a tequilla night!!!:eek:

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
They're coming to get you Barbra.....

Just about any zombie movie will give me nightmares! Yup, and sometimes I will have zombie nightmares without even seeing a zombie movie.

My all time favorite Zombie Movie for nightmares....the original Night of the Living Dead! Gotta love George Romero:D

Now get the hell down in the cellar. You can be the boss down there, but I'm boss up here!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i had a nightmare last night that i was eating a McDonalds hamburger..just about scared the hell outta me...i was observing the local McDonalds for a class last night and mustve just stuck in my head...nasty...

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
rebelgtp said:
the only one that really got me was when I was little my dad rented John Carpenters "The Thing" I was probably 4 or 5 at the time and the scene with the dogs being taken over by the alien creaped me the hell out.
The scene were they are using the defibulators and the guys chest opens up is the worst. I never got nightmres but it stayed with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy