Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Nightmares??

Moby

Familiar Face
Is there a particular movie that gave you nightmares? Tell us about it. My nightmare movie was the original 1933 version of "King Kong".

When I was 6 years old my parents took my sister and I to New York City and we did the usual tourist things. Statue of Liberty, Empire State building and Times Square. This was a long time ago.

Remember I'm only 6 years old. Well, the original version of King Kong was showing in a Times Square theater. My parents decided it might be a good kids movie! I was terrified! My Mom said that I stood in the aisle for the whole movie and wouldn't sit down. In the movie King Kong was loose in New York City. We were in New York City! As you remember the final scene of the movie took place on top of the Empire State building. The very place we had visited a couple of hours before! After we left the theater I kept scanning all the high buildings to see where King Kong might be.

Well, I had nightmares about King Kong for years after that. And I mean years! I'm OK now, Ha! Ha! I can watch the original King Kong now without nightmares. Do you have a "nightmare" movie in your life?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i think IT still has me spooked...i can watch it fine but a year or so ago i remember a pitch black nightmare and Pennywise's face kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger and i woke up screaming and sweating...it was really really strange. never had a dream like that ever. and watching all the vampire movies i used to pull the comforter up around my neck to keep the vampires from my veins...lol silly...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I saw "The Ring" several years ago, I couldn't sleep in any room with a TV set in it for a long while after.

We're getting "The Orphanage" in a couple of weeks, and I'm dreading having to be in the projection booth for it -- it looks like the kind of dark and creepy thing that really gives me the willies.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"Copycat" with Harry Connick Jr. When I was in college, my boyfriend and I went over to his brother's house to watch it. I protested since those types of movies ALWAYS stick with me, but er watched it anyway. I was so spooked that I didn't even want to leave the house and go home!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i can't think of any movies that have given me nightmares. however, i'm currently getting over a particularly nasty virus, and had a weekend of high fevers and hallucinations. i had spent all my time watching all three seasons of Arrested Development, and so the entire Bluth family showed up in my hallucination-ish dreams, over and over. i couldn't get rid of them for three nights! lol

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The idea of the Bluths invading your subconscious made me chuckle SSB (I hope you're feeling better, by the way).

I've had a couple movie related nightmares. The Wicked Witch of the West completely freaked me out as a child (come to think of it, she still scares me as an adult--I think it's the fact that she takes such joy in her evil).

As an adult it's usually rape scenes or women being beaten that disturb me enough to infiltrate my dreams. I avoid them if at all possible. I walked out of A Clockwork Orange but not soon enough. There were a couple scenes in What's Love Got To Do With It that were tough too. There was a British film from the early 90's that really upset me (although it was really well done)--the title was similar to Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms, but it wasn't the Capote story at all. I've blocked it out but I think I had a bad dream about that one as well.

RIOT

Practically Family
I enjoy watching scary movies and I watch it all the time but for some reason or another the only movie that I have not been able to watch at it's entirety more than twice is THE EXORCIST! Maybe I'll give it another try during the DAY TIME with all the window curtains WIDE open lol

Does anyone here have the original movie of Three Men and a Baby? I rented this not too long ago to watch the scenes with the "ghost kid" extra in it but for some reason it was not there anymore! They had edited or cleaned up those scenes! [huh]

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
RIOT said:
Does anyone here have the original copy of Three Men and a Baby? I rented this not too long ago to watch the scenes with the "ghost" extra in the movie and it seems they had cleaned up those window and doorway scenes on the DVD copy I had? [huh]

isn't that the comedy with Tom Selleck?

RIOT

Practically Family
SamMarlowPI said:
isn't that the comedy with Tom Selleck?

Yup that's the one. There was a scene where you could see a human figure outside it and this was filmed at an actual high-rise apartment location. Another scene had an outline shadowy figure of a little boy standing next to a door in a hallway. I had to see the movie a second time after I had heard about it when it was still showing in the movie theaters to verify this and it was there. Not sure why they had to clean this out of the DVD version.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Aliens
I had a nightmare about Jeepers Creepers and I have never even seen it. I usually will turn on TCM or Disney after 7pm because I hate horror movie commercials. I'm the biggest wuss ever.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Poltergeist.
So many childhood nightmares.....living meat, television sucking you inside, trees that are evil, dead people buried under your house, and worst of all, that scary short lady's voice!!!
Also when I watch Ghost Hunters alone in my apartment (because I am a dork) I get really jumpy...it's those damn EVP voices that frighten me irrationally!

The Shirt

Practically Family
This make upset some of our fedora wearers, but alas Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. My sister and brother snuck me into the theater when it first came out unbeknowst to my parents. I wailed every night for weeks that people's faces were melting off. Boy did they get in trouble when it all came out. I still look away when that scene comes on.

Also It - that's the clown in the sewer one right? I cannot ride my bike very close to one of those because I am convinced my bike will spontaneously tip to the side and get sucked into the sewer. Me along with it, where I will spend my days trying to claw my way back to the surface. I dream of that often.

One more - Any movie with demon puppets. There was a scary one out a few years ago (cannot think of the name and refuse to look it up) that even the 30 second commercial gave me nightmares for weeks. I think that the basis/start of this though was actually on an episode of Fantasy Island with Annette Funicello and Catherine Bach with a creepy sadistic puppet.

However Jaws - love it and will one day swim with sharks.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
This make upset some of our fedora wearers, but alas Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

No offense taken - that was way scary and too over the top. I LOVE the opening scene of that movie but can't watch it when all of the tortue stuff starts happening.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The original The Hills Have Eyes 1977. Kidnapping, cooking and eating tourists completely freaked me out. besides, you see those people at the mall all the time, you know?

Also Magic from 1978, Anthony Hopkins as a demented ventriloquist.
MAGIC78.jpg

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Jaws gave me a few nightmares when I was little since I couldn't swim (and still can't!) which usually consisted of me drowning. I remember my mum running in once so I must have been making noises or screaming. I liked IT and it didn't give me nightmares but made me have a fear of drains and sinks lol I started watching horror films when I was about 7 and remember watching Nightmare on Elm Street when I was really young and the scene where the girl is drained in the classroom freaked me out a bit.

More recently I'd have to say The Ring and The Grudge (Japanese versions). There is something about Japanese horror and the imagery of the girl with the long hair that scares the living daylights out of me. Seriously, I couldn't sleep for weeks after seeing both films. After seeing those two I can't watch any more Japanese horror as it's just not worth the sleepness nights afterwards. I am a huge horror film lover but those films are a big no no for me! A pat on the back for the Asian horror film makers though as they are the only films which I consider scary and remain with you for a long time afterwards.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
As an adult it's usually rape scenes or women being beaten that disturb me enough to infiltrate my dreams. I avoid them if at all possible. I walked out of A Clockwork Orange but not soon enough. .

I agree whole heartedly! My ex rented Clockwork Orange when we were dating and I started whigging out and made him turn it off. I was horrified that anyone would think that a great movie.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
When a Stranger Calls, the original Halloween, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre top my list. Any scary movie that's resembles reality prompts me to sleep with the lights on!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Barbigirl said:
I agree whole heartedly! My ex rented Clockwork Orange when we were dating and I started whigging out and made him turn it off. I was horrified that anyone would think that a great movie.

i agree, i didn't care for it either. maybe i didn't understand it...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy