Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to Miami, any suggestions?

Rhabryn

Familiar Face
Hey Everyone, I am off to Miami soon for another exciting year of academics.

Anyone have any suggestions on:
Thrift shops with descent suits?
Strategies on keeping dry (sweat)?
Suggestions on how to get-by with a closet full of Leather-Soled shoes when it rains almost every day? (I am thinking of having Toppys put on)
Any FLoungers in the area?
etc...

vintage68

Practically Family
This won't be helpful, but I only managed to make it in Florida a year. Born and raised in the west, the bugs and humidity were just too much for me, especially the humidity.

I didn't wear a single piece of my vintage wardrobe the whole year, and I'm something of a clothes horse. No surprise there! ;) I wore shorts and flip-flops nearly the entire time.

I wasn't able to find any decent shops for vintage either, but I admit I was pretty dispirited by the whole thing, figuring I would buy something and never have a chance to wear it. You might have better luck.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Rainy Season - June through September/October - yes it rains usually every day, no you should not have to worry about leather-soled shoes, sweating is a problem no matter what you wear

Dry Season - October/November through May - usually very pleasant temps and low humidity (although May can get hot), evenings can actually get cool (50-60 degrees), infrequent rains, this is the time of year when you can wear the most variety

-also-
Rainy season = hurricane season = hot = no snowbirds
Dry season = fire season = cool/warm = crowds everywhere

Sorry, no advice on good thrift shops. My experience, at least here on the gulf coast, is there are none. Everyone seems to drop off their good stuff in thrift stores up north before they move here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24