Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr John hats

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
Excuse my intrusion to the powder room, but I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post to tap the interests of our lounge ladies :) ...my grandmother once worked as a milliner for 'Mr John'. I was curious if anyone might have any Mr John hats they'd like to show off? I know little of the name, but it sounds as if they were especially popular among stars of Hollywood, his most famous work being for "Gone with the Wind".

...I'd love to learn more, if anyone has anything to share :)

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Wow, that is so neat about your grandmother working for Mr. John! I actually have a Mr. John hat, but it's not in the greatest condition. It's still adorable though; I'll have to see if I can find it so that I can take a picture. There's some good info here.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
The firm was originally called John-Fredericks, and was a partnership of John P. John and Frederick Hirst. The two parted ways in 1948, and that is when Mr. John was formed. He worked making hats until the late 70s, when the hat business had all but dried up.

He was a real character. I've read interviews he did in the 60s and 70s, and to be an old guy, he really fit in well with those times!

Is your grandmother still alive?

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
fuzzylizzie said:
Is your grandmother still alive?

No, she died last year at 91

thanks for all the great info folks :) My mom tells me she made some exquisite hats... I wish we had some that she had made!

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
Foofoogal said:
The one I have listed is from the 1970s. I so love hats.

I am sure you miss your grandmother. So sorry.

It looks very nice! I'm keeping my eyes open for one that fits my wife, hopefully from the 40's or 50's... that way we can say that grandma might have made it haha

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have a few John Fredericks hat patterns and i have see a few Mr john Patterns that i love. There was an amazing 60's fedora pattern which I din't have a picture of and this adorable one.
3928_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy