Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Collection To Date

Hi All!
I thought I'd get some pictures of my hats, so you may see what struck my fancy.

My first hat is a Stetson Sovreign in Grey that I got about 8 + years ago at the Hats Mart on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena CA, after watching "Mulholland Falls" with Nick Nolte.
Project35.png

My second is my father's Borsalino which his cousin Charlie Freund picked up in Italy while in th US Navy. A Green/Grey probably 1950's maybe late 40's? Had it re-worked at Baron's in Burbank.
Project36.png

THis 3rd is a straw from Dobbs called "Rogue" and it makes me feel like I am either on vacation or ready to play the ponies or maybe bet on those greyhounds.
Project34.png

Number 4 is another Dobbs a 'Westward' which is an Open Road clone. It is a very thin fur felt in an off white / ivory color. (Is this silver belly?)
Project37.png

Next is #5 a new addition, after reading at the Lounge that there were some inexpensive fur felt hats at the Burlington Coat Factory, I had to check it out. Hockel is the brand name. and it seems ok. I steamed it a little to give it a pinch in the front, and it is a nice medium brown.
Project38.png

Sixth is a pith helmet I do use in the hot Southern California summer sun such as moving the lawn at church.
Project33.png

Last is a Stratton? Campaign Hat the DI style noted as Beaver Quality I got from Ranger Joe's. I haven't worn it much but it is fun. (I'd like to put together an old old style Scout Master type uniform for camping maybe.)
Project32.png

Now I'd love to add a number to this such as something from Art, a newsboy cap, greek fisherman or merchant marine type cap and an English Officer's WWI trench cap. And then there's all those vintage ones. As long as I am breathing and have a head, I figure I will be collecting hats.;)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
As long as I am breathing and have a head, I figure I will be collecting hats.;)

Gotta love it.

Like those Dobbs and the Borsalino, too.
Okay, I admit it- I like the pith helmet as well.
I assume the pith is new?

deanglen

Very nice collection, John. #5 looks very familiar, I'm pretty sure I bought four of those for different Loungers and each of them has raved about theirs and how nice it is. #'s 2, 4, and of course 7, even with the montana peak are my favorites. Excellent choices all!

dean

DOUGLAS

Nicely done John! That Dobbs is in great shape and the Borsalino is just...well Beautiful.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Last is a Stratton? Campaign Hat the DI style noted as Beaver Quality I got from Ranger Joe's. I haven't worn it much but it is fun. (I'd like to put together an old old style Scout Master type uniform for camping maybe.)
Project32.png

Hey,

The scout store has an awesome hat pin for that hole on the front. I'll try to get a pic up for you sometime over the holiday. Thanks for sharing. I've been meaning to do a thread like this myself.

Kevin

Thanks!!!

deanglen said:
Very nice collection, John. #5 looks very familiar, I'm pretty sure I bought four of those for different Loungers and each of them has raved about theirs and how nice it is. #'s 2, 4, and of course 7, even with the montana peak are my favorites. Excellent choices all!
dean
Yup after the post on BCF, I had to go and I looked at every hat I could find. Went thru About 35 of them I could see, there were just a couple of the fur felts and this one was the only one that was close to a fit. Even though it is marked 7-1/8th I needed to put some strips of paper behind the sweat to cinch it up a bit. It is a nice brown that goes with a lot. I wore it to the pen fair with my Hawiian shirt and they complemented each other.
Project24.png

:)

Share your collection!

Kevin Popejoy said:
Hey,
The scout store has an awesome hat pin for that hole on the front. I'll try to get a pic up for you sometime over the holiday. Thanks for sharing. I've been meaning to do a thread like this myself.
Kevin
Hi Kevin!
I look forward to seeing the pin and eagerly await your collection photos!
Thanks!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
:eek: Eek, stay away from young children with that on...

PS, the gold cord means it's an officer's hat – in the old Army days anyway. For DI style, lose the cord and wear the brim so far down you need to be 6" from anyone's face to look 'em in the eye. And DO NOT SMILE. :mad:

Mark G

A-List Customer
Very nice collection. I love the pith helmet. Up until a year ago I thought, wow, that takes some guts to wear. I didn't realize that they were made of cork pith and covered in canvas. When the hat was dipped in water it soaked it up like a sponge and kept the wearer cool from the evaporating water. How "cool" is that.

Stoked!

Mark G said:
Very nice collection. I love the pith helmet. Up until a year ago I thought, wow, that takes some guts to wear. I didn't realize that they were made of cork pith and covered in canvas. When the hat was dipped in water it soaked it up like a sponge and kept the wearer cool from the evaporating water. How "cool" is that.

I will have to try to soak this one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany