Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My friend's new G1 Jacket

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
Went to the flea market and picked up this (presumably) G1 jacket, then came home and immediately sold it to a friend who had been looking for one. Fits him like a glove. It's in good shape too, given other older jackets of this type I've picked up for cheap over the years. Nylon liner is perfectly intact. I've recommended Picard to soften up the natural stiffness of the goatskin, and suggested that he not replace the damaged knits but instead have the originals repaired. I'm guessing this is from the 50s, maybe 60s.

Anyone have anything to add? He was also wondering if there was a good way to clean the fake fur collar.

ShannonsG1b.JPG shannonsG1a.JPG

Went to the flea market and picked up this (presumably) G1 jacket, then came home and immediately sold it to a friend who had been looking for one. Fits him like a glove. It's in good shape too, given other older jackets of this type I've picked up for cheap over the years. Nylon liner is perfectly intact. I've recommended Picard to soften up the natural stiffness of the goatskin, and suggested that he not replace the damaged knits but instead have the originals repaired. I'm guessing this is from the 50s, maybe 60s.

Anyone have anything to add? He was also wondering if there was a good way to clean the fake fur collar.

View attachment 2063 View attachment 2062

Picard's won't hurt...but it doesn't soften naturally stiff leather.
Helps a bit with dry, damaged leather....protects it from drying out more...darkens craking from it's worn, dehydrated appearance..but actual flexibility, not in my experience.
Goatskin in particular is very resilient to wear/abrasion/aging...and the goop we try to put on it to soften it. :D
Think of putting lotion on dry skin.
It smoothes out the scratchy dry spots...but the underlying flexibility remains the same.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Dynal collar puts it post 1969. The straight edged pocket flaps also tell me it is a E-series jacket. Most of the E-series jackets have white spec tags, as does this one. Only a very few E-series Star Sportswears from 1972 had black tags. My guess, from this distance, is that it is a '70s Brill or Imperial Leather. But it is definitely an E-series G-1.

AF

Post Edit: I just clicked onto your image of the jacket and enlarged it. I think it is an E-series Cooper. The collar looks like the material Cooper uses and there's a seam at the top of the zipper box that is unique to Cooper. I'd be able to tell for sure if I could read the tag.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24