Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My HPA ELC A2 Pearl Harbor is finally here!

kinabalu222

New in Town
Well, after 10 very long weeks, it finally arrived. It took especially long for me because I received and returned a sizing jacket first, then they ordered it from England where it had to be made, then received it and had to forward it to me here in Hong Kong so it's been an epic process. Overall I'm very happy with the jacket, it fits well and looks great on and off me! It looks good just lying on the bed. They did forget to apply the USAAF stencil on the left shoulder, I really wanted that and MAY send it back to have it applied next summer. I'd talked extensively in another thread about struggling with deciding on whether to get an all-new jacket or the Pearl Harbor you see here. I think I'm happy with my decision although I did noticed when compared to the all new version (the sizing jacket they sent), this version seemed to not be put together as well. (I've attached one photo of the new version at the bottom for your comparison) Here are some examples:

-The left pocket flap does not line up with the pocket, they were perfect on the new version.
-The waist elastic band seem loose and stretched.
-The throat hook is not well-aligned.
-The edges of the shoulder epaulettes are rough and you can see the leather fibers.

Overall it just does not seem to be as refine and finished. I'm not sure if all this was done on purpose since it is supposed to be "weathered" or worn with a few mission scars behind it. All I know is they charge the same price!!

I think knowing what I know now, I still would have chosen this version just because it looks so cool slightly battered.

Feel free to share your thoughts and thanks for reading this long thread.

3101512191_65386e84fc_b.jpg

3101511645_8292e3a276_b.jpg

3101513501_a1b5f2e913_b.jpg

3102345480_c79c693976_b.jpg

3101574515_e50b52b3e7_b.jpg

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
It looks great mate !!!
The 'flaws' make it like an original. There are a lot of people who pay extra for that sort of authenticity !!

Enjoy it in good health, it'll only get better with time.

Dave

Burnsie

I have to agree, that looks like Leather with a capital L. I don't own any Eastman's but the pics I've seen of the newer models (time worn, broken grain, etc.) look REALLY good! Great jacket!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Hey that's pretty nice! To be honest I've never been too enthralled with Eastmans. While they always looked to be very well made, they just never seemed to have much character. Yours seems to have a lot of potential for character development. If you get it wet and wear it till it's dry, it'll really look great.

fedoralover

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
fedoralover said:
Hey that's pretty nice! To be honest I've never been too enthralled with Eastmans. While they always looked to be very well made, they just never seemed to have much character. Yours seems to have a lot of potential for character development. If you get it wet and wear it till it's dry, it'll really look great.

fedoralover

This is a standard Eastman house A2, it's taken quite a few years wear to get the look though, but I reckon it has character?:)
I prefer my Pearl Harbour because of it's trimmer fit though.
elca.jpg

elcb.jpg

elcc.jpg

elcd.jpg

elce.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful jacket Kina which will just get better and better.

Nothing wrong with your one Ethan, an absolute beauty.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I must say that Eastman DOES have the character I like. My apologies for generalizing. I'm used to them looking like this one. But I realize it's a personal like or dislike thing. Some like them to always look fairly new. Nothing wrong with that. Your's is exceptional I must say.

eastman.jpg

fedoralover

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Was there anything in particular that helped it gain that kind of character, ethanedwards? That gives me renewed hope.

No, not really Scotrace..... I used to wear it all the time, in really cold weather I would still wear it with another bigger jacket - M-65 - over the top - maybe this promotes abrasion? I always used to carrying a camel-back slung over one shoulder too, which might have helped. It's been wet with rain a fair few times - easily done in England - although I've always been too faint-hearted to try the more extreme methods mentioned on other threads here. I have never nourished it, which could be a mistake in the long run?
I guess it is around 12 to 15 years old though, does leather just become more grainy with time, as the natural oils etc dry out?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Patience is the key then. I wear mine all the time, under other coats also. I never hang it up but throw it on the floor in the closet, wear it in the rain any chance I get. It's better than when new, but it has a very long way to go to look like yours, which looks like an original.

kinabalu222

New in Town
ethanedwards said:
This is a standard Eastman house A2, it's taken quite a few years wear to get the look though, but I reckon it has character?:)
I prefer my Pearl Harbour because of it's trimmer fit though.
QUOTE]

Ethan,
I remember seing your photos of your Pearl Harbor and I think I like yours even better than mine. Somehow it just looked richer and softer and I think it had even more "wear" than mine. I guess that's the beauty of leather, no two hides are the same.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Ethan,
I remember seing your photos of your Pearl Harbor and I think I like yours even better than mine. Somehow it just looked richer and softer and I think it had even more "wear" than mine. I guess that's the beauty of leather, no two hides are the same.[/QUOTE]

I think it's an illusion! I always think other people's jackets look better than mine! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24