Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My latest Vintage jacket... re-run

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
This morning- to my great delight and relief, my long awaited early '40s USN aviator M-422a jacket arrived safely after 8 months of non-stop world travel in the evil clutches of ParcelForce UK. It's in bril condition and it fits perfect. Some of the old USN flight jackets are a little on the small side per size but this size 42 is spot-on for me.
It's made by 'Edmund T. Church Co.'. The Goatskin needs a conditioning after being squashed up for so long- need to get it moistened up a bit and shape it out- get the wrinkles out. The mouton collar is in mint condition and the knit cuff and waist parts are good- but could take replacing in a few years- plenty of NOS original knit around for thes jackets.
The M-422/a jackets began production pre-WW2 (after the A-1 and B-2 leather/shearling styles)and evolved post-war into the 55-J-14 and later G-1 series of USN aviation jackets, which are still in use by the USN today.
One of the nicer vintage jackets I've ever had and a perfect wearer.
And only $300... which was nice...
HLBlock_front.jpg

This type of thing but this example is from a different maker and mine's much nicer styled, nicer knit and collar mouton colour and better overall condition- he..he...
Here's a Japanese repro for some details-
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/kitarou/102605/136929/
Tokyo Joe style-
B
T

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
What a great find

Eight months? And you didn't chew your foot off?
That is QUITE a jacket and a good buy at 300 clams. What's the colo(u)r? Seal? What's your leather softener of choice?
And of course, when do we get an ensemble picture? Position Ms. Tank in the background, so we have something nice to look at besides your jacket...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I have some Supermarket-bought gunge in the form of a white 'creme'- it's for fine shoes, leather sofas, etc. The kind you put on sparingly, leave alone and then buff-off- doesn't alter/darken the colour. I also have some stuff from Aero leather, which is very light hide food/waterproofing. I don't want to use a miracle leather rejuvenating product- don't think I'd ever buy anything that needed that much care. Miracles seldom occur with old leather.
The jacket's kinda sorta 'dark chocolate colour.
Don't have a camera at present-
Mrs. Tank is in the Belly way... and doing her medicine finals-
not feeling like a jacket backdrop lately.

B
T

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Congratulations on the jacket!
Excellent find!
Not to change the subject too dramatically, but did you ever find a source for
gabardine shirts a la late '40's- early '50's style?
I just won some Nat Nast silk ones off eBay and I got to thinking about an earlier thread you had posted, mostly because these shirts have the fit and detailing of some of the casual shirts of that era.

P.S.- good luck to Mrs. Tank!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi- I've been meaning to follow up on that actually-
It's gone into a bit of a stall over the last half year- we've both been busy- it was my wife who was making the contacts and sorting it- just too busy.
We're moving in the next month or so and getting ready to have a kid- so hopefully when we're settled, I/we can get back into my interests again.

Plenty of good stuff on eBay lately, I've noticed.
Thanks for asking Flit'.

Oh and leather treatment- I ended up using the old faithful-
Johnsons 'Pledge' furniture wax in an aerosol- it's the best and the easiest-
believe it.
B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats