Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Modified A-2; how's the fit?

Banzai

Familiar Face
Here's my A-2 from US Authentic. I ordered a custom 36 Short, and then had G-1 style underarm gussets added because the jacket was a bit constricting when reaching forward. I know it's not a pure reproduction, and now with the gussets it's not anywhere close, but what do you think about the overall fit?

I wonder sometimes if I had it shortened a little too much. I'm not sure where exactly it should sit around my waist. The cruddy "Cockpit" one that was issued to me is 4 sizes too big, so is not a good template to judge against. I'll be looking to replace that one soon...I was going to with this, but couldn't bring myself to stitch velcro to it in order to make it a uniform item.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Looks pretty good form where I sit. Yes, it could be longer but some here will say that's spot on. Sleeves are maybe a little long but may settle. I'd be happy if I were you. How much for the customization?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Looks fine. The knits seem to be quite wide in comparison to others, so any longer on the body and it would look odd.

Banzai

Familiar Face
It can ride up just a tiny bit. And yes, I think the sleeves could have been a touch shorter, but I was a bit more cautious on that length, since leather sleeves can shorten some on their own as they crease.

So I sized the body length to end the leather portion right at my "natural" waist, which places the knits just over my belt on my normal-rise pants, or my Levis.

As far as my issue jacket: I usually wear a size 36 or 38 sportcoat, depending on the cut. I don't remember which size I told the guy at supply, but the guy said that I'd want extra room in a leather jacket, and issued me a 42. Which, being a modern issue, is sized large, so it probably fits like a 44. I didn't have a mirror to look in, and it felt good enough (because it was super loose), so I went with it. And that's how military "fit" works. The thing was like a sack.

Shaul charge me $70 for the gussets on horsehide. However, had I done it at the beginning, it would have been part of his standard customization charge, which got me the modified lengths, and some interior pockets. It was a year later when I went back for the gussets, since the arms were very constrictive reaching forward and up.

Banzai

Familiar Face
Sorry to bump my own thread, but - ignoring the fact that it's not historically accurate - what do you think of the G-1-style gusset modification?

I'm still sixes on it. On the one hand, it does make movement easier. On the other, they seem to naturally bulge "out", rather than fold "in", particularly on the back, where you can see them popping out like little footballs. I haven't figured out a way to remedy this.

The jacket is horsehide, seal brown, regarding the earlier question about the color. Maybe horsehide is just too thick to do gussets like that? After all, the G-1 is exclusively goat. Around those gussets there are a lot of seams, and seams in horsehide are pretty stiff business.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to bump my own thread, but - ignoring the fact that it's not historically accurate - what do you think of the G-1-style gusset modification?

I'm still sixes on it. On the one hand, it does make movement easier. On the other, they seem to naturally bulge "out", rather than fold "in", particularly on the back, where you can see them popping out like little footballs. I haven't figured out a way to remedy this.

The jacket is horsehide, seal brown, regarding the earlier question about the color. Maybe horsehide is just too thick to do gussets like that? After all, the G-1 is exclusively goat. Around those gussets there are a lot of seams, and seams in horsehide are pretty stiff business.

I didn't want to be that guy but since you are asking about it. I think it looks out of place and makes the jacket look very bulky and awkward.
What i like about the A2 is that the high arm holes and trim body give a nice silhouette, you kinda lost that.
I understand you were probably looking for function rather than looks, but IMO it comes at at high price.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, if I had a jacket that wasn't working for me, I'd just get shot of it and find one that does. The moment you start backward engineer a jacket to make it work for you, it just begins to look 'off'. As Carlos says, with the A-2 it's the trim simplicity of the silhouette that in part makes it a winner. You lose that, you begin to lose a lot of what has made it a long-standing classic.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
For future reference, the ANJ-3 has underarm gussets as well as action back for mobility but lacks the basic simplicity of the A-2 as others have said. All in all yours appears to be a very functional jacket though.

Banzai

Familiar Face
In retrospect, a G-1 would have worked better. It is a far superior jacket. But, as an Air Force pilot, I had nonsensical notions about wearing USN jackets.

My issue A-2 was very easy to move in, but it was several sizes too big, and looked accordingly awful. This A-2 fit nicely, but bound my upper arms when reaching.

I will say, having worked with the Army, it is entirely typical of the Army to favor form well over function in the design of...well...anything. That was as true then as it is today.

Given the money I have in this, I'll keep working to break in those arm gussets. And perhaps, in time, get a G-1.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The ANJ-3 was designed for ASAF and USN aviators. It's a shame the ANJ-3 developed so little traction as the design brought out the best features of the A-2 and G-1.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
A lot of the ability to reach forward is actually influenced by the sleeve diameter at that biceps, rather than the width of the back or the presence of gussets or back swings.
This A2 probably had trim biceps, making it hard to reach forward.

(my girlfriend was looking at the pictures over my shoulder and said "it looks like he has leather vaginas under his arms...")

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
Hi Banzai

what is your height and weight??
I have 5'10 and now 165Lbs ( before 190 lbs) and 44" chest . My A2 us auth it size 44. Now i decided send back to Shaul reduce the size( waist circumference and sleeve )of 2-3 '' Sleeves of these jackets are very long I do not know why Shaul doing so long.
I Understand YOURS The problem as lay in the narrow sleeves.

Last edited:
It does look a bit odd, now that it's been mentioned and... Well, I simply cannot understand what is it that prevents the football gussets from folding 'in'? They look well made, albeit perhaps too large, but it looks like they should function. If the gussets were good, I'm positive nobody would notice any of it. Schott's really great at making these football underarms, what they call 'em, as they quickly become unnoticeable on their jackets once they blend in with the creases.

(my girlfriend was looking at the pictures over my shoulder and said "it looks like he has leather vaginas under his arms...")

Ouch! This alone would be enough for me to sell the jacket... XD

Finding the perfect jacket(s) can be fun. Usually it's fun and frustrating as hell, with lots of trial and error(s).
I agree with what the guys above have said, but having a father from the USAF and a USMC brother, I get not wanting to wear something from the Army. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart